Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. First of all I want to thank all of you who have answered my previous questions. As my surgery gets closer (Sept. 12th) I feel much better having had many of my questions and concerns addressed.

I keep reading about gas. Could someone please explain to me how and why gas is put in. Is it always used? Walking and Gas X seem to be the solutions - any other suggestions.

My other question - I take care of my 4 year old granddaughter every day while my daughter and son-in-law work. I am taking a week off to go to Houston for my surgery. I am having my surgery done on Friday and I am supposed to be back to work on Tuesday. Is this totally unrealistic?? I don't have to lift or carry much - but at the same time, she doesn't sit still much. Do you think I should get a sidekick to be there with me, try to find someone to watch her for another day or two, or do you think we will be fine? I'm pretty tough but I don't want to do anything that will slow my recovery down. Thank you in advance for your help!!! Becky

i had my surgery on a tuesday and i had no pain on the next wednesday or thursday. but u should definitley wait to watch her because you shouldnt be running after her

Yes, they always use gas. It helps give them room to maneuver around in there....and protects organs they don't want to operate on from being in the way and getting knicked or something. They do try to remove as much gas as they can before they "close you up" and some have little to no gas pain, some have more. If you walk it dissipates fairly quickly, at least for me it does! It's a good thing.

As to babysitting, I can say that I feel pretty good but still wouldn't want to chase a kiddo around yet. I am moving well but more slowly than usual. You need a full week to get your feet back under you, I'd think. Get some back up planned. It can't hurt. If you feel wonderful that quickly so be it, but it is major surgery and you need to give yourself time to heal and rest.

Are you getting excited yet?

Hello! I had my surgury on Friday Aug. 22nd and I have a 2 year old grandbaby that I am raising. I had help with him until Wed. after my surgury and I did fine. I could have of watched him earlier than Wed. but he sleep with me and I wanted to get my staples out first. I still dont pick him up. Just be careful. I didnt have anyone to help me any longer so if you do then let someone help because you get tried real easy.

Thank you for your replies. I think I am going to get someone to watch her on Tuesday too. My mom can go with me on Wednesday and as long as I need her. She is 80 (although no one ever believes it - she drives, lives alone, and has a better social life than I do.. hehehehehe). I think with a tag team, we can make it. Restless... yes I am getting excited. It is still a ways away but I can't wait. I'm not nervous or scared... just ready!!!! Thanks for your info on the gas.

You will be fine i had my surgery on thursday and my 7 year niece lives with me as well as my 1 year old and 4 year old niece are always here. Warning watch out for elbows and make them climb up as you can lift more the 15 lbs for awhile and keep in mind a gallon of milk is 8 lbs. I had to watch them on saturday for a bit and had no problems. My doctor said no bed rest and to get up and move and so i think they helped me more than hindered and i have had very little trouble with gas just keep walking and do exactly what the doctors says. I am going back to work on Tuesday and not at all worried even if Monday weren't a holiday i would not worry.

Take Care and good luck:thumbup:

Hi - I'm fairly new to the forum and have found out so much helpful information. My surgeon's appointment is Sept 11th - hope my scheculed date won't be too far out. I'm not a spring chicken and need to get this show on the road:)

About the gas, if you are interested to see what they'll be doing to you (I found it VERY interesting) you can see the procedure at Live Lapband Surgery - Kansas on Youtube.

I hope your journey is uneventful and very positive.

Like mentioned already the gas in necessary to inflat your abdomen so they can manevour around your stomach area. In combination with the pre-op diet (not everyone follows) which is designed to reduce the size of your liver, these two things are needed for the surgeon to have a clear view of your stomach and easily slip the band into place. I spoke with my anestegiolist before the surgery and asked about the gas and if walking did anything and he said NO, the gas is deflated at the end of the surgery and any residual gas is gradually absorbed by the body and goes away on its own within a couple of days. I think there is confusion between the two types of gas (I was unclear before too) and the inflated gas is within the body and absorbed on its own and the digetive gas comes with the extreme changes in the post-op diet (liquids, mushies, etc.) and the walking helps with this type of gas only. On the second week when mushies are introduced then I had no more digestive gas. With regards to taking time off, I would take no less than one full week AFTER the surgery, and even then you will have general mobility limitations (ie. bathroom, shower, bending, getting up and down) are the most uncomfortable but can be done slowly. I would limit all activities, even work, for at least a week but if two is an option then you will feel soooo much better at that point. It's been two weeks today for me and I am moving better, incisions healed, back to normal, sleeping better, no gas, etc. Good luck!