Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Hey Dr. Kirshenbaum samurais

Wow and you were even able to post about it. Thanks for sharing. We'll definitely have to keep in touch as we all go through this. Speedy recovery! :redface:

Lowbmier: I will be keeping you in my thoughts tomorrow. I do think that getting the GasX strips is a good idea. I feel comforted knowing that Dr. K removes as much of the gas as possible, however I spoke to my mom who has had numerous surgeries and she said that you wouldn't want to be caught in that kind of pain without something available so...better to be safe than sorry.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to feel up to dinner on the 23rd or sitting anywhere for too long, but just in case you do the group of 24th'ers and a few others from later in the week will be meeting up at Ruby Tuesday's at 14100 East Iliff Avenue in Aurora, CO on Tuesday the 23rd at 6:30 pm.

All family/support members and children are also invited. Just let me know how many will come if you want to join by 6pm so I can get the seating set up. email me and I'll send my contact information to you. The number to the restaurant is 303-368-4757.

Everyone is invited ...for any other Dr. K patients or others who are lap band patients in the area. I will be wearing a bright green shirt and I have red hair and black rimmed glasses so you'll have an easy time picking me out. I'll also let the hostess know that there is a group of Dr. K patients coming in so you won't have to be looking around.

I am super happy for you and I know that you are in good hands so sit back, relax, and think about your new life!

Hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday and if not...please be sure to post so we know how you are doing.

I'll be there with 2 of my friends. Total of 3. Yay!

How are all my Dr. K girls doing?

I am doing well. I can't wait to start my soft food on Tuesday. I already know what I am making! LOL

There is still some pain in my port area and it is still swollen. Is that normal?

I hope everyone else is doing well!!

To answer the original question: I don't remember everything that happened at the airport because I flew home the morning after surgery and I was doped and groggy. My sister came with me and she pushed me throught the airport in a wheelchair. We had EVERYTHING in the carry on bag. Because you never know if you are going to be sitting on the tarmac for 8 hours or stuck in your connecting airport or whatever, so I needed to have my pain meds with me. It seemed like we got a letter from Dr. K to present to TSA. I even had some broth in my carryon and they let that go through too. I remember there being some discussion at security and a supervisor coming over. I was groggy, but I remember lifting my shirt up to show them my belly and they let us bring everything through, even the broth. They didn't ask to see my belly, I was just loopy and lifted my shirt up. If you are really worried, then take a clean bottle and pour off most of your painkiller into the clean bottle and check it in your luggage. Then keep the remaining painkiller in it's original prescription bottle and carry it on. If they confiscate it, you will still have the majority of it in your luggage. But if you have a letter from Dr K, they should let you bring it through. I would argue for it, because you could really start hurting and need it badly. I would also suggest you upgrade to 1st class for your return trip. We called the morning of our departure and upgraded for $150. It was well worth that for the extra room. I would also wait until the 2nd morning after surgery to travel. I should not have tried it the following morning. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the travel.

To answer the original question: I don't remember everything that happened at the airport because I flew home the morning after surgery and I was doped and groggy. My sister came with me and she pushed me throught the airport in a wheelchair. We had EVERYTHING in the carry on bag. Because you never know if you are going to be sitting on the tarmac for 8 hours or stuck in your connecting airport or whatever, so I needed to have my pain meds with me. It seemed like we got a letter from Dr. K to present to TSA. I even had some broth in my carryon and they let that go through too. I remember there being some discussion at security and a supervisor coming over. I was groggy, but I remember lifting my shirt up to show them my belly and they let us bring everything through, even the broth. They didn't ask to see my belly, I was just loopy and lifted my shirt up. If you are really worried, then take a clean bottle and pour off most of your painkiller into the clean bottle and check it in your luggage. Then keep the remaining painkiller in it's original prescription bottle and carry it on. If they confiscate it, you will still have the majority of it in your luggage. But if you have a letter from Dr K, they should let you bring it through. I would argue for it, because you could really start hurting and need it badly. I would also suggest you upgrade to 1st class for your return trip. We called the morning of our departure and upgraded for $150. It was well worth that for the extra room. I would also wait until the 2nd morning after surgery to travel. I should not have tried it the following morning. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the travel.

My husband was so nice. He upgraded my tickets to first-class. It was so nice! I feel totally spoiled. LOL I stayed 2 days after my surgery before I flew home so I felt okay. I just dumped some pain meds in a travel size bottle and then drank it when I got on the plane. I definitely got a strange look from my my seat mate but I didn't really care.

I think if you are going to have surgery and have to travel afterward first class is the way to go!

