Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help..I'm banded, but I've lost my motivation completely

Hey everyone..it's been so long since I've been on this site, and I've decided that it's time to reach out to my fellow bandsters to give me a swift kick in the butt.

I was banded October 31, 2007, and have since lost about 26 pounds (I'm 5'4''; Start: 218 lbs/Now: 191.2 lbs). I saw my surgeon in April, and he was very happy with my progress. I was so motivated and AWESOME with watching my weight and following my surgeon's diet and exercise program for me until the beginning of summer...

Since early May, I've completely stopped following the lap-band diet. My eating habits have gone back to what they used to be in my worst days- Cookies, cakes, Pasta, etc, etc. For some strange reason, I've managed to maintain my weight through eating all of this crap. I told myself I'd start back when the first week of school started (last week), but of course, it didn't happen.

I'm honestly sickened with myself. I feel terrible because I understand how fortunate I am to have the band, but for some reason, I keep screwing up. I don't have that motivation that I had when I got my final fill. I need to get back on track because this is my only hope for a healthy future.

Please offer suggestions to me on how to get back on track after going off the handle. What motivates you to stick w/your program every day? Support is always the first step, and I only feel comfortable talking about this with you all. Thank you!! :biggrin:

-Kara

What motivates you to stick w/your program every day?

I come here daily. Thats a big motivator. It helps keep me focused. Also I keep a food journal (I use thedailyplate.com) they say people that log their food consumption loose 50% more weight than those who don't. I really hate to food journal, but it makes all the difference.

Hey everyone..it's been so long since I've been on this site, and I've decided that it's time to reach out to my fellow bandsters to give me a swift kick in the butt.

I was banded October 31, 2007, and have since lost about 26 pounds (I'm 5'4''; Start: 218 lbs/Now: 191.2 lbs). I saw my surgeon in April, and he was very happy with my progress. I was so motivated and AWESOME with watching my weight and following my surgeon's diet and exercise program for me until the beginning of summer...

Since early May, I've completely stopped following the lap-band diet. My eating habits have gone back to what they used to be in my worst days- Cookies, cakes, Pasta, etc, etc. For some strange reason, I've managed to maintain my weight through eating all of this crap. I told myself I'd start back when the first week of school started (last week), but of course, it didn't happen.

I'm honestly sickened with myself. I feel terrible because I understand how fortunate I am to have the band, but for some reason, I keep screwing up. I don't have that motivation that I had when I got my final fill. I need to get back on track because this is my only hope for a healthy future.

Please offer suggestions to me on how to get back on track after going off the handle. What motivates you to stick w/your program every day? Support is always the first step, and I only feel comfortable talking about this with you all. Thank you!! :biggrin:

-Kara

Please don't give up! With the band you can start over.I was banded on Feb.18 2008 I have lost 60 lbI am not bragging.I to have gone back to old eating habits.Ice Cream has been my problem.It started in the beginning when I got some food stuck! My sweet husband felt sorry for me and got me some ice cream.Well that was a mistake I have a lot of days when food doesn't want to stay down so I eat ice cream and I have no problem with it. I would have lost more buynow if it wasn't for ice cream.Just writing the words make me want some. This is what I am doing to keep me on track.I am wearing 16 jeans I brought a pair of 14 jeans so that I want to get in the 14 by fall I have to leave off ice cream.Remenber nothing.nothing taste as good as slim feels!!!!! If you are not walking start I have to to lose weight.I walk 3 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week.Also drink a lot of Water you know the rules.By the way I am 57 years old 5'2"I weighted 237at surgery .I now am at 177. let me hear from you you can do it!

Kara - you can do this. First thing - what is your level of restriction? If you can eat really large quantities, it is time for a fill, which will give you some external control. Don't worry about what your dr is going to say - they see this all the time :biggrin:

Second, I totally agree with the poster who said to log everything you eat - even if you don't count the calories. By writing it down (including quantities) you are forcing yourself to make a conscious choice of what you are eating - I know for me, if I have to face up to it, I can often make a better choice (please note that I did not say make a choice not to eat - I understand that that isn't realistic).

