Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got 'stuck' yesterday, now nothing will go down, need urgent advice pls!

Hi

im 2 months post op,all's been going ok up until now.

I get food stuck from time to time but after the usual pain, PBing, and sliming etc it eventually passes and things return to normal, except for yesterday. Some food got stuck at lunchtime and it was a much longer more painful bout than I've experienced before. I was in too much residual discomfort to even think about eating anything else yesterday so only had a drink. Anyway, today I felt fine when i woke up until I went to have my porridge at Breakfast...one teaspoon and then the pain started so I chucked it all away. At lunchtime I thought I'd try a bit of yogurt ( more liquidy) I had a few teaspoons and was in agony. Eventually after 30 mins of pain, Pbing, sliming etc I threw it up.

What is going on? I am really worried something bad has permanently happened to damage my band since nothing will go down now. I'm worrying about the vomiting, will that have caused a slip? And I'm worrying I'm going to need another op to sort out the problem . has anyone experienced this?

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who's had the same thing happen to them.

thanks guys

Julia

I would stimulate my gag reflex just to make sure you have everything up out of your stomach that you can get out. Then I would just not eat for a day or two. Just drink Protein Shakes until the swelling goes down inside. You can drink can't you? If you can't drink then you will have to get medical attention. But if you can drink, just do the Protein shakes for a couple of days and I think things will probably calm down. Good luck.

It is probably also swollen. I would stick to Clear Liquids (jello, broth, popsicles) for the rest of today, then tomorrow start with the loosest full liquids (like a Protein Shake, but not blended with ice) and proceed from there. If it isn't mostly resolved by Tuesday morning, I would place a call to your surgeon's nurse. Let us know how you're doing.

Please make sure to contact your MD in the midst of all that is going on. We all can tell you about our experiences but at the end of the day, your surgeon should always be aware of problems that will unfortunately arise. Take care and hope you feel better soon!

i'm 4 and a bit weeks post-op and was daft enough to have half a slice of toast with scrambled egg this morning !! caused alot of pain and ended up being sick- got to wait another 4 weeks for my first fill

I have had a similar problem before with one pb episode. I had to go on liquids for two days before I was able to progress to mushies and was eventually normal again. I also found that hot/warm liquids were more soothing for me.

Just keep in mind that no matter how irritated you are, liquids wont cause any additional harm. However, if you can not get liquids down, call your surgeons office right away.

Someone mentioned stimulating your gag reflex, I would not suggest that. Your stomach is already very irritated, this will just make it worse.

If you think you still have something inside that might be blocking your stoma, some people have mentioned drinking some pineapple juice. There are other things mentioned but I am not sure of them all, they will be in other threads on clearing blockages. However, most likely I think you might have some swelling and irritation.

can u tell me how i get my weight loss ticker thing shown on all my messages like urs is ??? x claire

You add the URL for your ticker to your signature under edit profile. On the left side there is one that says edit signature. You add it to the signature block. Click on preview signature to make sure you put in the url correctly. I think it has to be in BBcode to work.

Hi

I get food stuck from time to time but after the usual pain, PBing, and sliming etc it eventually passes and things return to normal, except for yesterday. Some food got stuck at lunchtime and it was a much longer more painful bout than I've experienced before. I was in too much residual discomfort to even think about eating anything else yesterday so only had a drink. Anyway, today I felt fine when i woke up until I went to have my porridge at Breakfast...one teaspoon and then the pain started so I chucked it all away. At lunchtime I thought I'd try a bit of yogurt ( more liquidy) I had a few teaspoons and was in agony. Eventually after 30 mins of pain, Pbing, sliming etc I threw it up.

What is going on? I am really worried something bad has permanently happened to damage my band since nothing will go down now. I'm worrying about the vomiting, will that have caused a slip? And I'm worrying I'm going to need another op to sort out the problem . has anyone experienced this?

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who's had the same thing happen to them.

thanks guys

Julia

I had my surgery on 7/7/08 so we are about the same time out(or with band in). I had the same horrible, painful thing happen to me recently and had to have strict liquids for two days after. When I called my DR office after it first happened, he told me to stay on liquids and treat myself like I had just had a fill for a few days and I would be fine. He told me NOT to make myself try to throw up!! So don't do that.He was right and I was fine after a couple days. Let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Barb12590

I got hold of my doc who said exactly what you've all been saying...strict liquid for several days. He also said if liquid wont go down then to get an unfill urgently but I'm ok with thin Fluid. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Julia

You might be too tight, but frankly I just have days like that. It also depends on WHAT I eat. Anything with flour, anything chicken, fibrous, potatoes, etc. When I have had a bad day, I usually stick with liquids the next and it's usually okay. I think someone mentioed the gag reflex. Once it gets irritate, sometimes it takes awhile to calm down. But, the main thing is to watch WHAT sets off the chucking and also be sure you are really mashing things up in your mouth. Also, this might sound dumb, but I have noticed the way I sit has something to do with it also. I went into a restaurant the other day (2nd time there and both times got sick) and I realized I was sitting at a "funny" angle. If you are really worried, though..talk to your doctor, that is what they are there for. D.

(banded Feb 18, 2008..lost 105 pounds to date) :smile:

Hi

I get food stuck from time to time but after the usual pain, PBing, and sliming etc it eventually passes and things return to normal, except for yesterday. Some food got stuck at lunchtime and it was a much longer more painful bout than I've experienced before. I was in too much residual discomfort to even think about eating anything else yesterday so only had a drink. Anyway, today I felt fine when i woke up until I went to have my porridge at breakfast...one teaspoon and then the pain started so I chucked it all away. At lunchtime I thought I'd try a bit of yogurt ( more liquidy) I had a few teaspoons and was in agony. Eventually after 30 mins of pain, Pbing, sliming etc I threw it up.

thanks guys

Julia

I cant believe it, it's gone! I can eat again! :thumbup: the foods going down ok now, oh what joy!!! I couldnt eat for 3 days and then all of a sudden it went. Crikey, something must have been well and truly stuck down there. Anyway panic over, I'm off to have my porridge for breakfast!

Thanks again everyone for replying to my original post. very grateful to you all.

Julia