Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?ctober ?dyssey 2008

Hi guys! I got banded 10 days ago. I'm doing very well, and have lost a lot of weight in just a week and a half. However, I caved today. I'm supposed to be on a soft, high Protein, low carbs, low sugar diet, and I completely fell off the wagon. I ate almost a whole packet of maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal for breakfast, huevos rancheros (minus the tortilla) for lunch, 3 bite size milky ways, 2/3 of a corn dog for dinner, and Tomato Soup with cheese crackers for my second dinner...and I still want to eat!!! I don't know what to do! I'm worried that I'm going to stretch my pouch and mess the whole thing up! Please help! BTW, I am supposed to eat 6 times a day, but it's supposed to be soft food and no more than 4 oz.

What's a body slimmer? You mean like gurdle type things?
Is that why they always have the girls change from weighing in sports bras to weighing in tight tank tops? Is that like a compression stocking for the whole body?

Yeah, to hold everything in. You can even find some informercials now too.

I am hungry, but the thought of eating anything about makes me puke.

I finally broke down and bought some liquid protien. 42g in 3 ounces. I had to. I couldn't get enough in. I can't even drink enough. I'm trying. I got over 60 gms of Protein in with that. I bought six to last me about the next week. I am supposed to be able to start transitioning to soft food the day after tomorrow but I have decided to try some egg beaters tomorrow. A day early, but I want to try. I just cant get enough calories or protein down. I can't imagine being on just liquids for more than a week. I feel for you guys that are on it for a month!

Bobina:

Have you tried keeping track of your meals on a website. Several people have mentioned different ones. I like sparkpeople.com. If I kept my protien high I didn't really have any hunger.

I plan on trying to follow the bansters guidelines as much as I can after I can eat real food again.

• Eat your lean Protein first and slow. (bandsters portions)
  • Follow with veggies
  • Protein drink between each meal.
  • No bread, potatoes, Pasta or rice. This keeps the glycemic index low and helps cut the cravings.

I know this is aiming high and it is easier said than done. That was basically my pre-op diet. I am going to try to stick with it until my first fill on November 25th.

I hope that helps.

Bobina:

Have you tried keeping track of your meals on a website. Several people have mentioned different ones. I like sparkpeople.com. If I kept my protien high I didn't really have any hunger.

I plan on trying to follow the bansters guidelines as much as I can after I can eat real food again.

• Eat your lean Protein first and slow. (bandsters portions)
  • Follow with veggies
  • Protein drink between each meal.
  • No bread, potatoes, Pasta or rice. This keeps the glycemic index low and helps cut the cravings.

I know this is aiming high and it is easier said than done. That was basically my pre-op diet. I am going to try to stick with it until my first fill on November 25th.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll look into that :tongue:

hello penny thats great about yr momon south beach,i remeber i saw on tv that 1000 pd man he is on that diet.saw he got married,each day i go alittle bit more walking,now i feel like i have to go and thats a good thing,gl keep in tiuch ok

Are you aware they aren't bandster guidelines? There are no "guidelines" as such in Australia, simply eat a variety of foods and make it healthy. Absolutely no order to eat them in either. Must be American guidelines.

The last thing my Bariatric coordinator said to me was....

"PROTEIN, Protein, PROTEIN"

She said "If you are hungry, drink another protein drink."

Now, am I following that advice? No. I am just not eating like Julie.

I just can't bring myself to do it.

I had my post-op appointment with my Doctor yesterday. I told him I was starving to death. He said I could try thicker things. He said oatmeal and applesauce, but I heard eggs and cottage cheese!

Those "guidelines" are just what I have gotten from others that have been successfully banded. I actually added in the No bread, Pasta, Rice or potatoes. That is because I was told to keep those low and you have to be careful with bread and pasta because they can get Gummy and form a ball in your pouch and can give you problems. I have also joined a yahoo group called smart bandsters. I am not really active there, but I lurk and try to learn as much as I can from them. There are some really great sources there. One is a Nurse Practitioner that has had been banded for many years and works with banded patients. She even has a book that has a lot of good information for those that are looking into gastric band surgery. There are alot of successful bandsters on there.

I was just trying to help, not put anything down in concrete. Sorry if you took it that way. :lol:

I'm starving too. I was banded 10-03-08 and I am losing, but I get hungry about 2 hours after I eat. I don't really feel any restriction like I did after surgery. I had my first fill last week and I can't tell the difference. I have an appointment Thursday for another one. I am losing weight, but I am very hungry. I know everyone is different, but how many fills does it take to get good restriction?

Lone Star Loser:tongue2:

weight.png

I'm in the same boat Lone, I get hungry now, when before I didn't. Nothing so terrible that I'm starving but it's difficult. I get my first fill Nov 12 hope that helps.

It is great to log in and see that our October Odyssey Team Members are doing sooooo well! Hanging in and doing what needs to be done to be healthy!

Best of Luck to all!!

I have read a lot of people say 3 times.

At this point I'll settle for any improvement. My first fill is tomorrow.

At least I know I'm not alone with the problem. I've started keeping a food journal on sparkpeople - it seems to help me to see what I'm eating down in writing.

I'm so excited! I get to have a fill before Thanksgiving! The other docs in the group wait six weeks...the one I went to does a fill in FOUR weeks! Yay!

I also got to up my diet today so I made baked tilapia and baked Beans for dinner and it was SO good! I am trying not to drink with the meals but in between. I had 4 oz of tilapia and 1/2 cup of baked beans. My dh was just glad I cooked something! :smile2:

It really helps me to keep track of diet and exercise online.

~~anne