Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with laying down

Hi everyone! I was banded Oct.2 and for the last few nights I have been having trouble. Everything is going good except sleeping. About an hour after I lay down I wake up feeling like I am going to be sick. It feels like my band is in my throat. It only started a few days ago and I am fine once I am sitting up for a while. Anyone have this, what is this, should I be concerned?

Hi there! We were banded the same day! :) Anyway, I owuld recommend putting a few extra pillows under your neck and back so you are sitting at an incline. That is how I slept every night up until last night and I had no problems. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it took me about a week and a half before I could comfortably lie down in bed. I slept propped up on the sofa...

Hi everyone! I was banded Oct.2 and for the last few nights I have been having trouble. Everything is going good except sleeping. About an hour after I lay down I wake up feeling like I am going to be sick. It feels like my band is in my throat. It only started a few days ago and I am fine once I am sitting up for a while. Anyone have this, what is this, should I be concerned?

From one RDH to another: :)

I wish I knew what this was. It is by far my biggest complaint to being banded. I was banded on the 29th so just a few days before you. I still can't seem to get comfortable but sitting up does help. I don't really feel sick but like the band is being pushed into my chest/throat. At night it is always worse. I did call my Dr. he removed some Fluid from the band which didn't really help. Waited a week and called him again. He didn't really say much and doesn't seem to be that concerned. Frustrating!! I wish I could help but thought it might 'ease' your mind to know I too experience this.:tt2:

Registered Dental Hygieist. I have a funny post-it note pad that sums it up- "I may be deep in debt, but I have letters after my name."

I think what you are experiencing is Reflux. Besides sleeping propped up, don't have anything to eat or drink for several hours before bedtime. If you also get heartburn with it, take an anticacid several hours before bedtime. If it keeps happening tell your doctor. Good luck!

I agree with glorybee, except I think "several hours" before is a little unrealistic. If you can manage at least an hour it will be good. 2 is even better. Also watch what you drink prior to bed as well. For the moment, keep sleeping as upright as possible. As you become better able to sleep, gradually remove pillows until you're on your back again.

A few months ago when I was having problems similar to this, but it felt like food was going through my band well enough, but jumping around in the area past it, making me feel nauseous and wanting to barf. Not because there was something stuck, just because it felt kind of like my stomach was churning. I started taking chewable Papaya Enzymes and that really seemed to help settle. I've not tried them before bed because I haven't had that problem in quite a while and I'm not suggesting it'll work for you, but its worth a shot and they're relatively inexpensive. And tasty. :crying:

GNC - Natural Brand™ Papaya Enzyme

I started taking <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-0" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">chewable</layer> <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-2" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Papaya</layer> <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-6" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;"><layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-6" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;">Enzymes</layer></layer> and that really seemed to help settle. I've not tried them before bed because I haven't had that problem in quite a while and I'm not suggesting it'll work for you, but its worth a shot and they're relatively inexpensive. And tasty. :crying: GNC - Natural Brand™ <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-3" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Papaya</layer> Enzyme

We have the same Doctor! I am getting banded by Dr. Cribbins on 10/21!

It is the papain enzyme! That is what is in pineapple juice (which a lot of people have recommended for when you get stuck) and meat tenderizer. Breaks stuff down!

Several people have said that sleeping in a recliner helps or buying a wedge pillow for your bed.

You can get wedge pillows at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Most of the time I have one of those 20% off coupons lurking around my house somewhere.

Edited by HelloPenny

Dr Cribbins is fantastic! And he's cute too. :crying:

Sorry to high-jack the thread!

LOL! But yes, he IS! I totally got the vibe he was gay. All the good ones... sigh!

Edited by HelloPenny
Sorry to high-jack the thread!

I had my surgery on 09/25/08 and have only just started laying down in bed. I felt exactly the same way that you did. I slept in a chair for almost the first 2 weeks. Even now, I sleep propped up. It does get better as the days go by. I hope that you feel better soon!

Thanks! At least I know I'm not alone. Glad to see I'm not the only RDH here too!

When do you plan on returning to work, or have you already?:crying:

I went back for a 1/2 day on Saturday. It went really well! I was a little nervous before hand that I might be sore or get hungry ect. I needed to get out and back to it.