Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Hey Dr. Kirshenbaum samurais

Did your bump go down too?

A bump on the incision? I was sore for almost five weeks but no bump. Please remember everyone heals differently. If you have concerns, call Dr. K's office.

Come on fill#1...I can't wait!

Good luck with your fill! I hope you get how it should feel better than I did. I will be there the day before for a second fill. We both will have restriction and not want any Halloween candy!:wink2:

Good luck with your fill! I hope you get how it should feel better than I did. I will be there the day before for a second fill. We both will have restriction and not want any Halloween candy!:)

I am planning on making my trip to Denver a day trip on the 31st. Why did you have to go back in less than 3 weeks? Was it just because you erred on the side of caution so you wouldn't have issues on the way home? I don't want to have to go back too soon because it is expensive to go back and forth from Vegas every couple of weeks. Natalie told me to make sure I eat something while I am there in case they need to adjust it. I'm guessing if I wait 30 minutes after the fill and go down the street and eat something then I shoudl know within an hour or so whether I will have any problems and can leave it all goes well. Otherwise I can high tail it back to his office for an adjustment. Does that sound like a reasonable expectation?

I have to tell you all that I went to a seminar tonight put on by Allergan, the makers of the Lap Band and they had Khaliah Ali (Muhammed Ali's daughter), along with Caitlin Van Zandt from Guiding Light (I don't watch it but she seemed popular) along with Dr. Roizen the author of the "You, ON a Diet" series and it was a great presentation. After reading Khaliah's book I decided to have surgery so it was good to hear them in person and really see that it does work and have someone tell me first hand what would be happening over the next few months. If you haven't read her book, I highly recommend it. It's called Fighting Weight and it's all abouther journey. Also, the You, On a Diet book is really good for banders as well. There are great, do anywhere, no equipment needed exersizes and relaxation techniques in there that are really helping me. You can buy both books on Amazon for pretty cheap or they usually have them at your library.

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask...

Have you told people at work? I did and 95% are supportive but there is one chick I used to work with and a boss that is one layer up from me that have totally changed their attitude toward me for the worst since I told a few people at work that I had surgery.

I am secretly hoping that they balloon up so they can feel what it feels like...although I have been overweight since 5 years old and never remember being less than a size 16 so there really is no comparison but it chaps my hide when people judge without knowing.

This chick that I"m talking about used to be a skinny girl who made fun of fat people her whole life and was really hurtful and then she became really fat and started hating herself. As soon as she knew I was having surgery (back in May) she started taking the weight loss meds which has been successful for her but she keeps asking me like every 3 days how much weight I've lost like she's competing with me...ahhhh she is so annoying.

I want to tell her I don't give a flying F*** what she does, I am on my own mission :rolleyes2:

:)

Anyone else have weird experiences?

Cassy,

I was leaving right after the fill for home and erred too much on the side of caution. It seems to be a fine line. I have been hungry, weight loss slow and not feeling restriction. I will get another fill and hopefully will not have to travel to Denver for another fill for a while. The weather is not always the best in the winter for travelling on I-70 from Kansas, plus the cost of gas and hotel.

Thank you for the recommendation on the books. I will check them out.

In regards to your co-workers, you only have to share your progress with the ones that are supportive. "I don't know" always works with the nosy ones. As you said, this is your mission not hers. Personally, I have only told a select few who have been very supportive.

My weight issues began in my thirties. I know the difference of how people treat you when you are small and when you are overweight. You somehow become invisible to some people and the subject of ridicule for others. Taking this step with the lap band has given me a excitement knowing I am doing something for me so I can enjoy alot of things in life instead of sitting on the sidelines. :smile:

I received my first fill on Oct 20th and I cannot feel a difference at all. I didn't want him to put to much in because I wasn't sure how it was going to be. Looking back, I wish he had put more in because I can't feel any difference. I started eating regular food and it goes down just like it did before being banded although I can’t eat the same quantity. I am going to call his office and see if they can adjust it or find out if I have to wait until my next appointment a month away. I have a 10cc band with 3.5cc’s in it.

I received my first fill on Oct 20th and I cannot feel a difference at all. I didn't want him to put to much in because I wasn't sure how it was going to be. Looking back, I wish he had put more in because I can't feel any difference. I started eating regular food and it goes down just like it did before being banded although I can’t eat the same quantity. I am going to call his office and see if they can adjust it or find out if I have to wait until my next appointment a month away. I have a 10cc band with 3.5cc’s in it.

You're under 200!!!!!! Awesome!!!

I'm frustrated, don't know what to eat, don't want to mess anything up, but not feeling really any different. Except my port hurts. I go for a fill 10/28. I haven't lost a thing since I started eating soft stuff. boo.

You're under 200!!!!!! Awesome!!!

I'm frustrated, don't know what to eat, don't want to mess anything up, but not feeling really any different. Except my port hurts. I go for a fill 10/28. I haven't lost a thing since I started eating soft stuff. boo.

Figuring out what to eat after the Soup phase is so hard. I am still pretty much eating mushy food. I am allowed real food now but I am in hurry. I tried to eat a turkey wrap and it got stuck! So, then I tried to wash it down with a gulp of crystal light. Huge mistake. I swear to god I thought I was suffocating. It seriously felt like I was drowning. I need to remember to take smaller bits and chew, chew, chew!

