Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Hey Dr. Kirshenbaum samurais

I did not do the supossitory at all I told them I would take it if I needed it never did need it thank god...

Yuck

He's really cool I flew all the way from south fl to get banded by him.

I'm sitting waiting for my local doc to come in this morning for my 6th fill I think..

Well I had my preop appointment this morning. I was anxious as well as nervous to see if I dropped enough to qualify. I did. I asked the Dr. if I could have a last meal on Sunday night and he said no. He said if I eat carbs my liver will expand rapidly so no carbs today or going forward. He also said the facility where I will be having the procedure has all new equipment and that he uses only physicians as his anesthesiologist instead of nurses. Not that nurses aren't just as good, but he said they cost the same. He said the operating room is just as well equipped as a hospital. He also said he does not recommend putting anything on the scars because it makes them worse in the long run. He also said that he gets rid of all the gas around your intestines so there is no need for Gas X. He said I could take it but he thinks it is a waste of money. He prescribed Vocodin liquid (sp), an antibiotic, a suppository and an anti nausea medicine. He will also be giving me an Albuturol treatment for my asthma before surgery. I feel totally at ease with doing this with him. He is very confident and reassuring and I think I am in good hands. He also has students that will be in the operating room as well. Overall, I think I'm ready. :crying:

I have been doing the Atkins, trying to keep it below 20 grams of carbs a day and at worst, less than 50 on the days when I've slipped up which has been twice.

Thanks for the info on the meds, that helps

Oh he also said I cannot eat or drink anything for 4 hours before surgery. Also, you should not be constipated on the day of the surgery. He really stressed that point, so I am drinking lots of Water up till the surgery and making sure I mix Benefiber with my water. Doing Atkins seems to make a person constipated. It's either that or I'm not getting enough water.:crying:

I have been doing an Atkins type diet. I have slipped a little, but I have been doing ok I guess. I seem hungry though so I eat more than what I know I should. I have been losing so I guess it hasn't hurt. I thought my preop was Friday but it is actually tomorrow. Really excited to see what happends during that visit. My surgery is on Moday so I have the weekend to gather all the necessary items I need.:thumbup:

Good luck monday! I'll be thinking about you! So what stuff did you get prior?

As for diet, I haven't been, I start my preop on monday. They told me no potatoes, bread, rice, Pasta or Beans. I hope its enough to shrink the ole liver, cuz if he gets in there and decides not to do it I'm screwed. Self pay and can't afford to do it again. :eek:

how do you do the ticker? i did it once and then tried to change it, and lost it. haven't been able to get it back. computer illiterate i guess. thanks for the help

As for diet, I haven't been, I start my preop on monday. They told me no potatoes, bread, rice, Pasta or Beans. I hope its enough to shrink the ole liver, cuz if he gets in there and decides not to do it I'm screwed. Self pay and can't afford to do it again. :thumbup:

I am selfpay too. If he can't do it I am totally screwed and out all that money. I haven't eaten any of that stuff in weeks so I really hoping I did enough for Wednesday.

I am selfpay too. If he can't do it I am totally screwed and out all that money. I haven't eaten any of that stuff in weeks so I really hoping I did enough for Wednesday.

If you've been doing it for weeks, i'm sure you'll be fine. I'm sure i'll be fine too. They told me to start 1 week prior to my surgery, so that should be enough, it's just nervwracking! Good luck wed!

As for diet, I haven't been, I start my preop on monday. They told me no potatoes, bread, rice, Pasta or Beans. I hope its enough to shrink the ole liver, cuz if he gets in there and decides not to do it I'm screwed. Self pay and can't afford to do it again. :eek:

Thank you for the good wishes for me on Monday. I am getting nervous but also ready to get the show on the road. I am going to get some fruit juices and a heating pad. I am still looking into what Protein drinks to get. I think I will still get Gax X even though doc doesn't think I will need it (back up plan). Other than that I guess I will deal with things as they come up. I will let you know exactly what happends on the day of surgery with Dr. K so you will better prepared with what to expect.:thumbup:

Good Luck Lowbmier!!!!

