Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping To Band in Fredericksburg

Hi All,

I attended a seminar in Fredericksburg by Dr. Stelmack on Sat. I find the surgery to be what I think I need and can do. I am so excited that I am already frustrated with the slowness of the process. I have faxed in the info pack to his office, checked for info from my insurance co. (Tricare) and I want a call.

I am almost 51 yrs. old, 240lbs., 5'2", BMI 44 have high blood pressure and major foot pain. I so want something to change.

I don't understand why I haven't gotten a call to at least have a one on one with dr. so I can ask questions. Should this happen I hope to have lots of support from the folks here and especially the ones close by.:w00t:

niterun, did they ever call? What's new?

No, they didn't and I called them again. I didn't like the way she talked to me so I researched and talked with another office in Potomas. I went to their seminar and I think I will go with them.

Sounds good. Of course, you know how much I LOVE Dr. Brengman in Richmond. If you have insurance issues or want to do more research, his number is 804-285-4133.

Good luck to you and keep me posted!

I really need to talk to you. Can you call me at 775-5033 till 6 or 540 207-3098 after. I am having some issues and am about in tears!!!

I'll call you shortly. Gotta catch my van.

Keep your chin up!

Hey,

It was nice chatting with you yesterday. Sorry about the bad connection, I live waaay out in the country.

Let me know how it works out for you!

I am getting banded on Thursday with Dr. S. Have you filled out your health history form and turned it into the office? It seems to me that within days of them getting my paperwork they had called and scheduled my appointment with Dr. S. I am six months into the process there is a lot of testing before you will get a date. They are a great group of people. There staff will work with your insurance company to make sure everything is in place before they will proceed with testing or give you a date. Best of luck in the process. :eek:

Plans have changed AGAIN! Before this is over everyone will be convinced that I am a head case. Hope my eval proves otherwise, that is set for Thurs. After not liking the way things went with the staff at Fredericksburg office I went to the seminar for Bluepoint out of Potomac. Had issues with them as well. There they told me my insurance required that I do a six month structured weight management program, but my insurance would not cover it. When I tried to get an understanding of what was needed, they told me I could do it through them to the tune of about $300, this is added to the program fee of $425 and another $300 if I needed to do the Optifast for 2 weeks. I didn't want to drive that far, so I wanted to know what I could do here and still meet requirement. They didn't;t want to tell me about other options. I then pressed the insurance company and found out that they don't require this, the Dr. does. Insurance is looking at the BMI of 44, my high blood pressure and some other tings. So I am now set for an appointment in Richmond next Mon. Richmond Surgical Group doesn't charge a "program fee" or fees for nutritional class. They provided information at the seminar for the requirements of several insurance companies...mine is listed...no weight management program! I have my psych eval Thurs., my blood work will also be done that day. I recently had an EKG with my PCP as well as a chest X-Ray and in a few hours I will be taking a stress test. My PCP has my release form and is putting together the info surgeon requested. With any luck I could be doing my surgery some time in Dec.:laugh:

Niterun, Sounds like you really have the ball rolling now! Keep us posted.

I'll be cheering for you!!!

Niterun,

My story seems similar to what you went through. I began going to Dr. Stelmack's office at MWH, but I thought they were great there. But then the hospital closed the program at the end of December! I was 3 months through with my 6 month supervised diet/exercise program. So I went to Bluepoint Surgical Group out of Potomac Hospital. I too was outraged at their extra charges. As if all of this process wasn't expensive enough. They claimed it was common charges and almost all the Bariatric surgery places charged them. MWH didn't and neither does Richmond Surgical. So I just had my first appt with Richmond Surgical Group (Dr. Brengman) on Monday (2/23/09). I went there cause I have 2 friends who have been very pleased with the doctors. I haven't had enough contact to form an opinion on the doctor, but have been very frustrated, to the point of tears when I call. My last supervised diet/nutrition appt is next week and I need to get them some info, and I'd rather not hold off sending all the stuff for insurance approval a day longer than necessary. But when I call I get a total run around. If I had time, I probably would try to look at another place. But I'm taking comfort in the fact that I have heard nothing but good about the doctors themselves.

hkitty, Hang in there. That side of the practice isn't too good, but once you have the surgery, it's all downhill from there. I wanted to kill somebody trying to get my approval and surgery date, but once you get the surgery, you'll be dealing with a different group of people.

I {heart} Dr. Brengman and Erin!!!!

I'll be cheering for you!

Hey where in Spotsy do you live? I live in Partlow/Ladysmith area.

Dr. Brengman was my doctor too. I didn't have WLS insurance, so I didn't have any contact side of the group. However, on the medical side, I've been very pleased. The staff has always been extremely friendly and helpful. I've never felt rushed during an appointment, and Dr. Brengman is great.

I live near the mall, on the Fred/Spotsy border. Suzanne and kiz, that's what I'm trying to keep in mind, that once the surgery's over, it's much easier dealing with the office. And if the doctor does a great job, then why worry over these details. It's just frustrating in the moment. (Esp this moment since no one has yet to call me back today!).