Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any October Bandsters!??!?!

I survived my first day back at my apartment yesterday, I had been staying at a hotel with my mom right after surgery to help give me a break from my animals. Within an hour of being home yesterday my black and white cat managed to get ahold of a bag and get it wrapped around his neck and was running thru the house, and it took me forever to get ahold of him to get it off him especially since he went under my bed and my roommate was at work and couldnt help. I havent been feeling too bad, I have gas pains occasionally and I am trying to get up and walk around as much as I can as well. I have only been taking the pain medicine at night to help me get comfortable enough to sleep. I am on full liquids for a week, then pureed/bleneded food for a week then 2 weeks of soft foods and then back to regular food. Overally I have been doing alright, I just have to keep the cats from climbing on me like they are used to doing.

My only disappointment was that I actually gained weight at the hospital. Of course I was only eating broth and Jello but they pumped me with so many IV's as well as the air they used during surgery. I have lost all that now plus a small amount more. I will see what tomorrow brings but I expect a couple pound drop because I was very active this weekend and feel certain I got rid of all the extra fluids.

BTW...during my surgery they discovered a hiatal hernia which they repaired. That did not seem to influence recovery at all. I am doing very well.

Don't worry is you do not lose at first. It may be a good idea not to weigh for a week after surgery but I know it is one of the first things you want to do, at least it was for me.

I too have a hernia repaired but it wasn't mentioned in my surgical notes but the PA told me about it when she came to see me the next morning. I also have a copy of the notes sent to my house. When I had my 7 day visit with Dr. Rehnke, he didn't mention about the hernia but pulled the steri strips off as he told me that I could start to eat puddings. I said well it's just been 8 days, he said, well try it. I did but still have gas in my vagus nerve in my shoulder. I'm going to google and find out what that is and why.

Mary

I had some bean and bacon Soup last night, too.

And Lord knows I have the strictest post-op diet on here!

I just pureed the hell out of it and added an extra Water. Was just like cream soup if you ask me. I sipped it all night long. Took me the whole evening to drink about 10 oz. I used one of those hand held Campbell soup containers.

It's going to take some getting use to the amount of left overs in the fridge! A pot of soup could last a LIFETIME! Who knew?!

By the way if you reuse those (and it says not to on the container) they get REALLY HOT in the microwave. Be Careful if you are using the Unjury powder. You can't add it to anything over 130 degrees. I have been using a little meat thermometer to measure the temperature of all my liquids.

Oh and my incisions are closed with the glue too. They look really good. And showering has not bothered them at all.

First off...Congratulations TymeToGetRyte...Welcome back! I had no idea you could ask for your surgery on DVD. I watched a surgery on youtube the day after my surgery. Sure glad I didn't watch it before hand! :tongue:

Per my Dr's order's I was allowed to have pureed foods three to four days after surgery if I was tolerating liquids OK. I never felt nauseous so I went to pureed foods on the fourth day. I just put everything in the blended and hit the button.

The pureed bean soup was great after I doctored it like Ronda did...:mellow:

Do any of your Doctor's have a website that you can go to? Hopefully they do and you can get alot of questions answered. My Doctor has a wonderful website and list all the rules for us. There is also a web chatroom. Call your Doctor's office and see if they have one.

I think you should be fine with the pills. My doc prescribed Lortab liquid for me, but it didn't do anything to help my pain. So, instead I took some percocets I had left over from a knee surgery several months ago. My doc said it was fine as long as I cut them in half and took it as two halves instead of a whole pill.

You can only take pills if you go to CVS or a drug store of your choice and get a pill crusher, it's near the pharmacy register at CVS, I forgot and took a pain capsule and nearly chooked because it wouldn't pass through the (dime size) opening. Think of it that way and you will ask for tylenyl rapid release liquid, cherry flavored, did the trick for me, try it!!! I bought the gas-x strips, they melt in your mouth but they help.

I have two questions gang:

1. What type of info did the dr.give you for your diet (ie...is it exactly what the lapband.com website looks like or what)?

2. When is your first post op dr. appointment scheduled?

I'm wondering because I basicially have NO real diet to follow except for exactly what is on the lapband website. It's wierd and doesn't make any sense at all. My nutritionist said I could basicially have anything that I could get through a straw...but I'm curious what your dr's have given you. Also, My first apt. is 6 weeks post op. It seem like a long time dont' you think? I believe this will be my first fill. Any info would be great!

Congrats to those new banders and good luck next week for those being banded. Thanks! Ronda

I could have SF Jello and pudding, broth, creamy Soups, Protein Shakes, popcicles, and that was pretty much it, I think. Then I moved onto mushies where I can have eggs, egg salad, tuna, saltines, chicken Soup with stars, Beans, and cheese. I had a 2 week post op appt. It seemed like it was mostly just to check the incisions though. There really isn't much else to check unless you are having problems I suppose. If you are concerned or want to be seen sooner, I would give them a call. Good luck!

Hi Ronda,

I had my surgery on 10/13 and am on my two-weeks of full liquid. (I can't wait to move onto mushies on Wednesday!) I know every doctor is different, but according to my doctor, full liquid is:

Once I move onto mushies I'm supposed to be allowed things like low-fat, pureed meats (like chicken or turkey), mashed potatoes, peas, other pureed vegetables, and thinned cream of wheat.

Also, my doctor does a post-op appointment at 7-10 days after surgery. However, due to scheduling issues (both mine and the docs) I don't have my first post-op appointment until tomorrow morning (14 days after surgery).

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Ronda my dr is stricter than most I am allowed Protein smoothies made with fruit and no colorie liquid or ff milk or v8 and can puree vegetables I am supposed to have 5 shakes a day 2 wks before and 3 weeks after. ( I hate protein powder so although not eating not getting near enough calories) oh and s/f Jello and as much no calorie drink as you want.

Thanks for the pill help I will buy a crusher just in case