Third, recognize and make a plan for your trouble times. I have tremendous head hunger in the evenings, so I make sure that I plan to have at least one or two Snacks in the evening. I try to stick to around 100 calories, but I eat things that will satisfy my urge to snack (vegetables in no way satisfy that urge :smile:). Favorites of mine: 100 calorie microwave popcorn, no sugar added pudding, 2 sticks of turkey pepperoni (about 90-100 calories), chocolate vitamuffin (2 oz of chocolate heaven - high fibre - 100 calories). I also plan activities and things to do that will distract me (this web forum is a godsend)!

Fourth - make a plan to get active. It doesn't matter what you do - just do it - try to work up to 30-60 minutes a day, 3-5 times per week. Research is showing (along with food journalling), that those that incorporate exercise are far more successful in losing weight.

Fifth - don't make this about a diet - make it a lifestyle choice. I eat the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life so I eat all food groups, including carbohydrates, chocolate, Cookies and pizza. I don't eat lots of the last three, but I do eat them - but in moderate quantities. I buy Hershey's individually wrapped extra dark chocolate pieces (only 40 calories a piece), put them in the freezer and pull out 2 pieces when I really want chocolate (don't ask me why, but those dark chocolate wafers taste better frozen).

Tomorrow is a new day. You can always start fresh. Heck you can start fresh after every meal :thumbup:. You know inside what you need to do, now you need to make a committment to doing it.

Jacquie

post-224320-1381313750341_thumb.jpg

post-224320-13813137503783_thumb.jpg

Hey sweetie, I agree that you should get another fill to motivate you. It sounds like you can eat too much at this point. You said your final fill--according to who? Did your doctor say this was your final fill or doesn't your band hold anymore. Keep reading these threads as many people have your similar problem. I think we all deal with the problem of using will power balanced with band power. When you stall with weight loss it seems like its time for a doctor visit. He wants you to succeed too.

Set a goal for yourself a small one.. a very attainable one to start off

Log all food at daily plate

Get moving. Try exercising even if its only 15 minutes a day

have a Water bottle with you all the time

Good luck. I have struggled too. I have managed to lose 45 pounds since 4/23 and have fell off the wagon more than once. You'll be fine. Just work on going back to bandster rules.

I feel you :) I am post of for 5 weeks and I have not lost any weight in 3 of those weeks :) I just am so depressed really. Its hard.. I cant stay motivated when the scale is not moving. But I get my first fill next week :) So I am hoping that will help :w00t:.... Now as for you... try not to be hard on yourself and try to clean out your cabnits of junk food. Try to start exercising and logging your food intate so you will know what your taking in. Maybe start a blog this is what I did it really helps... what I do is share one with my cousin shes dieting to loose weight then it helps us motivate each other. Try something like that. :tt2:

I'm so fortunate to have people like you all on this site to still give me hope and motivation! After reading the replies, I already feel that boost of energy to just go on and do it. Thank you so much...what would I do without you all?

I have a 10 cc band and I've been filled to 9.5 cc. My surgeon wasn't too keen on filling me even to 9.5 cc because he said that the hole being created by the lap band was almost closed completely. I definitely feel restricted, but even when I eat Protein (chicken, steak, sausages- all lean!), I can most definitely eat more than 2-3 ounces. I can probably eat about 5 ounces of Protein and then even eat around 2-3 ounces of fruit or veggies or carbs along with it. My food intake has lessened significantly, but my surgeon and others in the WLS office have told me that I shouldn't be able to eat more than 4 ounces of food, tops!

Am I doing something wrong maybe? I don't drink with my meals or 30-45 minutes after them, and I start with the protein on my plate and make sure to chew it pretty well before swallowing. Maybe I'm eating too fast....I thought about that the other day.

