Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Noob with questions/fears

Hi my name is Megan 32 years old, 5'8" and 270 lbs. I live in Denver and am considering LapBand.

I haven't been fat my entire life - I was actually quite an active teen. I really loved playing sports in Jr. High and High School. I really want that feeling back - I used to get runners high and loved biking and swimming! I really want to get back to my 'old self' or some form of who I see hiding behind all of this.

I haven't exactly made up my mind about LAPBand yet. I have tried many of scams and gimmicks and spent quite a bit of money to hop myself up on too much caffiene which has led to anxiety, headaches and many sleepless nights!

My first serious try was Weight Watchers and I did really well and was really starting to get back into bicycling (spin class), swimming laps and was almost running on the treadmill again as I lost 38 pounds. What happened? I plateaued for months and months - it was the worst - I could not get over that hump to "save my life". Frustrated, I quit WW and slowly started gaining back the weight and backing off my workouts and eventually it all came back and I have only been in the Water and to spin class once - I still keep up with yoga a bit.

My Second serious attempt was Nurtisystem - what a huge waste of money and I failed at that too (only losing 11 pounds) I still have a pantry FULL of food to remind me of that failure - daily :tongue2: ~ I can't even get my husband to eat the rest...

Now I weigh 5 lbs more than I did when I started WW years ago and last month ago I was considering an alternating day fast I had read about. Lapband was always in the back of my mind as a last resort, so, I ended up going to Dr. Snyder's seminar and was really inspired, but then the worry began about Insurance approval. In the past few weeks I have visited my PCP, had the tests, and have my Psyche eval tomorrow. So, I am getting everything together. "Jumping through hoops," as my PCP says.

However, I have two huge questions that I haven't found the answers to yet...

First question: Can I live with this "device" or "foreign object" inside of my body for the rest of my life? (I am sure I have to come to my own terms about this... yes it IS a tool, a great one and I think it's just the tool I have been looking for).

My second question is: Will the lapband restrict me from doing ANY activities that I might want to do in the future? A good answer to this second question might help ease my fears about my first question.

I just wonder if there is someone out there who has had the surgery and is active and athletic now and I wonder if they can help me out?

Hey!

I'm 5'8", 32 years old, mom of 2 and started out my lapband journey at 339 lbs. Congrats for seriously looking into getting yourself healthy, its a hard thing to do alone. I also had to think long and hard about if I want a foreign object in me for life. But its pretty much the same thing as if you had hip replacement, or a pace maker put in, or any kind of orthopedic repair done to your bones after a break. I Broke my ankle back in 2004 and it was much harder to heal because I am overweight. But they put all kinds of pins in me and I had no second guesses about those at all and I can truly say my ankle still hurts more than this lap band ever did...So it's really just a personal choice, so far from what the band is and can do for me, I am willing to accept it. As far as activities, every seminar I went to (and I went to many, many seminars all over the Chicagoland area) and my own Doctor and nurses staff advised that you can do every activity as normal, the band does not limit you. I'm not an athlete by any means but I was apprehensive about getting it because I was worried it would interfere with my sex life. I was assured that there would be no problems and so far I "exercise" with my husband everyday and no issues at all. I went to my last appointment and everything is working fine and still in place! Hope that helps a little~

Thank you!

I remember thinking the other night, "What if I can't bend correctly in yoga anymore b/c of the band - and I need yoga!"

That does help! Putting it in those terms does put it into perspective!

Megan

First question: Can I live with this "device" or "foreign object" inside of my body for the rest of my life? (I am sure I have to come to my own terms about this... yes it IS a tool, a great one and I think it's just the tool I have been looking for).

My second question is: Will the lapband restrict me from doing ANY activities that I might want to do in the future? A good answer to this second question might help ease my fears about my first question.

I just wonder if there is someone out there who has had the surgery and is active and athletic now and I wonder if they can help me out?

megan - i "use" to be a college athlete (soccer/lacrosse), got heavy after getting married (really just got lazy, ate too much & drank too much wine..)

to your questions -

1- i'm nervouse about a foreign object - but as you mentioned "fad" diets didn't work, and i wanted something that helped me put the fork down

2- i'm not restricted in the least in my activities. i just ran a 5k, weight train w/a trainer twice a wk & workout an additional 3-4 days doing cario. the only thing that held me back active wise - was the size of my butt & being out of shape.

i'm very grateful for the band & it's "re-teaching" me the healthy habits of eating & being able to be active again.

good luck in your research!!

lulu

Hi! Wow, when I started out, my statistics were the same as you - 5'8", 270, etc. I actually was thin until I hit about 21/22 and had my first child. As a matter of fact, I went to college on a tennis scholarship and was in great condition (size 5). In answer to your questions:

1) The foreign object thing scared me, too. Now that I have it, I can't believe I was actually worried about this! I don't even feel it unless I'm looking for it with my probing fingers.

2) I asked the same thing regarding activities. My husband and boys snowboard and I want to try. My surgeon said go for it! Then someone in my support group told me she skis every winter. I said is there anything I can't do with this and they said absolutely not, you can even have a baby with it and, in my opinion, if that can be done, anything can!

I've lost 38 pounds so far in the six weeks since surgery and think this was the best thing in the world for me. I also tried all the diets and lost 50 pounds on WW only to gain it back plus a few more!

I say go for it, I think you'll be glad you did, once you get past the first week or two! Good luck!