Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide your goal weight?

My doctor suggested a mid-range normal BMI weight. If I get there, we shall reassess. I'll let you know ... if I'm ever 'normal'!

i remeber getting married @125; so that was the number i held onto - even though my dr suggest 15lbs heavier would be ideal. i'm very short & pretty active - the closer i got to around 125lbs, i realized i could stand to go a bit lower and hit a BMI of 19-21 which unknowlingly was my target BMI range #.

i'm not sure i'm going to drop any more pounds - i'm pretty happy right now; no complaints...i always looked at losing weight in 10lb increments - so not to get focused on a number that didn't seem immediately attainable.

This is the question that I have been struggling with now that I am on the last leg of my weight loss. Last year I thought I wouldn't care what my weight was as long as it was less than 200lbs. At 194 I felt good, at 180 my doctor said that he didn't care if I just maintained that weight, but now at 173 I feel I should just keep chugging along until 150's. It seems to change daily for me. I guess I will let my body decide when It stops losing weight doing my current regimon and I don't feel like I'm overdoing eating or exercising and it is something I can stick with that will be my goal weight.

In my mid 20s, right before my first pregnancy, I weighed 115. Can you believe?????? I was looking a bit ill at that weight. I won't ever weigh that again, I can assure you, but I told the doc I wanted to get down to 130. He fussed at me and thought that even that was to thin, so he set mine for me at 140. Not to much further to go.

I am glad to see that lots of others feel the same way about it that I do. I am getting close to my initial goal and I want to meet it before I change my goal. I dont really know what I *want* or *should* weight. I am almost 5'11" and I havea medium frame. I will be fine at 190 but I am thinking that 170 would be great, too. I am having an easy time losing weight, I really cant explain why but I seem tofeel I should just roll with it. Going for a size is a good idea too. I would like to be a size 12 and right now I am a size 16 but I am thinking I will have to be closer to 160 to get there. Well, at least that was thee case the last time I wass at 160.

I picked 135 as my goal weight because that number puts my BMI in the ideal BMI range.

<table border="1" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th class="black_sm">Classification</th><th class="black_sm">BMI</th></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Underweight </td><td class="black_sm"><19 </td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Ideal BMI</td><td class="black_sm">19-24.9 </td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Overweight </td><td class="black_sm">25-29.9 </td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Obese</td><td class="black_sm">≥ 30</td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Severely Obese</td><td class="black_sm">≥ 35</td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Morbidly Obese</td><td class="black_sm">≥ 40 </td></tr> <tr><td class="black_sm">Super Obese</td><td class="black_sm">≥ 50</td></tr></tbody></table>

I decided my goal weight of 145 because i have a bigger structure and was really healthy at that weight in high school, also very fit. i was wearing between a 6-9 in clothes abd had quite a bit of muscle. I have been overweight since i was 19, so really this is all i can go by. I cant wait to reach it.

I chose 165 because I had actually gotten down to that weight before about ten years ago and was able to maintain it for 3 years (before going up again). I've actually gotten down to 145 before but, almost immediately, gained up to the 165.

I'm tall (5'10") and have a medium build.

165 puts me easily into a size 12.

Of course, if I ever decide to have a Tummy Tuck, I may actually go lower! (That is, if I'm successful...)

I've been contimplating a goal as well...

The doctor's office has a Tanita Body Composition machine and it predicted my "after" weight at 179.5. That was at my initial consult and I weighed 310 that day. My fat mass was 176lbs!! and it predicted 45lbs after surgery.

Now...I made some minor dietary changes and had lost 33lbs by surgery day, so I'm sure that little machine would have made different predictions at that time.

I like the calculators at: Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations

Anyway...my current goal is 170, which is a BMI of 26.6. That's a bit higher than the recommended 20-25, but my doc says that I'd be OK there since I dont' have any co-morbidities or health problems.

I may re think that goal when I get there...who knows.

Mostly, I just want to feel good, look good and be healthy!