Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does everyone have to have an upper gi?

just wondering if everyone has to have an upper gi before banding. only test that kinda freaks me out.

Gitrdone:eek::cool2:

I have to get an upper gi and another test called an esophageal manometry. Scheduled to be done October 13th. These are two tests required by my surgeon. fun fun joy joy lol

just wondering if everyone has to have an upper gi before banding. only test that kinda freaks me out.

Gitrdone:eek::cool2:

A lot of surgeons do require it, not all. Mine does, he says "I need to know what condition the stomach is in before I go messing with it" He want's to make sure I don't have H pylori, ulcers or esophogus problems. I'm with you, it's a little scary, but figure it's not that bad. I've observed them before, so at least I know what to expect.

I have to have one as well. I see the doctor on October 8 and I will get a lab slip to do this test. If I don't do the upper GI I will not be allowed to have the surgery.

I did not have to have one. But then again I wish I had, at the time of surgery they found a hernia that had to be repaired. No major problems I just would have been better prepared for the recovery.

I really didn't think much about the tests but now you guys have me nervous lol :cool2:. I'm scheduled for Oct 13th. Would love to hear from people who have had the tests done and what their experience was.....

Just had mine yesterday, and i am not a sweeten it up kinda-a-girl it was horrible. That liquid is pretty gross, but its over and it was worth it! I will have my surgery next week, and it was required.:w00t:!

im having a egd in am,have to swallow a camera for stomach omgggggggggg im flipping out thinking about this

I had mine on Monday.. I had to have a upper GI and chest x-ray and blood work, urine test, and a EKG. I also see I have a upper Gi scheduled after surgery as well. It is not a fun ordeal. But At least I will have the piece of mind knowing everything is where it should be..

They found a hernia while doing the upper GI Will I be in more pain after surgery due to this getting fixed as well..???

Had my upper GI study last Friday. It was unpleasant, but necessary. You stand/lean on a big moving x-ray table and drink various things. First, they gave me something they called "fizzies" which was a shot that tasted like alka-seltzer. Not horrible. Then I got to drink thick barium, which was not tasty, but they are giving you instructions the whole time, so it kinda distracts you from the nasty taste. Then they move you all around, have you roll this side to that, and drink more thinner barium. Finally, they gave me Water, but I had to drink it lying down. Still, it was the best thing I'd had all day! And that was it. Took about 10 minutes. Now I know I have a hiatal hernia that needs to be repaired.

I'm having an endoscopy on Thursday (Oct 9)

I guess it's like a colonoscopy - only from the top end this time. :crying:

Even though I'll have a scopey thingy inserted through my mouth and down the hatch to the stomach - I'll be under anesthesia with a delightful dose of diazepam (Valium!) - it sounds better than an upper GI.

I would've gladly done the endoscopy instead of the upper GI....I looked for my previous post about my upper GI to reply here.

It took me longer than most, because I kept trying to throw the barium back up. I kept gagging. They told me not to burp the "fizzies". Jeez, that is hard. The staff were so wonderful and patient. Fortunately, I made it through it. It probably took around 30 min. It was also a lot of rolling around. I found that a little awkward. Roll on your left side, lie on your stomach, roll back to your left side, roll onto your back... repeat this a bazillion times! Well, it actually was probably only about 4 times. Then the dr came in to watch me swallow MORE of the junk. It was kinda cool to see it, but not to drink it.

I REALLY hated it, but I think most people don't mind it as much as I did. My friend didn't love it, but she certainly wasn't the baby about it that I was.:crying:

Had my upper GI study last Friday. It was unpleasant, but necessary. You stand/lean on a big moving x-ray table and drink various things. First, they gave me something they called "fizzies" which was a shot that tasted like alka-seltzer. Not horrible. Then I got to drink thick barium, which was not tasty, but they are giving you instructions the whole time, so it kinda distracts you from the nasty taste. Then they move you all around, have you roll this side to that, and drink more thinner barium. Finally, they gave me Water, but I had to drink it lying down. Still, it was the best thing I'd had all day! And that was it. Took about 10 minutes. Now I know I have a hiatal hernia that needs to be repaired.

My experience was basically the same. My fizzies were orange and I guess I'd heard such horrible stories that the thick vanilla liquid was no biggie. (Kind of half-way between milk and yogurt.) But there was no chalky taste, thankfully.

My rolling around experience was so embarrassing! Roll, hold your breath, roll, hold your breath. OK I'm a big girl and rolling around like a pig on a spit was not cute!!! The picture taker person said, "Yeah, we call this table aerobics." I said, "Hello, if I'd done aerobics, I wouldn't need a lap band!" And you want the doctor to have a pretty pic of your stomach! Smiiiiiile, tummy!

Wow, you're lucky. I didn't get flavored barium, and mine really did taste like chalk. Liquid chalk.:crying: LOL at the table aerobics. It's really not any better when you're having your surgery at the small hospital YOU WORK AT!! :thumbup: My coworkers are going to know me really well by the time this is all over. I threatened my surgeon if he so much as dared order a catheter!