I know everything will be great! But I will send happy thoughts your way!

As far as my pre-op diet... I am exactly 2 months from surgery (Nov 19th is the day!!!)

I decided to go ahead and start dieting i mean... what can it hurt... the more I lose now... the less I have to lose after!

I am eating lean meats, greens... generally stuff like that! No breads, Pasta, etc.

Thank you for the good wishes for me on Monday. I am getting nervous but also ready to get the show on the road. I am going to get some fruit juices and a heating pad. I am still looking into what Protein drinks to get. I think I will still get Gax X even though doc doesn't think I will need it (back up plan). Other than that I guess I will deal with things as they come up. I will let you know exactly what happends on the day of surgery with Dr. K so you will better prepared with what to expect.:embaressed_smile:

Lowbmier: I will be keeping you in my thoughts tomorrow. I do think that getting the GasX strips is a good idea. I feel comforted knowing that Dr. K removes as much of the gas as possible, however I spoke to my mom who has had numerous surgeries and she said that you wouldn't want to be caught in that kind of pain without something available so...better to be safe than sorry.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to feel up to dinner on the 23rd or sitting anywhere for too long, but just in case you do the group of 24th'ers and a few others from later in the week will be meeting up at Ruby Tuesday's at 14100 East Iliff Avenue in Aurora, CO on Tuesday the 23rd at 6:30 pm.

All family/support members and children are also invited. Just let me know how many will come if you want to join by 6pm so I can get the seating set up. email me and I'll send my contact information to you. The number to the restaurant is 303-368-4757.

Everyone is invited ...for any other Dr. K patients or others who are lap band patients in the area. I will be wearing a bright green shirt and I have red hair and black rimmed glasses so you'll have an easy time picking me out. I'll also let the hostess know that there is a group of Dr. K patients coming in so you won't have to be looking around.

I am super happy for you and I know that you are in good hands so sit back, relax, and think about your new life!

Hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday and if not...please be sure to post so we know how you are doing.

I have been doing an Atkins type diet. I have slipped a little, but I have been doing ok I guess. I seem hungry though so I eat more than what I know I should. I have been losing so I guess it hasn't hurt. I thought my preop was Friday but it is actually tomorrow. Really excited to see what happends during that visit. My surgery is on Moday so I have the weekend to gather all the necessary items I need.:rolleyes2:

thinking of you today:wub:

I made it!

Edited by Lowbmier

Well thank you all for the well wishes. Everything went very well. I woke up this morning surprisingly not nervous at all. Got to the surgery center at 7:30. The receptionist was great. You should not bring anything of value. Do not wear any jewelry because they put all your things in a plastic bag and take the bag away. Not sure where they take it. During the 1 1/2 hours of the wait, they started my IV and gave me all the medications I was going to need for the surgery Also I met with both doctors. It went by very fast. Then they rolled me out to the operating room and moved me onto another table. There were about six people in the room including two of his students. They didn't ask me to count down or anything I think they just added the medicine and I just feel asleep. The next thing I knew they are waking me up and asking me to sip some ice cubes. That's when I slowing started to feel the pain from the surgery. Not unbearable, but that’s when it sank in that I had made it though the surgery. My mom came and picked me up and they wheeled me out in a wheel chair. My surgery started at 9:20 and I left to go home 12:45. I was up a walking and sipping with no real problems. I tried to eat a piece of hard candy but my stomach didn't like that too much so I will just be sipping Water for today. It feels better to sit upward and also to walk around. It seems when you do the pain is less noticeable. I'm doing great so far. I'm glad I went for it. My scars aren't too bad. I am swollen but other than that I thought it would be much much worse that what it has been so far.

Good luck to all of you with surgeries coming up. I will be thinking of you. Be sure to post so we know how your surgery went.

As far as the dinner invitation, I would have loved to go, but I came down to Colorado Springs to recuperate so I won't even be in Denver. I would have loved to meet you all. Maybe going forward we can try to meet up so we can be of support to each other since were getting our bands so close to the same time