Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eeek! a trainer!

We have equipment at home that I have been using since my lapband journey began but I'm feeling bored and unmotivated these days so i looked into joining a gym and hiring a trainer. So i did! my first session is tomorrow...for anyone that has worked with a trainer...what can i expect??! i'm kinda nervous and intimidated!

...for anyone that has worked with a trainer...what can i expect??! i'm kinda nervous and intimidated!

you can expect not to be able to walk the first wk....LOL

i've had a personal trainer since the end of jan - he also trains my husband. we have a love/hate relationship - depending on what he has me doing....but i couldn't have gotten fit all on my own, the way i have with him. sad, but i have to pay someone to push me , i just won't do it myself.

he's also learned about the lapand (husband is banded also) - so we've evolved over the months with food and fitness, he's sorta a member of our family:tongue: don't be nervous or intimidated, a good trainer will know how to adjust according to your fitness levels and work accordingly.

Well,

I believe you are a step ahead of others like myself. I hated the thought of exercise and because of the trainer he made me actually say now, "I can't wait to get to the gym". I don't think you should feel intimidated but because you have been doing this for awhile you may tell them, "I know". You may find that you haven't been doing it correctly so keep an open mind and do exactly what they tell you. The first day will only be an assessment when you are with them. Allow them to measure you for inches, weight, strength level, stamina level, and fitness level.

I don't find motivation at home at all. My husband is there, my dog is there and he is watching TV and only wish that he would join in. No, he doesn't need to lose weight as he has never had a weight problem but it would just be good for him Healthwise to do this and more fun being at home if we did it together. My dog just stares at me when I am on the treadmill and makes me feel guilty that I am not giving her attention.

For what I do at the gym, I could never realisitically bring in the house.

The people at the gym should be there for one purpose and that is to get physically fit and not there to take pictures. When you are there it is time to sweat and not look pretty. Don't let other people there intimidate you. You need to have an "I am here or a reason attitude".

I stayed with my trainer for a year. There is no doubt that I miss him but I know that I can do it on my own. I just know that I have to be my own motivator and that can only happen at the gym.

I believe you will like a trainer but just remember, it isn't new to you so I hope you will still find enjoyment with them.

Josephine

Thanks Luluc! that makes me feel better. I had no problem pushing myself before but now i think i'm just bored with myself that I cannot figure out where the enthusiasm came from that i once had to 1. enjoy my workouts and 2 to push myself harder every day/week/month. i've plateaued and need something to push me in the right direction so i'm hoping the trainer will help with this! =)

Josephine-I have the same problem-a husband who doesn't need to exercise for weightloss so therefore he never wants to! Since i'm stuck right now i've asked him to put some effort in working out with me but he's kinda a drag...he's basically just there so i don't nag on him and he's trying to be supportive but he really doesn't care to push himself or maximize his results in any way so that doesn't help me...I do enjoy his company though =)

just a little update...

I had my first session last night. it went good, we only worked out for about 20 minutes as the rest of the time was spent going over measurement and body bugg stuff. but in those 20 minutes he sure did work me! i'm going again tonight and tomorrow night so i may want to die! it's funny becuase i'm just as nervous tonight as i was last night!

HI,

Good luck tomorrow with the trainer. In the past I had a trainer who had his own studio--he also trains Bon Jovi. The first week I could hardly move. ...he worked me so hard. It is not totally his fault, I did not tell him I was sore..and did I pay, I had to slide down my stairs on my butt..I could not lift my legs but I continued to go to him twice a week..I loved him as a person, but I think he over trained me..I hated the thought of going hated being there but liked it when i left. Needless to say after six months I quit...that was prior to being banded.

Today I joined a gym and signed on a trainer...I asked for the senior trainer..lucky for me he was available, I told him I am a person who will do whatever told and not complain and I told him the above story. I had an awsome workout..I worked out for one hour heart rate 125's felt the burn but do not feel terrible..I actually liked working out and am looking forward to going tomorrow. The most important thing is to be honest with your trainer, and every trainer trains differently..I know what I need is motivation and someone that is going to push me through the last three reps of whatever I am doing.......I love this guy...I get my measurements tomorrow.

Also if the trainer you selected is not "in your mind", then you can ask for a different trainer. You are paying them to notice when you are getting weak and when you need more.....You only get what you give in words in the beginning...I would be exact on what you are doing at home and what type of support you are looking for.

best of luck

Vickie

LV my LABS,

You really are going to be sore but more power to you. I hope you enjoy it and get back on track with it not being so monotonous. I love exercising. Infact at the gym they think that I am crazy because I enjoy sweating because I know what cause it is for.

Josephine

after the training I kinda felt like he wasn't pushing me enough and this morning i felt pretty good...but the longer i sat in my chair at work the more muscles i started to feel! tight hamstring and then the backs of my arms and the my shoulders and then my abs...

so i guess it was a good start! I can feel my muscles but i fell like i can still walk! i'm looking forward to going tomorrow!

Just remember he or she works for you. AND you're paying for her/him to kick your ass.

I love working with a trainer, they are far more creative with workouts than I could be on my own.

Always remember to listen to your body. I love working out with weights and my trainer pushes me to the point where I'm dripping sweat and shakey but if it is hurting something that it's not suppose to I tell him and he modifies.