Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has regretted getting the lap band & why?

Calipso, you bring up what I've been wondering for weeks - how do you get past the habit or urge to eat for taste, not for being full. If we're all so "addicted" to food, how do you get past the psychological need to taste food when you can't eat it? Or does it just go away when you're full? My biggest fear is missing eating the food - will there be a big void in my day? Anyone's input would be appreciated. Thanks!

the thing is when you are totally healed and have the doc approval you can eat those things you love you just have to use your head when doing it.

so dont eat 3 slices of pizza eat 1

instead of 5 oreos eat 2

instead of mcd's fries milkshake and burger get a chix wrap

you can still eat it isnt like you are never going to enjoy food again.

you just have to adjust the way you take it in.

if that didnt make any sense i am sorry.

It really discourages me to hear that people regret having the band. I know everyone's bodies are different but I really think its will power. I mean i am not saying that I have not had trouble or had cravings or even sometimes cheated the band but i do not think it is something that is worth giving up on. I am also not saying that its been a picnic for me either. The weight did not just melt off me. I have worked hard every single day. i just feel like I went through such extensive screening to have this, to make sure I was ready. I don't understand how there are people who have it, who are now deciding they are not ready.

I guess out of desperasion some people have this surgery, but why?

Can't say I really regret it - yet but am disappointed with how my port area looks and if I had known it would stick up like this would not have done the surgery - I am 2 months out have only lost 8 lbs - that is good I know better than nothing but I guess I thought it would fall off. Why do you regret it.

Obviously haven't been banded yet but I've done some research and lots of thinking about this and have decided that even if I do have complications and might have to get it removed at least I gave it my all and at least I tried. That's the best anyone can do!

Calipso, you bring up what I've been wondering for weeks - how do you get past the habit or urge to eat for taste, not for being full. If we're all so "addicted" to food, how do you get past the psychological need to taste food when you can't eat it? Or does it just go away when you're full? My biggest fear is missing eating the food - will there be a big void in my day? Anyone's input would be appreciated. Thanks!

being only 4 months post-surgery, i'm not sure how to get past the habit or urge to eat. that's what i'm still working on.

the first month post-surgery was mostly liquids and mushies for me. i wasn't even on solid food when i got my first fill. the second month post-surgery i felt even more hungry that i did before my first fill so i went in for my second fill and lost a lot of weight. the third and fourth month has been spent learning HOW to eat with the band.

i've learned i can no longer eat bread or ground meat, which i found out after PB'ing a few times after i ate those items. luckily i can still eat chicken and that is where i get the majority of my Protein along with cheese and nuts.

when my nutritionist told me that a single dinner at the Olive Garden would last a week with leftovers i thought she was joking but it's true. just think about how much you can eat now and then actually measure out 1/2 a cup... it's not much food BUT it does fill you up.

it's just that sometimes i'm left longing for a binge... and that totally psychological and maybe a lot of lapbanders don't feel the way i do.

i don't want anyone to get me wrong... it's not that i necissarily REGRET being banded. i love my band. i love being smaller. i love the compliments. i love being and feeling healthier. i wouldn't go to the extreme of getting my band removed or getting unfilled. i just didn't really fully understand that it's mostly a mental game... brain vs. stomach.

i am following the instructions to a t but the pain isnt worth the end result, i already feel like i resent having this due to the pain after the operation, i hope when i feel better that i will change my mind as for now im going to go a try to get comfortable for bed which i know will be immpossible

i am following the instructions to a t but the pain isnt worth the end result, i already feel like i resent having this due to the pain after the operation, i hope when i feel better that i will change my mind as for now im going to go a try to get comfortable for bed which i know will be immpossible

No offense or anything but you resent getting it because your in pain? That's pretty stupid, no surgery comes without pain and ones that do I'd be worried more about it. Everyone on here has chosen this for one reason or another and obviously everyone knows you have to take a bit of pain to get the best result. I mean seriously

hi,

i was just wondering how you are feeling now? i am due to get my band fitted in 4 weeks and would love to know if you think its a good idea.

hope you feeling better!

angie xx

I am only 2 months out - regular food for 6 weeks. I love this, I am having no problems. So far the weight is falling off of me though I know that won't last. I am also not very restricted so I still eat a fair amount of food - more like 2 to 2 and 1/2 cups at a time. This is still less than before. Regarding the urge to eat for taste, I have heard some long timers say they prefer to eat 1 cup of food and lose more slowly because they find that 1/2 cup is just not mentally satisfying. I would think if this is really a problem for anyone, they should try a very slight unfill and eat a little more. Give it a try and see what happens.

