Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions For The Newly Banded

Hello everyone I am working on getting everything down but it's kinda hard to do it all. I was banded on Sept. 8th and the first day I sipped too much out of a straw along with my pain meds tablets and I vomited everywhere, so later I figured out that I should have been sipping out of a spoon. When I tried that it made my life so much better because I was able to keep my meds down after I crushed them. I have been doing only 600 mg instead of the 1200 but I working on getting the whole amount in one day. I also have been doing the flinestone Vitamin once aday but I need to it twice but I'm working on it. Now about the Protein shake I have not been getting what I need everyday. I've been doing the slimfast shake because thats the only one I can tolerate but that is only giving me 10 grams of Protein. I've been doing the small oz of meat that equals 7 more grams of protein but I am stil not getting what I need. So does everyone have any suggestions what Protein Shake taste good enough to drink because so far I am way behind. Help Help!!!

I was banded on Aug 20th and I have found that the whey Protein shakes from GNC taste pretty good but you can also try some Almond Milk or vanilla Milk which helps.

Hello everyone I am working on getting everything down but it's kinda hard to do it all. I was banded on Sept. 8th and the first day I sipped too much out of a straw along with my pain meds tablets and I vomited everywhere, so later I figured out that I should have been sipping out of a spoon. When I tried that it made my life so much better because I was able to keep my meds down after I crushed them. I have been doing only 600 mg instead of the 1200 but I working on getting the whole amount in one day. I also have been doing the flinestone Vitamin once aday but I need to it twice but I'm working on it. Now about the Protein shake I have not been getting what I need everyday. I've been doing the slimfast shake because thats the only one I can tolerate but that is only giving me 10 grams of Protein. I've been doing the small oz of meat that equals 7 more grams of protein but I am stil not getting what I need. So does everyone have any suggestions what Protein Shake taste good enough to drink because so far I am way behind. Help Help!!!

Hi Nina,

I don't particularly like whey so I bought some gensoy Protein powder and blend it in with various soy milks (vanilla, or chocolate or coffee or egg nog) One glass of that is up around 30 grams of protein. I am surprised they have you eating meat so soon after the band. I was on Clear Liquids a week after the band and can't even fathom eating solids then. I just didn't have the appetite for it.

A lot of people buy those bullets..and they really are life savers. I will put them in Water through out the day and sip on it. 42g of protein for one bullet so you can do that through out the day.

She is right we are all in this together in one way or another. Good Luck and hang in there!

Hi Nina,

I don't particularly like whey so I bought some gensoy Protein powder and blend it in with various soy milks (vanilla, or chocolate or coffee or egg nog) One glass of that is up around 30 grams of Protein. I am surprised they have you eating meat so soon after the band. I was on Clear Liquids a week after the band and can't even fathom eating solids then. I just didn't have the appetite for it.

A lot of people buy those bullets..and they really are life savers. I will put them in Water through out the day and sip on it. 42g of protein for one bullet so you can do that through out the day.

She is right we are all in this together in one way or another. Good Luck and hang in there!

Hey Amaltha, thanks for responding. My doc has me on clear liquids for 2 days then pureed foods for two weeks. The chicken that I had was pureed (yuke) but my nutritionist gave me a sheet that says that 1oz of meat is 7grams of protein, and since I've not been able to get all the protein I need in I was trying to eat a couple of ounces. I am gonna have to figure out this protein thing because it may be why I am feeling so weak. I am taking the Calcium, flinestone Vitamins, B12 and my pain and nausea meds daily so far. Later I am going to add some Biotin tablets that is to help me with healthy hair, nails and skin.

Well Thanks again and good luck to you.

Nina, do you like creamy Peanut Butter? I buy the Reese's Creamy Peanut Butter and it only has 3 grams of sugar but 7 grams of Protein for 2T. It holds me over for a really long time. I just take a large spoonful and slowly eat it. I'll do the 2T in a day. Sometimes I can do it in a sitting but it takes a long time and I'm stuffed for HOURS after! I agree that pureed meat is just not right. UGH!

Nina, do you like creamy Peanut Butter? I buy the Reese's Creamy Peanut Butter and it only has 3 grams of sugar but 7 grams of Protein for 2T. It holds me over for a really long time. I just take a large spoonful and slowly eat it. I'll do the 2T in a day. Sometimes I can do it in a sitting but it takes a long time and I'm stuffed for HOURS after! I agree that pureed meat is just not right. UGH!

Thanks Heartfire, I have creamy Jif and it has 3grams of fat, 3grams of sugar and yes 7grams of Protein I will enjoy me some Jif today. I know that I can't have celery right now but later I will keep jif and celery in mind as a healthy snack.

Thanks a Bunch!

I can't find a Protein Drink that I can stomach. Any advice?

I can't find a Protein Drink that I can stomach. Any advice?

BiPro (google it) has a Whey Protein Isolate that is tasteless and you can add it to anything for 20 grams of protein per scoop (add 1 scoop per 8oz of liquid). That might help.

1. Do you measure your Water out and drink so much an hour? I was

told to drink 32 ounces. I've been setting a timer and sipping 2 oz

every hour.

2. Do you feel a heaviness in chest? If so, do you think this is a sign to

stop sipping the Water?

3. Do you have lots of rumbling going on?

4. Have you been able to lie down? I can't lie down but I can sleep

sitting up in bed with lots of pillows.

And something else- when/how are you taking your Calcium, multi-Vitamins and Iron?

1. No timer or measuring, but I try to drink 3-4 16oz. bottles of water a day.

2. If you drink (or eat) too fast or too much, it feels uncomfortable. That's the whole point of the band.

3. Oh yeah. :tt1: Just some gas, you body is getting used to different intake. You'll probably get diarrhea too since it's all liquids, that's normal.

4. I can lay down. On my back right away, on my side around day 4, still not on stomach at day 6. The trick for me is to just change from any one position to any other real slow.

5. I chew one Centrum Silver chewable every morning and also drink a 3 oz. New Whey clear liquid Protein shot that has 42g of Protein. That way I get all the requirements out of the way first thing and don't have to think about it anymore that day.

Good luck!

I like the Atkins shakes. They have coffee flavor, vanilla, strawberry and a couple different chocolate flavors. I drink 2.5 ozs. 3 times a day for the Protein meals and eat 1 strained chicken or similair Soup once a day for that 4th meal. My doc told me banders can eat 5 to 6 meals per day if needed as long as they don't exceed 3 ounces at a time. I can drink about 30 ounces of crystal light in 24 hours now. I know I need to double it. I am 5 days post op. Banded on 9/12.