Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble getting into a routine....

Hi everyone,

I'm almost 7 months post-op. For the first 4.5 for 5 months, my exercise was great -- walking, cycling, swimming, weights, Wii Fit, the works. At least 5 days a week, for an hour each time. Brilliant, right?

Anyway, I've had a very stressful couple of months (completing my post-graduate studies) and my exercise has virtually disappeared. I'm having a lot of trouble getting back into a routine - I'll walk for 2 days, then skip a day, then just fall right off the wagon.

I'm trying to give myself "tough love" in my head, but even that's not working anymore. I don't know if tough love is the answer for me.

Does anyone have a tried and tested way of getting back into routine? Like maybe putting a sticker on the calendar for every day you've exercised? Setting yourself a reward for every week that you've exercised at least 5 days? Anything like this that you would recommend?

I'm still losing weight (but a lot more slowly) BUT I don't want to settle and be one of those people who is slim, but unfit!

Thanks in advance,

Annie.

Maybe sign up for a class? That will keep you motivated to go! Maybe something like swing dancing or something you have never done before.

I always tell myself I have to go to the gym but don't have to stay past 10 minutes if I don't feel like it. Once I'm there I'm fine.

Goodluck!

Do you have a friend or family member that could be your accountability support? Maybe try rewarding yourself with something nice if you meet your weekly goal? Just a thought....

I am a year out of surgery and the first 7 or 8 months I barely did any exercise. I think it's a matter of finding something you LOVE to do. I've been running and I absolutely love it!! It's a challenge and that's what keeps me going. Someone mentioned signing up for some classes. I think that's a great idea. If it's classes you have to pay for, maybe you'd be more likey to go and finish them?

Congratulations Annie! You're doing great! You just have to decide in your mind that this is how your day starts or it ends- whatever fits your schedule and you just make yourself do it. No options. Your mind is strong enough and the more you practice making it comply they easier and more routine it will become. There are days I hate to go, but I do. I have driven past my gym b/c I'm so not in the mood. I've gone around the block and back and then just made myself turn in. (Isn't that funny!) If I'm really frumpy, I've gotten a Starbucks before I go (I go in the morning) I sit in a really beautiful sitting area of our gym, drink my coffee, read the paper and give myself time to be peaceful and in the environment makes me ready to go. Then like a previous member mentioned, I figure I'll maybe do just a short work out, but once I'm on the equipment it ends up feeling good and I get it all done even if I give myself some mind talk for "just another 5 mintues" a few times. It's those days when I get it done regardless that the reward of having done it feels so extra good!

Also, having lost my weight more than once and fallen in and out of exercise, I have found that I need a gym I REALLY LIKE. I need to like the atmosphere, the equipment, the clientele and it has to be spotless. A gym works for me because it's always there and weather is not a factor. Find what you like and do not let your mind fault you.

Edited by AppleBlossom
spelling

I am going to be banded on the 29th and haven't started working out regularly yet. If I'm lucky I walk 2 days a week for abotu 30 min each time... I know I need to get better! I've done the gym thing before, paid and never went, I was even a member at Curves for almost 3 years and went 3 times... I'm searching for something that will keep me motivated and excited. Best of luck to you. :smile2:

HATE EXERCISE!!!! Anyone from the Northwest Illinois suburbs need an exercise partner? Found I can't do it alone. Banded in Jan. 08 exercised maybe 1x a week since then. Lost a total of 32 lbs. Not enough.

A similar thing happened to me, life got in the way and I sustained a knee injury which stopped me from doing my favourite exercise - long distance outdoor running. I was almost entirely stagnant for about 3 or 4 months. I'd run one day and then do nothing for 2 weeks.

I knew the only way I would get back to it is if I had it staring me right in the face. I joined a gym I HAVE to walk past to get home after work. Like some one else responded, I play the "just stay for as long as you feel like" game and always end up doing a good hard 40-60 minute cardio work out at least 4 days a week.

Do you have any way you can put yourself in a situation like that? Where you are forcing yourself to be faced with it everyday?

I've also found that the results I am seeing are motivating too....I know that's one step past where you are now but it sure will help you keep going back to whatever you choose when you get going again!

Good luck!

OK, you know my normal routine is pretty full on, an hour six days a week. But that's a lot less time than many people spend in the gym and its precisely why I decided to take up running: I'm time poor.

But I have times too when its impossible, usually when I'm on teaching rounds with assignments due in and the odd weeks where I have ten things due in the one week.

What helps me is to accept that I'm not superhuman and I wont be able to find the time for that much exercise. So rather than think "I'll just do what I can" which wont work because I've really got NO time to exercise, I switch to emergency mode. I have a secondary routine, where my goal is to maintain my fitness and not gain weight. That's one of two things:

I shorten the distance I run and head out for half an hour first thing in the morning. I hate exercising when I'm just out of bed. Loathe it. I'm not a morning person. But if its gotta be done, its gotta be done. I do that four or five times a week.

I'f I'm REALLY busy, I do that three times. Three half hour runs will at least keep me from losing fitness during the two or three weeks my really really busy periods tend to last for.

I find the key is to not just stop. Once you stop, you're a goner. That's why I run wherever I am, I dont stop for anything, not even holidays.

Its not always easy, some days its like cleaning the bathroom. You dont want to do it but you just have to.

For me too, something portable and easy like running is vital, no way, no how could I find the time to go to a gym. I can burn 400 calories in a measly half hour, if that's all I have.