Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Post- I have questions

I am a 38 year old married man with 3 children. I weigh 275 pounds and have a BMI of 40. I am a football coach and have decided to do something about my weight. I saw a doctor for about a year supplementing thyroid, and testosterone and it did not help. I graduated high school and went into the military weighing 145 pounds and have been skinny until about age 23. I have went through all the tests (psych, upper gi, 6month nutrition, sleep study) The main reason I want to lose weight is to feel better and sleep better, and live longer for my kids (7,9, and 18 years old). I have had 5 knee surgeries from age 18-36 and need some weight off my knees. I have been discovered to have sleep apnea (makes sense why I was tired all the time). Monday ends my 6 month nutrition required by my insurance and we will actually set a surgery date. I am using Dr. Sonny Cavazos in San Antonio, Texas Please help me with these questions

Thanks,

JT

1. I want to keep this fairly private what do I tell my coworkers?

2. Anyone know anything about my doctor.

3. What percentage of people banded have to have some sort of revision?

I LOVE Dr. Cavazos. I think he's the bee's knees. You'll do well in his capable hands. Just follow his instructions (whatever they are!) for preop and post op!

You may tell your coworkers that you are having abdominal surgery or hernia repair (if you wish) or you may just say...nothing. Each person is different about what they want to share. Some say "abdominal surgery" and keep it vague; they feel that can help explain any modified eating patterns. too.

Don't know about the revisions; are you anticipating that the band won't work for you? You know it's placed to be permanent; people who have them removed, statistically, most often gain everything back. Or did you mean revision to a different type of bariatric surgery? Either way, the band works if you work it, for most of us.

Good luck. Dr. C is wonderful and the staff at Northeast Baptist is excellent, top to bottom!

I, too have lots of questions, however I'm at the very beginning of things. I go to my informational session on Tuesday. Already I'm excited because I've finally made a commitment to do something about my weight. Regarding work, I told my boss, only because he's overweight and I figured he'd understand. I was correct and he's been very supportive. However, I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the staff.

Hi Falcon...

I can help with a couple of your questions:

1) Don't tell your coworkers anything. As far as your time off, you're just taking time off. And, at your weight and BMI, you probably won't lose 100 lbs in 6 months (seems like the higher the BMI the faster the weight loss -- just an observation I've made), your weight loss will probably be slower/slow-ish. After banding, you will probably be inspired to start an exercise program (I personally recommend the Couch to 5K running plan, which can be found at coolrunning.com and on several threads on lbt.com). Moderately-paced weight loss and a consistant exercise program will leave your coworkers saying "wow, you're looking great," instead of suspecting anything.

3) I don't know exact percentages either, that's something to get from your surgeon's office, but what I can tell you is that I'm almost a year out and have learned a lot on this website. It SEEMS to me that many many many of the people who have to have revisions of any time caused it by not FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS. That means: 1) you can't keep your band too restricted because you like "losing quickly." 2) you can't "PB," "get stuck," "or throw up" too often. 3) you MUST EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW YOUR food THOROUGHLY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. (This is hard, but important). 4) You MUST follow your doctor's pre-op, post-op, pre-fill, post-fill, etc. recommendations TO THE LETTER, AT ALL TIMES, no MATTER WHAT. It is NOT okay to "assume" you're fine, or bend the rules, or push the boundaries.

that's my two cents....sorry for going on and on...I'm feeling a bit fiesty this morning!

Restless Monkey,

Can you tell me what happened with not having surgery becuase of your liver and what I will have to do with that. I have the same issue, I just want to make sure I have surgery on time.

Hi Falcon...

I can help with a couple of your questions:

1) Don't tell your coworkers anything. As far as your time off, you're just taking time off. And, at your weight and BMI, you probably won't lose 100 lbs in 6 months (seems like the higher the BMI the faster the weight loss -- just an observation I've made), your weight loss will probably be slower/slow-ish. After banding, you will probably be inspired to start an exercise program (I personally recommend the Couch to 5K running plan, which can be found at coolrunning.com and on several threads on lbt.com). Moderately-paced weight loss and a consistant exercise program will leave your coworkers saying "wow, you're looking great," instead of suspecting anything.