By the way, my surgeon is SO mean. I'm terrified of him. Don't get me wrong..he's one of the best surgeon's in the Southeast (he's incredible) and that's why I chose him to perform my surgery. I'm scared to go in and tell him that I might need another fill. I know that sounds ridiculous, but the thought of him weighing me and seeing no progress is making me nervous already. Phew...

Hi Kara,

This is such a coincidence! I'm in the same boat. I was just trying to search for others that were banded in October. I was banded on 10/23/07 and am down 52 pounds / 60% but I'm hitting a brick wall. I just don't feel the drive and motivation that I did in the beginning. I can't quite put my finger on what my problem is. Up until two weeks ago, I was plugging along. Eating decent and doing cardio for an hour everyday. Maybe we can help each other get back on the horse and just need some additional support. For tomorrow, I am committing to staying away from sugar. Let me know how I can support you.

All the best,

Aimee

Kara - you can do this. First thing - what is your level of restriction? If you can eat really large quantities, it is time for a fill, which will give you some external control. Don't worry about what your dr is going to say - they see this all the time :thumbup:

Second, I totally agree with the poster who said to log everything you eat - even if you don't count the calories. By writing it down (including quantities) you are forcing yourself to make a conscious choice of what you are eating - I know for me, if I have to face up to it, I can often make a better choice (please note that I did not say make a choice not to eat - I understand that that isn't realistic).

Third, recognize and make a plan for your trouble times. I have tremendous head hunger in the evenings, so I make sure that I plan to have at least one or two Snacks in the evening. I try to stick to around 100 calories, but I eat things that will satisfy my urge to snack (vegetables in no way satisfy that urge :cool2:). Favorites of mine: 100 calorie microwave popcorn, no sugar added pudding, 2 sticks of turkey pepperoni (about 90-100 calories), chocolate vitamuffin (2 oz of chocolate heaven - high fibre - 100 calories). I also plan activities and things to do that will distract me (this web forum is a godsend)!

Fourth - make a plan to get active. It doesn't matter what you do - just do it - try to work up to 30-60 minutes a day, 3-5 times per week. Research is showing (along with food journalling), that those that incorporate exercise are far more successful in losing weight.

Fifth - don't make this about a diet - make it a lifestyle choice. I eat the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life so I eat all food groups, including carbohydrates, chocolate, Cookies and pizza. I don't eat lots of the last three, but I do eat them - but in moderate quantities. I buy Hershey's individually wrapped extra dark chocolate pieces (only 40 calories a piece), put them in the freezer and pull out 2 pieces when I really want chocolate (don't ask me why, but those dark chocolate wafers taste better frozen).

Tomorrow is a new day. You can always start fresh. Heck you can start fresh after every meal :w00t:. You know inside what you need to do, now you need to make a committment to doing it.

Jacquie

Jacquie, you look MARVELOUS! That should motivate all of us! :laugh:!

Kara! Good for you! It takes a big commitment to come in and say you are struggling. It means that you are willing to make a change. That is absolutely HUGE!

You have been given some great advice. The only thing I would like to add is to take it slow. Make one change. Whatever you think it should be. Make it a priority and work that change until it is no longer work. That may only take a week, it might take longer. But, take it as a complete change, not a "for a little while" thing. If you try to do it all at once, I think it can get overwhelming. Make one small change. Work it until you can add another in.

You can do this! Come back and tell us how it's going. Don't give up!

Hey everyone! Thanks for even MORE advice :-) I've decided to take it one step at a time, and focus on the positive. I'm actually pretty proud of myself-- tonight, my sisters went to get take outs at Panda Express and asked me if I wanted anything. As tempting as it was, I decided to make the right decision and stick with a side of Mixed Veggies (only 90 calories)! They're on their way back, and I figured that while they eat their Chinese food, I can still enjoy some yummy veggies and not feel so left out! Sure, it's probably not as delish as Orange chicken, but I know how awesome I'll feel later just knowing I made the smarter choice.

Aimee, so sorry it took this long to get back to you. I'd LOVE for us to support each other in order to keep ourselves going!! I could definitely go for a lap-band buddy to go through this with me :-)