Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?ctober ?dyssey 2008

So there is the big question....

Have you decided to get the Realize band or the Lap band.

What made you decide?

I didn't decide - my doctor told me I was getting a Realize band.

My surgeon prefers the Allergan band, so that's what I'm getting. I'm fine with whichever he prefers.

I'm on for Thursday, and starting to get impatient.

So there is the big question....

Have you decided to get the Realize band or the Lap band.

What made you decide?

I didn't decide - my doctor told me I was getting a Realize band.
My surgeon prefers the Allergan band, so that's what I'm getting. I'm fine with whichever he prefers.

I'm on for Thursday, and starting to get impatient.

Hey everyone! I had surgery last Thursday and my surgeon lets his patients choose. When I asked which one he recommended, he just said that in his opinion if there were one band better than the other, then everyone would only use that band. They are both basically the same, the only difference is that the Lap-band comes in 2 different sizes (he said it is mostly men that receive the larger band just because of the size of their stomach). He also said the Lap-Band people are working on a cool website like Realize as well as the Realize people are working on making a larger size band. I think it is good there are two companies battling for us to pick their product; it makes them work harder and make big improvements faster.

I personally chose the Realize band because of the port and their cool website. :)

Good luck in whatever you chose! :tongue2:

Edited by Bratty_Nicole

Hi

Can i please join?

I was banded on the 2nd October in Belgium but i live in the UK. So far i have lost 7 pounds and am really pleased. I didnt find the surgery too painful and have already stopped taking pain killers.

I hope everyone else has as good an experience as i have!

Hi Carrie!! WELCOME!!! We are band Sisters! :) Glad to hear everything has gone good for you. Did you get the Lap-Band, or Realize Band? I got the Realize band and my port is still pretty tender, so I am still on meds. I have stopped taking as much as they prescribed, but I still take just enough to take the edge off. :tongue2:

Isn't it funny that you can't ACTUALLY feel the band inside, that is one thing I was absolutely sure of, that I would be able to feel it. The only weird thing is that when I drink liquids sometimes I feel what I think would be restriction (since I am sure my belly is still pretty swollen). Weirdness!

Well, anyway, congratulations and welcome! This is a great board! :)

I noticed that Froggi began a spreadsheet for the November folks. I started one for the Smashing Pumpkins (October bandsters) if anyone is interested.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=petavzmGwmyXDmfW_fiKTYQ&hl=en

If you send me your email address, I'll give you edit permissions. :-)

My e-mail address is nicolet8200@comcast.net. Sorry to sound like an idiot, but what is the spreadsheet for exactly? :tt2:

To track ourselves against others. Plus I'm an excel freak!

We don't have to; it's just an idea!

Edited by SickNTired

Hi Nicole

I have a Helioscopie band which is used alot in europe but i dont think its used in the US. Its pretty similar to the lap band used in the US but slightly smaller i think. Before i had the op my surgeon showed me all the different types of bands and said that he usually fits whichever one he thinks suits people best depending on their starting weight and stomach size etc so i said he could use whatever one he wanted! The pain is ok its only the stage between lying and sitting that makes me catch my breath a bit.. no i cant feel the band but i think i can feel restriction, not sure if it is restrication or the air still trapped in my stomach! I think it will take a while to relaise what all the signs are :tt2:

I am staying overnight yes, but I have no idea WHEN the surgery is, also I need to ring the anaesthetist to figure out when and how to pay him/her - so I plan to ring the hospital tomorrow and ask them when the surgery time is - I assume they should know since it's .. YIKES! it's next week !!! woah .. that is scary ... but I lost 4 kilos on Optisfast so far so I'm going well I think?

I like using this weight loss ticker but am I missing something about it updating? I go to the ticker website and change it with my new info and then edit my profile to update it. I would have thought with it having a url it would update automagically .. or maybe it does and I post before I update

can you tell I am not awake yet ? haha

I have a question -

I just took a Colace 100mg. I am on Clear Liquids all day tommorrow & surgery is scheduled for 8:30am Tuesday morning. I've finished packing and we are set to drive out to Michigan in the morning. I'm sitting down re-reading my paperwork and its telling me no advil, and other stuff. Doesn't mention colace... but is this a deal breaker before surgery?

Please tell me if I need to tell my surgeon I took these - or do you think I'll be okay 24 hrs away? What was I thinking?

To track ourselves against others. Plus I'm an excel freak!

We don't have to; it's just an idea!

I like the idea of a spreadsheet - I track everything on excel. Count me in!

I have a question -

I just took a Colace 100mg. I am on clear liquids all day tommorrow & surgery is scheduled for 8:30am Tuesday morning. I've finished packing and we are set to drive out to Michigan in the morning. I'm sitting down re-reading my paperwork and its telling me no advil, and other stuff. Doesn't mention colace... but is this a deal breaker before surgery?

Please tell me if I need to tell my surgeon I took these - or do you think I'll be okay 24 hrs away? What was I thinking?

Colace is just a stool softner. I wouldn't worry about it. They should ask before surgery what meds you have taken since midnight. I can't imagine it would make a difference, but if you are worried let them know.

Thank you for this response.