I am not sure any of us really get completely "past" the urge to binge from time to time if we had it before. I think for a lot of us it is just part of who we are and we have to find appropriate, healthy means to deal with it. However, the band does prevent the ability from binging because you just can't eat that much without suffering. If you overdo it, the big stick comes out (pb'ing and being very uncomfortable) to teach you not to do so.

Am I still addicted to food . . . absolutely. Have I found a way to deal with it . . . yes. I have exchanged quantity for quality and I take time to really, truly taste what I am eating.

I have found that in most binges, beyond the first couple of bites, I no longer really taste what it is that I am eating. I don't even think binges were about enjoying the food as much as filling a void. Binges were always followed by a mountain of guilt which would make me want to do it again. I was never, ever happy or satisfied by doing this. It always left me feeling empty and depressed.

Now I am finding I can take a couple of bites of something and be satisfied more than ever before. It only takes a little and I don't have to feel guilty about it.

The band can not fix the root of most of our problems, which isn't in the stomach. However, there are hard limitations with the band in that you can only eat so much, and if you overdo it there are uncomfortable consequences. I think this helps with behavior modification to deal with binging and brings it more under control.

It seems to get easier and easier over time

. . . 2 months out food still ruled my thoughts (again, the thoughts were more important than my stomach) and there was indeed a big void in my day because what do you do with yourself after work when you are used to eating to relax??? I was actually grieving for the loss of my ability to eat.

. . . 4 months out was a little better in that I could eat most things only in small quantities but I had to deal with the binge demon at that time and my mind was still saying more, more while my stomach was crying "uncle". This was actually one of the hardest stages in that this is where the "really difficult" work in behavior modification struggles were running rampant

. . . 6 months plus out I seem to be more in control, more happy, feel more normal and food has become just another normal part of my life 95% of the time.

. . . the future, I really expect it to continue to get easier as i continue to work on why I think like I do and find alternative more healthy ways to deal with life. I have already found that exercise relieves stress in a much more effective way than food ever did . . . with no guilt associated. I am on the right path and I will continue to move forward.

For me it has all been a learning process . . . but I couldn't get there without my band. I still have no regrets. The band did not make my life easier by any means, but I am better for it. I love what my band has helped me to accomplish and I would not trade it for the world.

Edited by HeatherO

Heather pretty much summed up my complete thought process.

It gets easier every day. It really does. The pain will go away and you will start feeling better and soon the weight will come off and you will know you did the right thing.

I really didn't have issues with the weight coming off at first. I lost a lot of weight within the first four months....then I plateaued for six months. The weight I plateaued at was the weight I have spent a majority of my adult life at, I was comfortable there, so I was not too worried about the plateau. But I did get over it, and started losing again, and hopefully will be at my goal by Christmas.

I do think everyone handles the band different. I know that for me, I would fight tooth and nail for this band in me. I know myself well enough to know that I am a food addict and if I lost this band today, I would not be able to control myself with food. That is me today, in the future, I may be different.

I wish you luck on your journey to find yourself and what is right for you. I do know that I have NO regrets other than staying heavy so many years and missing out on all the fun things there is to do out there in the world when you are not sitting on the couch shoving food in your mouth!!

if you go to youtube.com type in lapband you will hear from people on both sides of the banding

hi everyone, i got banded on tuesday the 19 in mexico, Dr Otriz was wanderfull i enjoy my stay in his lovely Lucerna hotel, i feel great , i was a little tired for 2 days which is expected but other than that i feel good i am on my 21 days od what ever u call it but u know what its not that bad i can have liquid Soup i don't buy them i make them. u know i was so so scared about going to mexico t.j but after the wonderfull experience i'm glad i did it. and compare with the price in canada for a band trust me :P) i hope u all feel good and happy i love my band