Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New girl from Indiana

Hello everyone. I have been researching having the lap band done and I know in my heart for my health and my children that it is a good step for me. However, tonight I have been reading and see many different woman that are having terrible pains, trouble eating, and even a few that are having the band taken out. It's very discouraging for me. I have always told myself that "I'M TIRED OF JUST EXISTING. I WANT TO LIVE". Do you think any of you may have a few words of encouragement for me, someone that you don't even know, but is desperately in need of advice? I would appreciate hearing from any of you. :(

Hi Indiana Girl

Try not to gauge what the experience is like from one night's postings. Really do your homework. There are far more happy and uplifting stories on this site. You may be drawn to the negative things but trust me, there are so many successes. I have finally found something that helps me not think about food all the time, it tells me when I've had enough which is far less than I used to be able to consume. I am on the road to finding myself and it feels wonderful. Keep reading the good stuff-it's everywhere!!!

Caminco

weight.png

Surgery date: May 9, 2008

Fills total 3.6 cc in 10 cc band

hey dont sweat it

my wife had hers over 12 months ago and is doing really well 60lbs to date

i had mine done on monday and all is going well

regards andrew britten

Hello everyone. I have been researching having the lap band done and I know in my heart for my health and my children that it is a good step for me. However, tonight I have been reading and see many different woman that are having terrible pains, trouble eating, and even a few that are having the band taken out. It's very discouraging for me. I have always told myself that "I'M TIRED OF JUST EXISTING. I WANT TO LIVE". Do you think any of you may have a few words of encouragement for me, someone that you don't even know, but is desperately in need of advice? I would appreciate hearing from any of you. :cool2:

Hey New Girl! I'm from Indiana too! Where in Indy are you? Where are you going for surgery? Who is your doctor? I have to tell you this is the best thing I have ever done for myself. .I do not regret it one second! Sure, there are bad experiences posted here and there but I think the positive stories far outweigh the bad! My doctor would tell you I am not the typical lapband patient ..in fact I hear she is talking about me in her seminars now ;) But I am just a few days away from being one year out and I am 113 pounds down! I've gone from a 26/28 to just about being able to get into a size 10! I can't tell you how many people don't recognize me, how many people still compliment me everytime they see me, and just how good I feel overall. I've worked HARD to get where I am. ...I followed the rules, I attend support group, I see my doctor and the dieticians on a regular basis and I work out 4-6 days a week. This has been the best thing I've ever done but it's also been the hardest. The band can help you get there but it sure takes a lot of work and determination on your own part to see success. Don't let all the bad stories get you down, if this is the right path for you, go down it ready to work and with the right attitude and you'll be a great success! Best of luck to you!

Susan

=n=n=n=n=n=

Mom To:

Hannah, Logan

Lance,

Hayden,

and the TWINkies

Mason & Morgan

=n=n=n=n=n=

weight.png

I am thinking of getting banded, but a question I have regarding a comment you made, you have worked hard to get to where you are - what made it easier to do the work with the band, than without it. The not being hungry? I am not questioning you negatively, but want to know what has made it easier to work harder to achieve your goal this time?

I screwed that one up .. haha .. this question I made is to Hoosierdoula! Sorry - not sure what I am doing here this morning. But still a question I have regarding the success ... as we all want to succeed - and I am not afraid of working hard to achieve the goal, but have tried WW, Curves, Slimfast, Jenny Craig, South Beach, done it all, am so afraid of failure. Seems like weight loss is all about setting yourself up for failure and it scares the crap outta me to fail again. How many times can a person fail. This seems like it works. Does anyone understand what I am saying?

clg-

For me it was the decision to have surgery that was a turning point in my attitude about weight loss. Well, actually having the surgery, was the turning point. Somehow I needed that level of commitment. It's no longer a diet, or a program. I made this decision for life and so that is why this is so different from a diet program.

Also, it is easier when you get full on smaller amounts of food. But like you will read all too often, it's not magic, and people can eat around it and still not have weight loss success. You have to try and try hard, but having the band, for me at least, has put me in a place where my trying hard is paying off for once.

To the original poster,

Keep reading and look for the positive. Before I decided to have my surgery, I looked through the complications forums, etc. I wanted to know what the potential risks and complications are. I decided it was worth the risk of having problems to try to be one of the successful ones--and there are a lot of successful stories out there.

