Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I CAN'T STOP EATING!! Scared...

Hey there - I was banded on Aug 20th and since being back on solid foods I can't say that I have been a stellar student. Before that I was the perfect patient, but once I got back to solids I found I was easily able to eat more and more. My dh works out of town so half of the time I am on my own. The other 1/2 I've been eating what the rest of the family does (my dh is a wonderful cook and often has supper ready by the time I get home from work as he is on days off when he is home). I didn't even realize that I was eating way too much. Then I remembered the cup to cup & 1/2 rule and saw it on one of the forums and it reiterated what I had forgotten... that we are to stick to one & half cups of food... I've been going way overboard. I'm also in that "Bandster Hell" stage where I have no restriction so everything goes through the stoma very easily, which means I think of food a lot and I am hungry often. I've tried since to cut the portions down but I am still scared that through all of this I may have stretched my pouch. And, to make things worse I had a TERRIBLE Binge on Sunday night... it was bad. I would drink Water to flush the pouch out between eating more and drink to flush the pouch and eat more... it was awful! My first fill isn't for another week and a half. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?? There is no fluro where I get my fills. Does anyone know of any other way to tell if my pouch is stretched? Should I go to straight fluids for a few days again? I just feel scared and frustrated with myself. Any help at all would be so appreciated!!

Stace

I would call and see if you can have your fill moved up. That seems like a long time to get a fill? I was just banded on Sept 30th and my first fill is Nov 12 and I am starting to really feel hungry so I am thinking to give it another week and call and see if I can have my fill sooner! Hang in there you can do this....you didnt go through all this to fail! Good luck to you!!

Stace,

I haven't been on the board for a few weeks, and tonight I decide to get on and your message is the first thing I see. I was drawn to your post immediately.

I can almost completely relate to what you are going through. Except I have had my first fill, where my doctor said he filled me up about 25% full. I was nauseous that first day, and then after a couple of days, I was able to eat almost back to the way I did before the band. I guess I'm doing ok in that I've lost 40 lbs total, but just today, I've had too many calories, and I can eat and eat if I let myself. I'm surviving on 25% band and 75% willpower right now.

So, to answer your post, (or not), I don't know how you can tell if the pouch stretches. I think I would be more worried if I was stretching it AFTER being completely filled. I am so curious to hear from some people who have found success with their fills and give me some encouragement as to when I can expect to feel full. When I saw my doc for my first fill, he asked me was I measuring my portions....uh, no. Was I exercising...uh, no. But I'm not snacking. I just want to feel some dang restriction and don't go back to the doc till November 19th. I can't believe you haven't had a fill yet.

I know that some of my crazy eating days have been spurred on by hormones, but today, I just went crazy for no reason. I can eat just about everything in large quantities. I think the thing we need to remember is that Protein fills us up sooner whether we have been banded or not, so I think we both need to eat pure solid protein first and foremost. I know that after eating chicken breast, I am full very fast. My doctor also recommends HALF cup serviings...not the cup and a half that you mentioned. And that is hard also.

I feel for you because I know where you are coming from. I wish you luck and look forward to other responses.

Bonnie

Thanks so much guys - I appreciate your kinds words and that you can understand where I am coming from. My fill has to stay Nov 1st unfortunately because I have to travel 2 1/2 hrs away and it was the first date that I could get that works for the RN performing it, myself and my husband's schedules. I'll be booking my second one right away in hopes I can get in again early Dec. (I'm guessing that I'll need more than one fill for sure!).

Bonnie, I hadn't posted anything on this site for over a month myself so I think just getting back on here and conversing with folks going through the same thing will help all in itself. CONGRATULATIONS ON 40 POUNDS!!! That is so tremendous! I'm at 20 now (gained 3 back). So far tonite I haven't eaten a thing since 8PM and definitely won't now, but I will have some more water...

And I will keep my exercise regimen up. I started back at CURVES last Saturday and joined the Smart program which is a great workout. Thanks so much again for your encouragement guys! You are so right - I haven't come this far to let old habits and demons win!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!! xoxox Stace

Are you getting in all of your Protein? Today was the first day that I got close to the 60g my Dr. recommends and I was not hungry all day and had to make myself eat something solid. I HATE all the Protein Drinks :grouphug: but have to admit it helped control my hunger today.

I know that my doc discourages the use of Protein drinks unless he says to use them because liquids go right through the band, and solid protein is the best option. But I do like being able to have one once in a while to get back on track. Maybe that's what I better do. At least for a day or two.

You will get through this!

I think the fear that "my tool" was not working drove me down the same road prior to my first fill. As per usual maladaptive/overeating behavior, that fear was enough to make me want to eat more cuz I'm thinking "it ain't working anyway right??" stupid thinking! (does that make sense). Remember, this is a temporary situation. It will improve! Get that fill and you will notice a great change. Don't be so hard on yourself, start over new today!

I was told 1/2 cup of food as well, not 1 1/2 cup. Maybe that is part of the problem??

Good luck fellow Saskatchewanian!

P.S.

I love your dogs!

Thank you all for this wonderful advice! :blushing: Everything you have all said makes so much sense. I am so relieved in knowing that in all likelihood my pouch is just fine. That was my biggest worry of all. Since losing it with thast terrible binge, :sad_smile: I have gone back onto ShrinkYourself.com as of Sunday so I can work on my emotional eating issues again (I think they will always need to be worked on!) and I will also get back onto TheDailyPlate.com and start tracking my intake again. I appreciate that you have all sent your warm support and so I will take your kind advice and stop beating myself up. What's done is done and I can only move on. Today is a good day-thanks largely in part to your responses. :rolleyes2: I am going to CURVES for a good workout right after work, and I can not wait to get sweating again!

One day at a time... I just gotta remember that!

Thanks again everyone! You are the best support system!!! :thumbs_up:

Stace

I did the same thing. I have been a little better since my first fill, but not much. I can still eat a lot. It is not weird at all to overeat, because our bodies have the satiety signal produced when receptors near the top of our stomach are activated by the pressure of the stomach contents. So, until your fill holds the food in and enables it start the satiety signal to your brain, it will be easy to overeat. I just got my second fill today and I am hoping that it will make me feel satisified more quickly. Good luck to you!

I dont have any restriction either but my doctor told me to eat every 2 hours and it helps (im still losing wieght)...(7:30am)for Breakfast i have 1/2 a simply jif Peanut Butter sandwich with sf jam and wheat bread...(9:30am)2 hrs later i have 1/2 cup chex mix...(11:30 or 12pm)2hrs later i have lunch 2oz tuna with 7 pita chips...(1:30 or 2pm)2 hrs later i have string cheese...(4pm)2 hrs later i have 1/2 Protein shake..(6pm) 2hrs later i have dinner 2 to 4 oz of meat, some veggies or a small salad...if by chance im hungry by 8pm which is usually NO i eat another Sf snack this has helped me a lot and my doctor liked my routine...good luck o and i drink 64 oz of Water a day mixed with crystal light and exercise 4 to 5 times a week 30 min