Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor vs. Nutritionist

I am in a quandry. The nutritionist just called and wanted to know why I did not call her for my post-op appt. To be honest, the answer was three-fold. First of all, when I went to the doctor 2 weeks post-op he told me to do pretty much the opposite of what the nutritionist told me as far as what I am allowed to eat. I guess I should say they disagree on the texture of the food. She says I should be on soft food at present. He wants me on regular food. Both agree it should be Protein first, veggies and a little fruit. I am having no problems and the doc wants me on what he called real, regular food as soon as I can tolerate it. The second reason is I can't keep missing work. And of course everyone wants you there during the day. The third reason is every time I go see the nutritionist I have a co-pay. That by itself is no big deal but even though I have insurance, I have been getting whacked lately with my daughter being sick, having MRSA three times now in the last 4 months, glasses, etc. Now I have to take her to the audiologist next week and that will be another co-pay. If it is needed I do what needs to be done and find a way, but if the doc and the nutritionist are not on the same page, why am I paying both? My brain tells me to pay attention to the doc. The nutritionist in a nice way told me not to listen to the surgeon, do what she says if I want to be successful, and come see her. This is my schedule for the next week or so. My family doctor on 10/21, pediatrician 10/27, nutritionist 10/28, audiologist 10/30, surgeon 11/5, dentist for both of us 11/12. All of this will cause me to miss work and have co-pays. None can be avoided that I can see. Why I posted this I don't know. Guess I just needed someone to talk to. But I am still wondering, why are the doctor and the nutritionist not on the same page? Anyone else have this problem. The nutritionist is not employed by the surgeon. She works for the hospital and counsels for two other bariatric surgeons also. I don't think my doc is her favorite. Thanks everyone.

Is your doc and nutritionist in the same office? If so I am with you, you should get to see them on the same day and only have one co-pay. That's how mine do it. Although my follow-up for the first year were included in the cost, so it doesn't cost me to follow-up.

Follow your doctor's guidelines and only see the nutritionist if you have questions of stop losing weight as quickly as you and the doctor determine you need to lose.

You are not required to see her to be successful. That's a guilt trip if you ask me. She's looking to make money from you.

And if she insists ask her to put in writing her plans for you so you can share that with the doctor. Being conflicted is not a good thing....

never had a nutritionist appt. i pretty much followed my dr's guidelines & we discussed change up in diet as i moved along in the process.....not sure you need one to be successful.

Hey!

My nutritionist is also staffed by the hospital not the actual surgeon and she works with several bariatric doctors. When I go in to see the doctor the Nutritionist receives a list of everyone that is coming in that day and she comes over to the clinic side and sits with us in the waiting area and talks with us and then when we go into meet with thte doctor she comes in and has a quick one on one with us. No additional co pay at all. I am sorry that is happening to you, it has to be stressful.

I'm not banded yet so take this for what it is worth - but my sister-in-law just had the same issue. Her dietitician wanted her to avoid certain foods, but her doctor told her that was nuts - "you need to start eating normal food and get back to real life." She did what the doctor said. To me the doc trumps the dietitician every time :biggrin:

If they have different plans for you I would let the dietitician know and ask her to fax her plan for you to your doc - let him review it and make the final call.

JMO.

bambam

I'd be more inclined to follow the nutritionist - in terms of long term dietary guidelines and the doc for the post surgery schedule of how to get onto solid foods.

Here, the doctors make no bones about the fact that they are SURGEONS. They place the band, they fill the band. That's it. They give the after surgery guidelines but they dont in general tell you what to eat. That's because they're SURGEONS. They are not nutritionists. It really concerns me that so many surgeons are acting like they've got a lifetimes eperience in nutrition when really, their training is in the mechanics of band placement and maintenance. A nutritionist is way more likely to be more knowledgeable and give you more serious advice and less personal opinion than a doctor.

To me, its like going to an opthalmologist and asking for gynaecological advice. Yes, he's a a doctor and will be more knolwedegeable than a lay person but that's about it.

Then again, the nutritionist I saw was all for the five basic foodgroups, carbs included, which sits well with me. If I'd been told to go high Protein, I would have ignored her.

Edited by Jachut