Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:wink2::biggrin:I feel like I eat too much too. But the times when I do best are the times when I 1. eat very slowly (eat as if food doesn't interest me that much--even though normally I would wolf it down!)

2. really concentrate on the tast of my food WHILE I am eating slowly(if you are enjoying conversation with a friend, then put your fork down while he/she is talking and listen, talk back if necessary, then pick your fork back up and resume eating, slowly.

3. eat 6 small meals of mainly Protein (truly this doees work) a ahlf a cup of egg beaters with a piece of FF cheese melted on it for Breakfast ( Ieat one piece of WW toast with it)...a Protein Shake about 10:30...tuna made with mustard and old bay wrapped in a lettuce leaf for lunch (I was suprised at how good this was!!) and a SF pudding... either another protein shake or about 6 shaved slices of turkey deli select wrapped in a piece of cheese, or a cottage cheese cup with applesauce...then your dinner of baked chicken breast and veggie, or broiled seafood and veggie, then exercise then another high protein snack in the evening..about every three hours . That't what MY surgeon reccommended, and it does work for me....just a suggestion.

I was banded on the 13th also! About day 4 I was starving. By day 6 I moved up to mushies. I was told to do the full liquid phase for 2 weeks, but i could've eat 12 puddings in a row and still been hungry. So, i have added mashed taters, oatmeal, and grits. This helps some but my weight has stopped going down since i got my hunger back. I was losing before.

I was banded on 8/4 and am on modified full liquids for 3 weeks...basically Clear Liquids plus Protein shakes. On the Monday after my surgery my hunger came back - my stomach felt like it was eating itself lol. That's when I did a calorie count and realized I was only getting about 300 a day. I added a different Protein Drink with a few more calories and now I'm up to about 500 calories a day. Am I hungry? Yes. But I have embraced it. I know now that being hungry isn't the end of the world. I feel like I have gained some control and have gotten in touch with my body a bit more, which can only help once I add soft foods next Wednesday.

I am determined to follow my surgeon's instructions and give my stomach plenty of time to heal before advancing to soft foods, even though, in my mind, I feel I could have added them at least a week ago. But I'm not the doctor. :wink2:

So hang in there, do what your doctor tells you and you'll soon be out of "bandster hell"!

I was banded on 7/17 and went through the same things. I had my first fill on 8/13 and it helped for awhile but I am going for my second fill on 8/28. I am not going to suffer through this hunger thing when I have a tool inside me. I am going to be aggressive with the fills. As far as eating the wrong foods during the liquid stage...don't do it. It might go down easy but it is making your stomach work to digest it and that is dangerous as far as healing. The liquid phase gives your stomach time to heal while the stitches are in place. Be careful!

I was scared after I ate something I shouldn't have and have stuck it out since. Thank you all for your encouraging words.

Yes, we will get through this.

:wink2:

Good for you ANWA! I know I am better than before my first fill...I also know that when I am hungry, and gobble, it feels weird...I have not got stuck yet....Thank goodness.....I think before restriction is practice because if I was more restricted I would have gotten stuck and "paid" the price!

My nutritionist went over "mindful" eating which is SO true....like at work, it is hard because if you are sitting and gabbing then #1 you are not paying attention to what or how you are eating...#2...depending on how much time you have, you may keep eating because everyone else is (I am supposed to limit to eating only for 20 minutes and THAT is IT!) and #3....you don't realize you just ate your whole lunch... so you do not get the psychological feeling of fullness...

SO...by writing this I am reminding MYSELF of these things and I hope I've helped someone else.... it is so hard in our society where food is so social... and if you sit and eat bread or chips and salsa before dinner....then you just spent your 20 minutes etc....

Make every meal MINDFULL and then you may truely feel fuller!

OK...Hang in there....I need to practice this too! Shelley

Edited by amsderb

I'm hoping I'll be too scared to eat the wrong stuff. I am going to try REALLY hard to do what my doc tells me too. I've been hungry on diets all my life; so I'm hoping I can hang in there a little longer. I'm scared I'll damage my band or hurt my self or something so I pray I can hang tough!

I don't think if you eat something you shouldn't it will hurt your band.

Might upset you stomach...

It is really hard and I' am a little disapointed that I'am as hungry as I have been. I get to start the mushies next wednesday.

Any good mushy ideas out there.

Man I have been so hungry ever since day 5 post op...thought it was me but obviously it is not! :angry: Man I really hate this bandster hell we are all in! Get my first fill Sept. 8th. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!! Much anticipation going on in my head! Yes I have also had a few things I should not have and it all went down fine accept for when my friend was in the hospital and I was there with her for quite a while. I was so hungry that when her turkey sandwhich arrived and she asked if I wanted half of it, I obliged. First bite went down ok...second bite I felt something kinda a lil tight feeling...took another bite ....Oh man I AM STUCK....LOL...was not funny at the time. I started to feel a tight pain n pressure in my chest area it felt like it did not want to go down and yet would not come up then all of a sudden I started to slime! I paniacked and went straight to the washroom n spit the slime out! It was the white bread...ate too big a bites cause I was so hungry n didnt chew well! Now I know!!! Only bread I will eat is wheat and if it is toasted! I have learned my lesson and think about it while I eat now! Good luck to you all, take care, Debbie:lol:

Debski, thank you for keeping it real for those of us who have not experienced situations like that....yet. I also am still tending to eat too fast and before I know it, I'm full and feeling pressure. I'm just used to eating fast and know I need to slow down. I'm amazed that I have a band with no fill yet and if I eat food that is a little thicker than thin liquids, I do feel the restriction/pressure. Thanks for reminding me I need to slow down. Good luck to you! Bonnie

I also have problems swallowing my pills. Any trick to this???

ANWA, you shouldn't be swallowing ANY pills. You need to crush them and put them in your food. Don't be swallowing whole pills. My doc actually told me to get liquids if possible, but now I crush and get chewables. Those liquid vitamins are some of the nastiest stuff I've ever had in my mouth. Your doc should have told you that several times. Good luck to you!

I was banded on 7/17 and went through the same things. I had my first fill on 8/13 and it helped for awhile but I am going for my second fill on 8/28. I am not going to suffer through this hunger thing when I have a tool inside me. I am going to be aggressive with the fills. As far as eating the wrong foods during the liquid stage...don't do it. It might go down easy but it is making your stomach work to digest it and that is dangerous as far as healing. The liquid phase gives your stomach time to heal while the stitches are in place. Be careful!

Bella! You hit the nail on the head with your post. The reason we adhere to the diet the doctor gives us is to help heal our stomach from the inside and food will most likely go down, but there is a reason to the madness of the food stages. Thanks for reminding us! Good luck to you. Bonnie

Anwa..our doc told us about a patient that 1st week post op ate a toasted tuna sandwich and had to come back in for surgery because it did something to his band (I think caused it to tear loose, but honestly I don't remembera) I'd rather just do what he says than chance it! BUT I've already had my "shame on me" moment by not shrinking my liver so I've used up my passes! LOL