3) I don't know exact percentages either, that's something to get from your surgeon's office, but what I can tell you is that I'm almost a year out and have learned a lot on this website. It SEEMS to me that many many many of the people who have to have revisions of any time caused it by not FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS. That means: 1) you can't keep your band too restricted because you like "losing quickly." 2) you can't "PB," "get stuck," "or throw up" too often. 3) you MUST EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW YOUR food THOROUGHLY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. (This is hard, but important). 4) You MUST follow your doctor's pre-op, post-op, pre-fill, post-fill, etc. recommendations TO THE LETTER, AT ALL TIMES, no MATTER WHAT. It is NOT okay to "assume" you're fine, or bend the rules, or push the boundaries.

that's my two cents....sorry for going on and on...I'm feeling a bit fiesty this morning!

I have noticed the same thing in regards to complications with the band. I am stunned how many people push the envelope just to see what happens. I note a strong correlation to following pre and postop guidelines and long term success with the band in place.

Good luck!:smile:

Hi falcon!

I can not speak for monkey but I was banded on Sept 30th and the doctors were very concerned that I list 20 pounds before so that I could shrink my liver and lose some fat around the liver. If your liver is to fatty they are unable to put the band in place and they cant tell that until they are in you. So my best advice is to try and lose some weight before surgery!

Good luck to everyone!

Restless Monkey,

Can you tell me what happened with not having surgery becuase of your liver and what I will have to do with that. I have the same issue, I just want to make sure I have surgery on time.

Sorry I didn't answer before now; for some reason I didn't get the "email" that you had posted!

Anyway, my sorry tale is this. Dr. Cavazos put me on a VERY specific diet for 3 weeks prior to my band date. I'd read different diets here on LBT, people who didn't need to diet AT ALL, etc. AND in my defense (I need a little! LOL) I didn't realize it was to shrink my liver, I thought it was just "to lose weight". SO...I did my own thing, modified his directions. (I'm very good at dieting I've done it so much LOL) I lost 15 pounds in the 3 weeks; he was pleased (not knowing I'd done my own thing) and proceeded with surgery. When he went in my liver was still too thick for him to place the band. He told me his options were to "open me up", lacerate my liver, or withdraw and let me diet some more. Fortunately for me he chose to withdraw and let me diet again. When I came to in recovery I felt sorry for myself for about 15 seconds then realized this was my wake up call to do WHAT HE SAYS...to the letter.

So, I did. 2 1/2 weeks and 17 MORE pounds and I was successfully banded on 8/29. He did it "special" for me on a friday!

I can tell you if he gives you a specific preop diet, do what he says. Don't think you can eat a little more, or differently, and get by. You might! but then again, if you don't, it is really pretty awful. He had me drink 2-3 very specific Protein shakes and have 3 oz of lean chicken, turkey or fish and some green veggies each night, and at least 64 oz Water. What he prescribes for you may be very different so don't go by my diet, but do what he tells you to. He's been doing this a while and although very polite and easy going, the man knows his stuff! OH and he did tell me I was the first patient he'd ever had that he couldn't band (ok that isn't pretty either but I'm trying to be honest with you even if it makes me look like a silly pig! :smile2:) so if you do what he says when he tells you, you'll get through like a champ! I did, the 2nd time around!

Thanks restless I only want to have surgery once that is why I asked. I have been impressed with Dr. Cavazos and I only went to a seminar then had a consultation later. He told me he thought with my body type (muscle mass) that I could probably lose a 100 pounds without having a fill. He told me I was the perfect candidate for the lap band because of my muscle mass and that I ate large meals. I will supposedly know my surgery date tommorow. Thanks for the info I will probably have more questions as we go.

Dr. Cavazos knows his stuff. I think you picked a good surgeon, good facility; you've done all you can to set yourself up for success! So trust him and do what he tells you to and you'll do great! Since I'm a little farther along, TIME-wise, than you...please feel free to email, post, PM any time. Good luck! I know you'll be as pleased as I am !

Just wanted to throw this out there--didn't seem to be covered at all in this thread so far. Regarding the liver thing and the "diet." Like Restless said, the diet isn't necessarily to lose weight before banding, but more to shrink your liver. The specifics of that diet are LOW CARB. That way, your liver does not have to produce as much glucose to process the simple or complex sugars. Because the liver is not producing those fluids, it shrinks. When it is smaller, it is easier for the doc to go in laproscopically, move around the liver, and work on the stomach. A knicked liver could be DISASTROUS, so they will opt to not do the surgery at all.

So, whatever preop diet you're given, just follow it to the letter and you won't have to have 2 surgeries or revisions or anything else.

Good luck!