Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I want to be off as much time as I can get approved...so you got 4 weeks approved, is that about right? What kind of work do you do?

Hi. I work as a technician for a telecommunications company. I knew that if my time off was going to be beyond 7 calendar days, I would have to apply for short term benefits anyway. They did give me 4 weeks. I was really shocked. I wasn't expecting them to give me anything. I have just been sitting in a chair myself. I tried sleeping in the bed, but that didn't work. I am on Clear Liquids until tomorrow. After that, I am allowed anything that can go through a straw plus sf pudding, low fat yogurt (no chunks), and thin potatoes. I am so ready for something other than broth. Not because I am starving, but because I HATE broth. :drool: I hope you feel better soon, and that they approve your time off.

Does anyone else still have a bloaded stomach with port pain?

My stomach looks like I am at least 6 months pregnant.:mellow: My port is the only spot that is sore. It really hurts to cough. I just worked up to 800 calories. I have been using myfitnesspal.com to measure my intake. I haven't had any pain medicine since Saturday. It just tastes too awful.:thumbup:

Hi all, I was banded on 9/26....will this thread continue now even when we are out of september....not quite sure how this works? It would be great to keep track with others banded around the same time.

We can (and I hope will) continue to have our own subforum for anyone banded in September '08. We will forever be September Samurai. WooHoo!

Hi everyone. I am a Sept. Samurai. too! I was banded on 9/12 by Dr. Valin at St. Rahael's in New Haven. I had to stay the night too. I've lost 15 lbs. so far. Whew hoo!

Way to go!

Hello...my name is Stephanie and this is my first post. I am so excited for this new ride. My surgery was Thursday, 9/25 in NY.

I have no idea what this Samurai stuff is about but I'm ready to be a part of it.

I am feeling pretty darn good. I was sore the day after...but moreso in my arm/hand where they RIPPED the IV out of me!!! OMG!!

I'm a bit tired now but I'll post some more another time. I'm looking forward to sharing and hearing of everyone's experiences as we go on....

Hello...my name is Stephanie and this is my first post. I am so excited for this new ride. My surgery was Thursday, 9/25 in NY.

I have no idea what this Samurai stuff is about but I'm ready to be a part of it.

I am feeling pretty darn good. I was sore the day after...but moreso in my arm/hand where they RIPPED the IV out of me!!! OMG!!

I'm a bit tired now but I'll post some more another time. I'm looking forward to sharing and hearing of everyone's experiences as we go on....

Hi. Welcome to the forum. You and I had surgery on the same day. In a nutshell, a September Samurai is just a sub-forum support group made up of the people that had their surgery during September '08. Every month of this year has a sub-forum support group of people that are in the same stages of the process as you are. There are other sub-forums that are based on things such as age, weight, and interests. Just look around the site and you will find so much information and support from everyone. Good luck on your journey!:thumbup:

I am 8 days out and back to work. The only issues I am having is that my stomach is bloated and my port site still hurts. I removed two of my bandages and the scars are healing very well. They might end up being very small. I am still taking Extra Strength Tylenol. I still need it. I have been pureeing my food since about 3 or 4 days after surgery. Anything that fits through a straw is what my post op diet said. I hope I haven't been overdoing it. I eat maybe 800 or so calories a day. I haven't dropped any weight even though my caloric intake has been greatly reduced. Does anyone else still have a bloaded stomach with port pain?

Yes my port section is swollen and certainly more tender than the other incisions :cursing:

And the weight started to drop off me in the first 2 days , but now doesnt seem to be moving .

Lots of luck

Sas x

Hi Stephanie. I'm also a new yorker. I was banded on the 16th of this month. I feel pretty doggone good as long as I don't attempt to lay on the right side... which is where they used the tool to move my liver. My surgeon said my liver was nice and healthy looking, so I don't know why. I see him later today. Anyway, I'm in the cooperstown NY area. What about you? (general is ok).

Welcome to the group.

Teri

Hi Terri...Cooperstown...I've always wanted to visit...big baseball fan of course. lol I live on Long Island so it's quite a hike.

Glad to hear you are doing well. I'm 6 days out and feeling pretty well...just the one spot which I guess might be the port site. I'm not sure where it was supposed to be located but its sort of in the middle toward the left. Do you think its the port? I should have asked the Dr. before I left the hospital. I guess I'll find out when I have my appt on 10/9.

i think i may have lost a couple pounds since surgery day which is cool. I think i'm still in shock that I did this...i'm so excited.

I'm new to posting and have no blog and don't know how to make the cool icons everyone has...I guess i"ll learn cuz I want to really get involved. woo hoo!!!

Had my surgey on Monday. I seem to be doing ok. The kept me overnight in the hospital because of severe nausea and the 3 hour trip back home

:cursing:. Hubby drove me home yesterday and I slept all but maybe 2 minutes of the trip LOL! I feel ok today, still some nausea, very tender on the right side. Everything went well the doctor told me and I had the best nurses and docs taking care of me. I have lost 18lbs since September 16th and I can't wait to lose some more(102 to go)

Laura

Surgeon Dr. John Price

St Lukes Hospital in Kansas City MO

tammytx ...I am sorry that I wasn't online Monday but I had to be at the hospital by 5:30 am the next morning for my surgery.

So yes, that means I am now banded. I just got home a few hours ago. I was in super pain at first and was grateful for the meds. Once I finally got comfortable in the bed I started to relax. The pain eased up until today now that I am home. I am sore around the port and have gas pains. I also have a cough that hurts like heck each time I have to do it.

I am excited to say that they weighed me when I checked into the hospital and I lost 19 pounds on my 12 day liquid diet. It was weird though because they weighed me again in the middle of the night after only having an IV in my arm and a few ounces of Water I put on 5 pounds. I will have to pull out my scale and see what the results are after getting back on my liquid diet.

Oh another weird thing... does anyone else have a weird indentiation on their stomach now. They numbered my incisions and my port is #6, but #5 (next to port) is indented. I hope it evens out after it heals!?

weight.png

I did, and still do, but it is slowly un-indenting. (is that a real word?) I do have to say that incision has been my painful one. Not my port incision. My dr said he had to really push on that one.

I love this area. My mom grew up on long island... huntington. She used to love the island, but doesn't think she could handle the traffic at her age.

teri

Slim in TN, I'm from Chattavegas! i've lived in CO for a year... what part of town do you live in..? I used to live in St. Elmo, near downtown... I miss the leaves turning this time of year... sigh... we would always go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge to go see the leaves and the mountains! So pretty right now i bet! :)