Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any October Bandsters!??!?!

Hello all I have a band date 10/28/08 sooooo excited and thrilled for all the good reasons i need to lose weight

I am getting banded on Thursday, October 9th and I am nervous, ready, but nervous because of all the studies about African American Women, but hey, I have proven folks wrong before so...I am ready.

yes saninbham can you please elaborate a little on that ? the only concern i would have as an African American is developing keloids from the incision cuts.

Because of our food preparation and food choices (especially in the South, we like real butter, and as Paula Deen says, "country cooking makes you good looking") we tend to lose less weight with ANY weight loss program or surgery than our counterparts. However, I have seen many many AA women who have lost to their goal so I am inspired. I have heard this statistic from more than one surgeon. My surgeon wanted me to have GB just so I would reach my goal. I refused and he accepted my decision.

i think for me it's about a life style change along with droppin those bad eating habits. so this type of restriction is going to be perfect for me. i saw some before and after pics on here that has both inspired me and made me a true believer. i think we'll do just fine:wub:

AMEN!!! The men in my family keloid but I did not during my thyroidectomy. I do remember my father telling me that an AA woman had the surgery right after I did and she did keloid. I'm white - I wonder if other people of color keloid. Things that make me go hmm.

Had my final pre-op appointment this morning. It went very well, and I am now set to go on Thursday.

My mother, daughter and I are driving up to Idaho Falls on Wednesday evening and staying over night. It's only about a 45 minute drive, but I'd rather not do it at 6:00am so why not play in the hotel pool.

I have to be there at 7:15, and am second on the schedule so expect to be in around 9:30am. He may not let me go home the same day, but might be able to stay at the hotel an extra night and at least not pay the hospital for the night.

He's promised I get to meet the anesthesiologist Thursday morning. That is where most of my nerves lie right now.

Depending on which scale you choose, I've lost between 11 & 16 pounds and they were pleased with my progress.

Here we go!

Hey everyone. I was banded Monday morning at 9:30. I decided to stay the night because I live 4 hours away from the hospital.

The doctor said everything looked great. My liver was good, I did good on my pre-op 2 week liquid diet. Which I do recommend. I think it helped me prepare for the 2 week post op diet. I can't imagine those who didn't have to do the 2 week pre-op to have that "initial shock" they must have afterwards. In my opinion it is a great prep!

I was also thankful I didn't have the hernia so hopefully my recovery will be pretty fast.

I feel great. I'm a little sore and have a little gas, but other than that I feel wonderful. I definitely recommend the getting up alot and walking. It really helps!

Good Luck to everyone! I'll keep you posted.

Mississippi Girl

Mississippi Girl congratulations! Sounds like everything went perfectly.

How soon after surgery were you up and walking?

AMEN!!! The men in my family keloid but I did not during my thyroidectomy. I do remember my father telling me that an AA woman had the surgery right after I did and she did keloid. I'm white - I wonder if other people of color keloid. Things that make me go hmm.

I am white and I DO keloid. Horribly so. In fact I go back to the dermatologist in a couple of weeks to re-inject my scars with cortisone. Which sucks. I also have keloids from my gall bladder surgery but she isn't gonna work on them until after my surgery because hopefully my bariatric surgeon is gonna "re-use" a couple of them and make them neater. I used to just keloid on my upper shoulder area (I know weird but true) but now that I am older (and not as healthy as I used to be) I have trouble with scarring any where.

Mississippi Girl congratulations! Sounds like everything went perfectly.

How soon after surgery were you up and walking?

KarenK,

Thanks! Right now I am happy how everything has went. Today I did feel some hunger pains...which is why I am up this late eating a Jello cup.

The nurse had me out of the bed around 3 (went into surgery around 9:30 a.m.) , I walked around the block of the floor "just made the loop" every hour on the hour from 3 until 8. I see you only have 1 more day until your surgery! It is going to go great! I will be praying for you!

Holy cow there are a lot of October bandsters!

I'm glad to know that I am in great company :tt1:

I'm here for any last minute support anyone needs.....my operation is Monday, 10/13/08 at 7:15am.

Good luck to everyone.

Good Morning All...

I am getting banded at 10:00 this morning..really nervous!

Good luck to everyone!

I will post after when I am feeling up to it and let you all know how it went.

HAPPY BAND-DAY :tt1:

Well my surgery yesterday went well. I got to Guntersville North around 10:40 am and they immediately put me in a out patient room with TV and private restroom. They started my IV and said I should be wheeled back around 12:15. The nurse got me around 12:30 and carried me to the holding room. I remember looking at the clock around 12:50 and don't remember anything else ( not even being rolled to the OR) and my husband said they called him at 2:00 pm and told him I was in recovery.

Dr. Groves told him he had found a small mass on my liver that he went ahead and got a biospy on but was almost postive it was scarr tissue from having had gall bladder surgery several years ago. (Keep me in your prayers on that one). I was back in Gadsden around 5:30 and slept in my recliner until around 1:30 am and have been up walking around since then. The more I walk, the less sore I am. I haven't had pain medication all night until 6:30 this morning and didn't really need it then but the doctor told my husband for me to take it for at least a couple of days with fail. I've sipped on crystal light most of the night and have had no trouble with it. Good Luck to the rest of the month banders. On our way to a "New Life". :tt1:

P.S. When i figure out how to make the ticker I set up work right I will show my weight loss.