Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard time getting filled.

So I had surgery August 15th. Went for my first fill about a week and a half ago. Could not do it because I was still swelled. Went today for my first fill and still could not. I was not swelled but very tender and the nurse had to get a bigger needle. Very painful and I can take pain pretty good. Going back Thursday to try again. The doctor is doing it this time. She hinted that maybe my port had flipped. How could that happen. I have been very careful. Very upset and frustrated at this point. Any advice.

Wow thats a bummer if it did flip, I hope they are wrong. Now its my understanding that the port is stitched to the abdominal muscles you would think it would be tuff for it to flip.

Wait and see what happens on Thursday. I don't know how much you weigh but my doc said sometimes its a challenge to find the port because of our weight! (I was asking for a low profile port like the one with the realize band...which I don't have, I have the Lap Band AP) Anyway, the port can flip but it's rare. It's just as likely that the nurse couldn't find it; they are human and can have bad days etc. Of course, your Doc is human too LOL but give him a chance; he's a surgeon! Odds are he'll hit it on the first try and you'll do fine.

Glad you wrote about this. I had my band on August 14.I had my first fill today and it was a difficult procedure. they tried multiple times to with a two inch then three inch needle. I did have pain killer, lidacane which helped alot. We tried on my right side, on my back. Finally sitting up with my arm over my head worked best. My doctor says as I lose weight it will get easier. Yeah ! She also warned me I would be very bruised. I had 3cc put in today and will have another fill in 2 weeks. liquids today, muschies tommorow and food on Wednesday. If they could not have gotten it I would have had to go to the hospital to have it done there. My nurse drew a map and put it into my files about where my port it located.

Today I regretted every M&M and every chip I ever ate ! I am sure it will go better for you when you go in again.

Carol

My port has flipped twice, the first time they flipped it back (from the outside), next time I went in for a fill - yup, flipped again, they left it this time as they do stich it in and it had probably healed in the meantime. My doctor always uses a floroscope for a fill so its not a big deal. Doc says when I loose enough weight he'll go in and put in a smaller port and that'll take care of it.

It flips cause I sleep on that side and there is constant pressure. I suppose he could have sticthed it better but because it does not cause a problem I'm not worried about it.