I was happy to find another Dr. K thread. Tomorrow is my 1 month bandversity. Travelling to Denver for a fill tonight and first fill tomorrow. I am a little nervous but anxious to proceed to the next step in this journey. I hope everyone is doing well!

I was happy to find another Dr. K thread. Tomorrow is my 1 month bandversity. Travelling to Denver for a fill tonight and first fill tomorrow. I am a little nervous but anxious to proceed to the next step in this journey. I hope everyone is doing well!

Hi there, just out of curiosity how is your eating going? Are you able to eat a cup or more at a time? I'm just wondering how you know if you need a fill or not.

How long did it take for your pain to go away completely? I'm 10 days out, and just uncomfortable. Going back to work monday, and just wondering when I'll feel more like normal. Thanks.

I am still sore around the port incision. I can sleep on my side now but not all night. I felt I really turned the corner to feeling good after about 2-1/2 weeks. I did not experience hunger until then either. I can eat 3/4-1 cup of food.

This is my first fill. Dr. K's office scheduled it one month out from my surgery. My weight loss slowed to 1-1/2 last week. It my understanding the proper fill would reduce my food intake per meal to 1/2-3/4 cup of food or the size of my fist. One of the hardest part has been to eat slowly. I eat too fast and the food seems to "sit" on my chest and makes me uncomfortable. Glad to talk to both of you and congratulations on your new journey!

I am still sore around the port incision. I can sleep on my side now but not all night. I felt I really turned the corner to feeling good after about 2-1/2 weeks. I did not experience hunger until then either. I can eat 3/4-1 cup of food.

This is my first fill. Dr. K's office scheduled it one month out from my surgery. My weight loss slowed to 1-1/2 last week. It my understanding the proper fill would reduce my food intake per meal to 1/2-3/4 cup of food or the size of my fist. One of the hardest part has been to eat slowly. I eat too fast and the food seems to "sit" on my chest and makes me uncomfortable. Glad to talk to both of you and congratulations on your new journey!

How did your fill go?

I'm trying to eat slower. It's been helping me not get so sore. It's hard to eat cream of wheat slow when you feel like your starving. Geez! My mental attitude is better tho, so it's helping.

How did your fill go?

I'm trying to eat slower. It's been helping me not get so sore. It's hard to eat cream of wheat slow when you feel like your starving. Geez! My mental attitude is better tho, so it's helping.

I was nervous but it went well. I called Natalie the day before because I did not know if I needed to have a fill on an empty stomach. She advised to not have anything to eat 4 hours prior. Since I was still sore around the port site, I was tender when Dr. K pushed in to find the port. He said I shouldn't have that at the next fill. He is very good and found the port quickly with the sonagram, then with the needle! The needle did not hurt and I did not look. It was strange to have to sit up with the needle with saline still inserted to drink Water. Since it was my first fill, I had a hard time 'feeling" the Water hitting the band. I have saw on other threads that some patients bring in their own ice water for fills to help. I am going to try that next time. The cold water may help me feel the water. He got up to 4.4 cc but ended up backing up to 3.8 cc total fill. (I didn't know it but my band already had 1.7 cc from surgery). He erred on the side of caution because I was travelling 5-1/2 hours home on Friday and couldn't come right back if I needed an unfill.

I hope your hunger is better. How much are you able to each per meal? 1 cup or less? I am still working on the eating slower. It is real hard to make 1/2-3/4 cup of food last 30 minutes. :crying:

I was nervous but it went well. I called Natalie the day before because I did not know if I needed to have a fill on an empty stomach. She advised to not have anything to eat 4 hours prior. Since I was still sore around the port site, I was tender when Dr. K pushed in to find the port. He said I shouldn't have that at the next fill. He is very good and found the port quickly with the sonagram, then with the needle! The needle did not hurt and I did not look. It was strange to have to sit up with the needle with saline still inserted to drink Water. Since it was my first fill, I had a hard time 'feeling" the Water hitting the band. I have saw on other threads that some patients bring in their own ice water for fills to help. I am going to try that next time. The cold water may help me feel the water. He got up to 4.4 cc but ended up backing up to 3.8 cc total fill. (I didn't know it but my band already had 1.7 cc from surgery). He erred on the side of caution because I was travelling 5-1/2 hours home on Friday and couldn't come right back if I needed an unfill.

I hope your hunger is better. How much are you able to each per meal? 1 cup or less? I am still working on the eating slower. It is real hard to make 1/2-3/4 cup of food last 30 minutes. :biggrin:

Come on fill#1...I can't wait!

Did everyone else get their port more in the middle than on their side? I researched this surgery for years and always thought the port went closer to our sides.

Also, I had my surgery on the 24th and my port site is still swollen. Anyone else?

x-posted to other Dr. K thread

Edited by mdargen