Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great News from the Big Fella

yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!

well after much stuffin around I have been given the go-ahead from APRA to secure the funds from my super fund to pay for my surgery

there has been a few dramas along the way, but in all its now finally approved. Just got to get my letter from them & send it away to the super fund to release funds.

due to the few dramas I will miss my first scheduled surgery date but i have been very lucky enough to get a date 2 weeks later.

so now my new surgery date is 13th November.

i went to Mackay yesterday to start with the dietician and i actually decided to start the Optifast 4 weeks out from surgery

so today is day 1 on the Optifast diet and feel quite good about it. My dietician said that her record weight loss pre op by one of her patients is 10.6 kg, so she has set the challenge.

anyway, awayyyyyyyyyy we go.

will keep you posted as to how im progressing

thanks to all for the support to date

cheers

Big Damo

:thumbup::thumbup::biggrin::thumbup::wink2::thumbup::eek::thumbup::cool2::thumbup::tt2::thumbup::thumbup:

hey, this is great news!! Knew you'd have nothing to worry about, but still great to hear.

I'm on day 1 as well, though I'm only 2 weeks out. I did do a modified version for 3 days, so that it wouldn't be too nasty a shock to the system.

Congrats. Like you, I have the same dramas with APRA. I'm still waiting on a response. My surgery date is 4 November. I had to send them through some further costings figures and have gone back to the end of the pile which they tell me will take 24 days for someone to relook at my application. I phoned them AGAIN this morning to see if I can get fast tracked and will find out tomorrow afternoon if this is the case. I really don't want to reschedule everything now that I'm so close. I see Dr Copp and the dietician this Friday (17th) and will go ahead with those appointments even if I have to reschedule. If I have to hopefully I will be like you and get a date not too far out.

All the best with the pre-op.

hey

thanks for the replies

hey that sounds like my experience with APRA, but in the end i got there so it will happen. good luck. i was worried for a while though

lol

i had to put surgery back, if i dont then id loose airfare & accomodation costs as i am comming down from far nth qld

cheers

Damo

great news Damo. I hated Optifast but the good thing about it is it gives you a kick start to weight loss. I lost 8 kilos on the pre op diet and it made a difference in my mind going into surgery 8 kilos lighter...sounds silly I know LOL

Godo luck and congrats xx

hello Cherry Blue

well today is day 3 on pre op

all going well & havent diverted at all so feeling quite proud. Dietician said first 3-4 days are the hardest & then it gets easier so feeling good about it.

yeah the pre op loss is a great thing

cant wait to get it done :D:w00t::thumbup:

Congrats Damo!! I'm thrilled for you! The Optisludge phase is yuck but it does work wonders! Thank goodness we don't have to stick to that for the whole ride down to a healthy weight. Stick to your guns while you're on it and take comfort in knowing that it won't be forever.

How's day 5 going Damo?

Like you, I'll be doing 4 weeks, but 2 of those are after the op for me. I don't actually mind the taste that much at all, so was given the go ahead to use it for nutrition during my liquid phase. Really looking forward to some mashed pumpkin though :smile2: lol

Damo,

how goes the diet? I know I'm fed up. I've actually not stuck to it completely the whole time, I just couldn't go on much longer without something more substantial. Working in childcare is working in a manual labour job as far as I'm concerned. But I have noticed changes, so I know I'm on the right track.

Hope its all going well, mate.

hello

great to hear from you

yeah im doing ok, have picked a few times but mainly on peanuts. It is very hard to do it 100%

yeah ive noticed some big changes too

I got appoint,ment at Dietician on Tuesday so Ill let ya know the loss so far. then ive got 2 weeks further to do before surgery on the 13th Nov

how have you been generally ?

4 Days to go ?? YIPPEEEEE All the very best to you !!!!!!! talk soon

cheers

Damo

Edited by Big Damo

Hi Sunwyse,

I have just noticed that you have only 3 days to go, I bet you are getting excited. Just in case I am not on during the week good luck with it all. Sending good vibes that you end up the same as me no pain from op at all and feeling great.

Sam

yes good luck Damo

take the pain killers

make sure you sip sip sip the fluids

gentle walking after op

and the heat packs

all hep with the gas pains most of us get

take care and see you on the other side

Leeanne:thumbup:

Thanks Damo, Sam. Very excited about op, a little nervous about what floor I'll be on cause of my fear of heights.

I have no doubt you'd done really well Damo!

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

WELL WELL

i had my second dietician appointment today, which is 2 weeks into the Optislop stage with another 2 before i get done. I chose to do the 2 extra weeks after having to put surgery back the extra 2 weeks.

well i jumped on the scales and found that after the 2 weeks i have lost a whopping 10.2 kg. the dietician was stoked.

so after the next 2 weeks she is suggesting that ill loose another 5kg making it a total of 15.0kg. which i guess is a bonus befor surgery

anyway I promised to let you know so there we have it

im as happy as a Pig In Poo

cheers

Damo

Well done, that is awesome. :) Keep it up. What an excellent start. I only lost 2.2kg in the first week. I am in week 2 and hating the Optifast. I have had to put strawberry essence in mine (on dietician's direction) because I was gagging on them. My surgery in next Tuesday with Dr Copp at Ipswich. The dietician said I can use Tony Ferguson shakes post-op - they taste much better, although a little more carbs.