Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the longest you've been STUCK?

I get stuck every day - but my food tends to work its way down eventually, rather than coming back up. It is very painful and uncomfortable - I would rather it come up and be over with!

What I need to know is how long can it last? Just like in labor - if I had an idea of how long I had to "hang on" I could make it. I sit at work wondering if I should go home for the day or if it could never be more than 10 minutes! What is longest period of time anyone has had something stuck?

You really shouldn't be getting stuck every day. Have you talked to your doctor about this? You may need a little bit of an unfill. I've never been stuck for more than 15-20 minutes. My doctor says if it goes on for more than 30 minutes to call. If you are really stuck, the doctor can let the Fluid out of your band and whatever is stuck should pass right through. Chewing papaya tablets can help too.

I am very bad...I guess I've been stuck for a half hour or more at times, but I will usually make myself throw up cause I can't handle the pain in my chest. Wrong I know, but I have been doing pretty well not having to get to that point lately!

Hello

I am like you I got a fill in Feb 08 and I had so much trouble getting food down. In the morning I could sip a cup of coffee no cream, lunch a can of v8, dinner some Soup or mashed potatoes, when I went out to eat with friends and family I never ordered because I could eat one bite of my husbands meal and be stuck. I would go throw up in the bathroom if I did eat much because of the pain. I went to the doctor finally yesterday and they said that I was to tight and this can cause problems, first of all you cannot live that way. I have lots of weight to still lose. I am at 219 I started at 340. Since Feb fill I had lost 50 pounds. I did not want to have any fill taken out I wanted to loose more weight, but, I was not getting any protien, I was eating candy fine, ice cream ok if it did not have nuts or anything in it. My band had been filled to 3 so she took it down to 2.5, I would have prefered her taking it down to 2.8 but she said so long without nutrion she wanted to make sure I was eating real food and not just pureed food. It is morning now and I am drinking v8 with no problem, last night I could eat, so I am a little concered that all the hunger will come back. I will not wait long to have a little fill put back in if this happens. I do like the feeling of not having pain when I eat something though. I am still learning and I have had this band for well over a year. I am learning how to work it. Do not let food get stuck that long, you can cause yourself problems. Just call the doctor and talk with them. Good luck:thumbup:

Be careful how much you are spitting everything back up. I had a time where my band became completely swollen shut because of it. I didn't have anything to eat or drink for 36 hours. By the time my mom got me to the doctor, I was so out of it. The uncomfortable feeling when the food is pushing through the band is normal. Your body is supposed to get used to it. If it bothers you that much, just be more convince to how much you are chewing your food. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

i got stuck SO BAD the other day i thought i was DYING! i had never slimed or anything like that until that day, i didnt even know what sliming was til then! :scared2:YUCK- anyway, i broke rule #1 cuz it was SO PAINFUL- i drank some Water to wash it down! just remember CHEW, CHEW, & CHEW some more!!!:thumbup:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People....this is NOT GOOD. You SHOULD NOT even be getting stuck once a week, much less every day. You have the potential to really screw up yourself AND your band.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, THE BAND DOES WORK!!! Some people lose very slowly, others quiet fast. It doesn't matter...this is the REST OF YOUR LIFE we're talking about. If it takes 3 years, it really doesn't matter.

Do NOT end up with a slip or a tear or erosion as a result of too much PB'ing! It's just not worth it. I mean....if anyone can even imagine what Hollie was going through during the 36 hours her stomach was so swollen, you will understand. Or check out many of the bandsters here on this forum who said "I knew I was a little tight, but wanted to keep losing." See how they enjoyed their revision surgery--more money, more time off work, more anesthesia, more pain, more "shoulda, coulda, wouldas." Get some Fluid taken out of your band, and take it easy.

I was banded in late March of 08. I have been following the band rules for the most part and have had no troubles - except for a long plateau of no weight loss/gain for 8 weeks. I had my 4th fill (my doctor is very conservative with the fills) earlier last week. On Friday, I had some broccoli steamed in the microwave at work (with some stem attached). I ate it while at my desk working without cutting it up, and ate too big pieces and too fast. The reaction was swift and scary. For one full hour I was in utter agony. The food wouldn't go up or down - sweat dripping down my face - if I hadn't known what what happening (thanks to this site) I would have thought I was having a heart attack. I threw up 5 times and slimed too. I immediately called my docs office and spoke with a nurse. I was told to go onto Clear Liquids, and progress to mushies & then solids like after surgery. I recovered well and am now well versed on WHAT NOT TO DO TO AVOID THAT SITUATION EVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN! I believe that I have learned the true meaning of what the band is capable of doing and will treat it and myself with much more respect and mindfulness in the future!

I have never been stuck for any longer than 10 minutes at the most. Usually if it's a really bad stick, it comes shooting back up and out within 3 minutes. Tiny sticks that are just a bit uncomfortable usually pass through within 5 minutes. I used to PB way too much - sometimes 3-4 times on a really bad day. Now since my last fill and strict talking-to from my surgeon, I've only gotten some mild sticking this week but not one PB. I think I'm finally understanding my body and this band and how they work together. My bites are like the size of corn kernels now...I mince most of my food, but at least i'm not harming myself anymore.

WHAT is going on ? Those of you who get stuck so often ? WHY ? NOAHSMOM, if your getting stuck everyday your either A. not following the rules , or B. your too tight. ETIEHR WAY you need to fix it before you LOSE YOUR BAND ! I spoke to my doc about this a while ago and he told me EVERYTIME you PB its the same as throwing up ,your causing the same amoutn of damage to your band if you PB as if you threw up .

FORCING yourself to throw up ... NOT GOOD .

I understand some times we do things and cant help it, I do it too.

But if your STAYING Stuck and FORCING yourself to throw up . Your gonna lose your band ! There is NO REASON to keep yourself that tight, and that's the only reason to be tight , peopel do that to get the weight off. LOTS Of good your weight coming off it gonna do when you have no BAND ~~ PLEASE be careful ya'll and stop doing this to yourself ~ There is no reason for it.

Mindy

I'm exactly like you, I get stuck and have to wait for it to work its way down because it wont come back up. I'm positive this is why I dont PB much in comparison to others - its becuase others PB easily and not because I"m such a perfect bandster that I never make mistakes.

I've been stuck for an hour once, till I finally PB'd spectacularly. Usually it can last 20 minutes to half an hour, although if it goes that long, its usually followed by a PB. But I've never ever eaten something, thought Oh, that's not quite right and pbd it back up. Its always a long drawn out affair.

If something gets stuck, most of the time it 'bounces' back up and I can spit it out (within 3 minutes).

The times it gets stuck-stuck, when I stand up to run to the bathroom, normally just the standing up and moving wiggles it down for me. Sometimes liquids can help wash it down--other times it makes it a million times worse.

I have never had anything stuck for longer than 10 minutes (I end up PBing it before then).. but I have had stuff sit in my pouch for up to 12 hours.

Just an FYI , NORMALLY if your stuck its NOT a good idea to drink liquids. The ONE time i tried that I SERIOUSLY Thought i was going to die , I am not kidding either, I felt like i was suffocating, My husband was about to call 911 too ! If your truly stuck , Water is not going to help and it will make things MUCH MUCH worse.

So not usually a good idea !

Mindy

Mine's iffy, its a weird feeling to try to explain, but sometimes I can tell liquid is going to make it worse-- and it does make it horrible. But sometimes liquid will make it wash through. I wouldn't be able to say the difference, just the feeling in my chest is different.

I have only been stuck a few times. I have only had my band for 4 months tho. If something sticks it's only for a few minutes... I feel it getting slimy then it goes down... so gross.