But once I had made my decision, I stayed away from the negative threads as much as possible. There's no reason to work myself up about something that probably won't happen to me. If it does I'll deal with it, but I can't live in fear of the possibility.

The process of getting the band and all the changes I've made has really changed my whole life. I feel like I've found a long-lost friend because my personality has emerged again. Hadn't even realized it was missing! But all those years of being lost inside all that fat, really took a toll on my self-perception.

Yes, there are complications sometimes. But in a lot of cases (not all, but a lot) there are things you can do to avoid getting in that situation. For example, not having your band overfilled. And if you do have a problem, seeking immediate medical attention. The people who post about these things often admit that themselves, that they should have gone to the doctor sooner, or gotten an unfill, etc. I do read complication posts from time to time now in order to learn from them, what went wrong and how can I avoid this?

For me, in just under 8 months, I've lost 89 pounds, gone from a 26/28 to a size 18. I have started exercising very regularly (6 days a week), and made huge changes in my diet. This will be for life. I love this new life.

I am thinking of getting banded, but a question I have regarding a comment you made, you have worked hard to get to where you are - what made it easier to do the work with the band, than without it. The not being hungry? I am not questioning you negatively, but want to know what has made it easier to work harder to achieve your goal this time?

since all of us here have tried every diet known at some point only to fail in the end i have to say how/why did you fail? we didn't just stop dieting one day. we fell down along the way after the newness of the "diet" wore off and the dreariness of continuing this diet set in. we take baby steps toward failure. a candybar here, then some chips/dip at night and eventually a lunch at the buffet we swore we wouldn't do. next thing you know, failure and back on the same old express to fatville. only we usually move "up" the street to a new address with a higher number. sound familiar? the band can not stop the cheating on what you choose to put in your mouth. candy bars will still taste awesome. you choose to do that with or with out a band. what makes a huge difference, at least for me, is when i did cheat i would throw myself under the bus and go whole hog. ponderosa, here i come!! with a band the binge of overeating is not possible so it minimizes how much damage we can do to ourselves via overeating. also if you inch upwards on the scale a fill can help get you going again. the tool is there to be used if needed. an earlier poster said it well. this is no diet. this level of commitment is a major lifestyle change. it requires the same work as a diet does or more but it keeps you from overdoing it foodwise if used properly. bad food choices though are on your head. good luck with your decision.

clg-

For me it was the decision to have surgery that was a turning point in my attitude about weight loss. Well, actually having the surgery, was the turning point. Somehow I needed that level of commitment. It's no longer a diet, or a program. I made this decision for life and so that is why this is so different from a diet program.

That was it for me! Here I had let it go on so long that I got to the point that I had to have surgery to help me fix this. And honestly ..yea I had done every diet known to man, every pill, every program ...but there came a time I was tired of it and let myself start the excuses. With this ..no excuses! Honestly I get so frustrated reading some of the stories of "failure" on here because if those people were honest with themselves ..they aren't following band rules, they aren't putting everything they can into using that tool. When my dr told me to expect a 50 lb a year or so weight loss ..that wasn't acceptable to me, I was going to be the exception ...and here I am less than a year later down 113 pounds. I believe my attitude, my willingness to work and staying connected to my dr and their program is what caused my success.

Susan

=n=n=n=n=n=

Mom To:

Hannah, Logan

Lance,

Hayden,

and the TWINkies

Mason & Morgan

=n=n=n=n=n=

weight.png

Thank you everyone for you comments and words of advice. You are right, it's a tool and if I chose to have this done then I have a great tool to help me along. I think alot of it is my mindset too. I will not let this body that I have right now define me. I am tired of being tired. I am sick of running out of energy when my children want to play at the park. I want to be around a long time for them. Thank you so much for the reply about not reading the negative. You are so right. I have to have my mind made up and if I set myself up for failure...then I will fail. I want to be one of the happy stories. I see my doc on Oct 13th. She has to write up the letter that she has treated me for at least 18 months for obesity. My insurance wants that to prove that I have tried other options first. But good news, my insurance will cover this 100%!! Yay Me!! Any more words of advice or encouragement...keep them coming...I love to hear from any one.:tongue: