Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has anyone cheated on their full liquid diet

Did you cheat on your full liquid post op diet at all?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on your full liquid post op diet at all?

my doc is required a month of full liquids ... hes not my favorite pweron right now... and i seem to have a permanent mood. especially around lunch time at workschoolearth... so my question to you is dod you cheat on your full liquid diet.at at all

I voted that I did.

My doctor had Clear Liquids one week, full liquids one week, soft foods one week, and then advance as tolerated.

I went from clear to full liquids a day early, from full to soft 2 days early, and from soft to more regular foods at about 3 days before hand (so I kind of worked 6 day weeks instead of 7 day weeks).

So, I didn't really cheat the diet so much as the calendar. :lol:

Nope didn't cheat on the liquids but I got banded on Aug 20th and am on puree and soft foods, haven't been so complaint with those!!! But have heard horror stories of people who have had slippage!!!Keep your head up and comply, comply comply!!!

Hi, guys and gals. I'm a year out -- I was banded August 2007. I slipped in here by accident, but have been reading your posts and reminiscing about being where you all are.

A word of caution. DON'T cheat the post-op diet. (Or PRE-OP for that matter!) There are legitimate reasons for requiring them, your doctor's aren't just sitting in their offices, wringing their hands and cackling like the Marquis de Sade at the thought of you suffering on liquids.

At least I don't THINK they are! LOL

Hang in there. You don't want your stomach having to work to digest food (digestion is not just a chemical reaction, but requires your stomach actually MOVING) until the band has gotten "seated". That is the stitches hold it in place until your body starts to form some scar tissue around it that is necessary to keep it firmly in place.

Anyway -- keep up the good work.

Pam<-------------about to pass the century mark!!

Nope didn't cheat on the liquids but I got banded on Aug 20th and am on puree and soft foods, haven't been so complaint with those!!! But have heard horror stories of people who have had slippage!!!Keep your head up and comply, comply comply!!!

my biggest problem is that according to my doc when you are back to real food ill be 1 week till im "supposedly "off full liquids and im only 6 days after you... now im fine... but a month on liquids... its down right excessive.

i voted no. cause i havent. i had surgery the 26th and i had to stay and Clear Liquids for 3 days and then full liquids until day 14 post op. so im still on them. but so far i havent cheated. im doing good right now. i get to go on mushies in about 3-4 days.

jason r

I voted yes because last night I went out and had a cup of potato and cheese Soup, which I am suppose to be on liquid which they said cream soup is fine as long as no chunks, and I did take a small and I mean small bite of a potato in it and chewed and chewed and all was ok but I felt very quilty!

I voted no, although I'm still on the post-op liquid diet (mine is only a week, and then I move on to mushies). I didn't cheat on the pre-op diet either. I feel like this is my last chance to be thin again, and I'm not about to jeopardize everything now for a quick fix of food. I'm don't mean to be critical of anyone else, because I know the lure of food is such a challenge, but for me, I just don't have any desire to go off track.

Wow Kiz, I am so impressed with your attitude and admire you! I feel the same way! I am on Day 7 of 2 weeks of pre-op liquid diet and I haven't cheated either. I just don't want to jeapordize anything at all. I want my health to be better! As my Mom says - "you can do anything for a little while"....

Way to go, Marienola, the end is in sight now! I know it can be hard to stick to that diet, but you're half way there now. I'm so happy for you.

Not that I'm obsessing about food, BUT, I took a nap today, and in my very first dream I had a big box of Krispie Kreme donuts. In my dream, I broke off a tiny bite and savored it. Then, just before I woke up, I had a box of KFC for my kids, and I couldn't resist taking a bite of a leg. OMG, it was sooo good. Just before I swallowed, I thought, NO, I can't, I'll mess up my surgery, and spit it out. Even after I woke up, for a second, I couldn't remember if it was true or just a dream. I then went and had my afternoon Protein Shake, and you know, it went down easier, because I really did feel rotten during my dream.

I've seen it said here over and over, "Nothing tastes as good, as thin feels." That sums it up for me.

Hi guys! I'm brand new to you all as of 10 minutes ago!!! I was having a struggle with being down right sick of drinking pureed liquid Soup. Tomorrow I get the advance to soft foods but today I had some cottage cheese and did fine. I smeared it (sorry for the details) between my teeth until it was disgusting and it worked fine. I guess we all were given different instructions....I'd be interested in knowing what the different docs reasonings were for 1 week, 2 weeks etc. for full liquids, to mush etc. Band slippage, swelling inside, stitches adhering etc?

:smile:If I may butt in.

I was two weeks prior to surgery on liquids, and cheated with the advice of the nutritionist because it was over Christmas and all the parties I had to go to.

After surgery we were two more weeks of liquid, then to mushies, and then 5 weeks out solids.

I felt so afraid of my band shifting that I stuck to the liquids religiously. Remember, this is major surgery, your band is stitched to your stomach, your port to your abdominal muscle. Any solids that go in must be digested, causing your stomach to move, its a muscle. Your stomach may still be swollen, so your stitches may not be set and you can loosen them up or even break them. They could pull free and you now have a hole in your stomach, or the band moves up to your esophogus and causes other problems. Then you are back in the hospital with a shifted or slipped band, and its removed and you are back to square one.

Believe me it gets better and you hardly remember the feelings of the first month when you start seeing the pounds come off. Hang in there.:thumbup:

I didn't vote b/c my doctor basically changed my post op diet after seeing him 10 days after surgery. I never cheated while on the clear liquid post op diet. It was very easy b/c I was never really hungry. He basically said I could go ahead with full liquids, if everthing seemed to go down well then I could move on to mushies and even try some solids.

So far everything seems to be goind well. However, I thought I would feel full sooner when eating. I thought I would only be able to eat about 1/2 a cup of food and generally I can eat double that until I feel full.