Don't worry about the losing pounds so much right now. We are still healing from surgery. Once we get our fills we will be on our way to Skinnyville!

Are you going back to Dr. K for all of your fills? I have found a doctor here in Washington I am going to use. He charges 375 for x-ray fills. I figure by the time I pay for airplane ticket, rental car, and airport parking it all works out to be the same price.

Figuring out what to eat after the Soup phase is so hard. I am still pretty much eating mushy food. I am allowed real food now but I am in hurry. I tried to eat a turkey wrap and it got stuck! So, then I tried to wash it down with a gulp of crystal light. Huge mistake. I swear to god I thought I was suffocating. It seriously felt like I was drowning. I need to remember to take smaller bits and chew, chew, chew!

Don't worry about the losing pounds so much right now. We are still healing from surgery. Once we get our fills we will be on our way to Skinnyville!

Are you going back to Dr. K for all of your fills? I have found a doctor here in Washington I am going to use. He charges 375 for x-ray fills. I figure by the time I pay for airplane ticket, rental car, and airport parking it all works out to be the same price.

Yes, Dr K will be doing my fills. I wouldn't have been able to do this, being self pay, having to get a loan for the surgery, if I would have had to fly or pay a lot for fills too. I have to drive about an hour. Not bad. He charges only $15, but doesn't use xray. Hope that's ok. Will have to be, can't change it now. I'm getting anxious to get a fill and be able to start eating anything that's a more balanced diet. Still don't want to throw up, but don't want to worry about slippage. We're getting there.......

I would love to ask you all a question. I go see Dr. K on Tuesday and I have surgery Wednesday! Oh, right....the question. I have been on no bread, potatoes, Pasta or rice. Any way I have lost 11 pounds and I haven't been hungry. I am eating 1100-1300 calories and 120-130gm of Protein, but my carbs have been 30-50. I am worried. Do you think I will be ok? I have really been trying to watch it, but even cottage cheese has carbs. Is carbs worse than fat?

Hi everyone! I too, would like to join in this thread. I agree with y'all on the other post. Thx to Miss Ambraberger I found this thread.:thumbup: Yay!

Julieann: I think you will be fine. Paula told me to follow the Atkins diet and when I told Dr.K at my pre-op he said no. He just doesn't want you eating anything white. I was dizzy on the pre-op diet so he said fruit was fine. He also said it mainly pertains to the 24 hrs. prior to surgery. Are you getting excited/anxious? Congrats on the major weight loss on the pre-op diet. I only lost 2 lbs. Lol...:blush: Best of luck for surgery day!

I would love to ask you all a question. I go see Dr. K on Tuesday and I have surgery Wednesday! Oh, right....the question. I have been on no bread, potatoes, Pasta or rice. Any way I have lost 11 pounds and I haven't been hungry. I am eating 1100-1300 calories and 120-130gm of Protein, but my carbs have been 30-50. I am worried. Do you think I will be ok? I have really been trying to watch it, but even cottage cheese has carbs. Is carbs worse than fat?

Paula told me to follow the Atkins diet. I had no bread, rice, potatoes, sugar, flour, Pasta, etc. for a month (He told me only 10 days but I wasn't taking any chances). I followed the diet to the letter. I only lost 4-5 pounds. I was so nervous my liver was going to be fatty that I came up with a new phobia term "liverphobia". I was completely freaked out. When I met with Dr. K before my surgery he said I would be fine. Any weight loss is going to help make your liver okay for surgery.

Just make sure you are following the diet they recommended to you. If you are nervous you can cut out all carbs for the next few days. Follow the Phase 1 of the Atkins diet. All Protein, No Carbs.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about your surgery. You are going to do fantastic!!

Thanks guys. You've made me feels tons better!

I AM so excited. It seems like it would never get here. I am not going to work on Monday and we live 7 hours from Denver so we have a long drive on Tuesday before my pre-op appt. On Friday I went into work saying to myself that it was the last time I will work before I am banded. Everything is getting measured by that date! It will be a new life for me. I am determined and have a great husband to support me. I have haven't told anyone else about my surgery.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes!!!!!!!:eek:

Oh yeah...I weighed this morning and I am down 14! I hope that keeps up!

One more question. I am getting surgery at Crown Point. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel. The Hampton Inn is close. (only 2 minutes away) The Marriot (11 min) has been nice in other cities. Select Hotel by Holiday Inn is 6 minutes away. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help. I need to make reservations tomorrow.

One more question. I am getting surgery at Crown Point. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel. The Hampton Inn is close. (only 2 minutes away) The Marriot (11 min) has been nice in other cities. Select Hotel by Holiday Inn is 6 minutes away. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help. I need to make reservations tomorrow.

Don't worry Juli Ann, Dr K just scares people into eating right. He didn't even check me when I went in...he gauges it based on whether you lost weight or not. Just stay away from simply sugars. He even told several people that they are ok to eat complex carbs but to stay away from sugars of any kind. I would keep doing what you're doing and you'll have a nice head start on your weight loss to carry you through to your first fill.