Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding in Pittsburgh PA?

Hello

I have yet to run across anyone from the Pittsburgh PA area and thought I would just throw my name out there. I'm in the middle of my six month pre-surgery "plan" and I am anxiously awaiting for my turn to put up before and after pics!! If anybody is from this area, give me a shout!

Lindsay

Hi!! I'm from Pittsburgh and am attending my informational session next week. I'm hoping my insuraance covers and all of that good stuff. What's been your experience thus far. Where will you be having your surgery and doctor visits?

Hi, I was banded in Monroeville on august 18th. I am originally from Rockwood. Have you gotten your surgery date yet??

Hi. I actually live in Berlin..lol. Small world. I am not being banded until January 16. I can't wait. How are things going?

Hi!! I'm from Pittsburgh and am attending my informational session next week. I'm hoping my insuraance covers and all of that good stuff. What's been your experience thus far. Where will you be having your surgery and doctor visits?

Hi how are you?

I have not been to the information seminar. I started with a doctor in Windber but have decided to switch to Magee Women's Hospital. I have four months of my pre-op diet in though. My informational seminar is on November 5. I have Blue Cross and they are fairly easy to deal with from what I've heard. I've heard nothing but good things about Magee. My girlfriend got banded in July there and is down 31 pounds already. They give you so much information, what to expect your post op diet everything you will find in the hospital during your stay, etc. It should be well worth it. :thumbup:

Hi, yes it is a small world!! Things are going well - I am down about 19 pounds - my surgery was Aug. 18th. It is SLOW, but that is ok. We went to Disney for a week in Sept. and that was hard. I DID eat (NOT an extreme amount) but probably more than I should have. Thank God we walked 3 to 5 miles a day!!LOL I have learned that it IS mental. There are times when I want to taste something, and then I realize hey I am not even hungry. I had my first fill on Monday. Did not fill a thing. I could still eat, but today for the first time my food got stuck. That feeling lasted for about 10 minutes. Really uncomfortable. You have a friend you mentioned that had this done, so that is great - someone to compare stories with!! Everyone I know that has had surgery did the gastric with wonderful results. I was just too scared to try it. Plus, I only really want to lose about 65 to 70 pounds. So felt this was my best choice. Do you still live in Berlin??

Hi, yes it is a small world!! Things are going well - I am down about 19 pounds - my surgery was Aug. 18th. It is SLOW, but that is ok. We went to Disney for a week in Sept. and that was hard. I DID eat (NOT an extreme amount) but probably more than I should have. Thank God we walked 3 to 5 miles a day!!LOL I have learned that it IS mental. There are times when I want to taste something, and then I realize hey I am not even hungry. I had my first fill on Monday. Did not fill a thing. I could still eat, but today for the first time my food got stuck. That feeling lasted for about 10 minutes. Really uncomfortable. You have a friend you mentioned that had this done, so that is great - someone to compare stories with!! Everyone I know that has had surgery did the gastric with wonderful results. I was just too scared to try it. Plus, I only really want to lose about 65 to 70 pounds. So felt this was my best choice. Do you still live in Berlin??

Yep, I'm still in Berlin. I need to lose more around 100 pounds. My friend could actually eat just about anything before she had her first fill. Her doctor told her that her body was actually in shock and she lost her first 20 pounds right after surgery, which most people do. She actually then gained about 3 pounds, but after her first fill which will be three weeks ago this Tuesday, she has lost 10 pounds since that first fill!! Even now, she can eat pizza with a thin crust, she can eat Pasta (just a little). When you say your food got stuck, I don't think it actually got stuck. After my friend's fill especially in the mornings her food feels like you described-tight. It does subside after about 10 minutes. However, she actually got something stuck, I mean really stuck. She immediately starting throwing up and luckily it unlodged. However, if you are getting food stuck and it is subsiding after 10 minutes, that would be a huge plus! Just beware in case something really gets lodged.

I will tell you this, my friend said she'd go back and have bypass in a minute. She said this banding thing is way harder than she ever imagined. It is definately a scary thought going in, but I need to do something at this point. So you're living in Pittsburgh or Monroeville? I'm so glad to have found someone close!

I live in Westmoreland County and am attending the Magee Info session on Nov. 5. Its good to meet people from my area!!!

Can someone explain what happens at this session and then all the steps after?

I have Highmark. I am 35BMI and have asthma and high cholestoral and a STRONG family history of heart issues. I hope I don't have any issues!!!

I am orginally from the pgh area and I moved to Ohio. I considered going to magee to be banded because their reputation was so great! I am about 1 1/2 hour from there so I decided to look into hospitals around here, I found a great one and I was banded Sept 30th! I am down 25 pounds already! It was a great decision! I wish you all the best of luck!

Where in Westmoreland county are you? My mom still lives there in west newton.

In 5th month of waiting.....have appt at AGH in first of November. I have done all that Insurance requires......I am hoping for a surgery date!

Hi, where do you live in Westmoreland county?? I lived in Greensburg for awhile when I was a lot younger. (early 20's) I coached volleyball at Hempfield High School. I can't answer questions about magee, sorry!! I went to West Penn. But, I have heard good things about Magee. I do have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and it was simple, for me to get approved. Do you have any health issues at all?

I live in Jeannette - close to the Penn Township side. So you're in Brownsville now?

I have high cholestoral and arthritis, bursitis, etc. from my more active younger days, an irregular heartbeat and a very strong family history of heart attack. I hope that will be enough (doesn't that sound weird?)

What did Highmark require of you? I have read about the supervised diet...do you do that with the hospital? That would sure be easier for me to do! :Dancing_biggrin:

Hi, I'm very familiar with Jeanette. I like that whole area, and sometimes miss living in Greensburg!! Yes, I live in Brownsville right now, we were planning on building up by the Connellsville area, but are waiting with the economy the way it is!!!

The insurance was actually simple. They required me to see my primary care doctor once a month for six months to weigh in. To record any and all diets that I attempted. Get a letter from my doctor saying he thought it was a good idea. Had to meet with the nutritionist twice over that period, and then the psych. eval. That was it. Was approved the same day they submitted it, and scheduled for surgery two weeks later!! I have heard of other doctors being a little harder. But, you have health issues - which in this instance will benefit you. (that's scary, hu??) I'm sure yours will go through easily. Are you just starting the process?

Yes. I finally decided enough is enough. I obviously cannot do this alone so I need a tool to help and I think this will. I just wish the info session weren't so far away!!! It's Nov. 5. Of course that will put my surgery next summer so I guess that's good in it's own way. I'll have more vacation days then :Dancing_biggrin: