Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to Try New Foods

Is anybody else really apprehensive about trying new foods? I have been really hesitant to add new food because I am afraid of how my body will react or that it will get stuck.

I know this is crazy and all in my head, but I am really nervous about it. :thumbup: I had scrambled eggs yesterday and I was so nervous I could hardly eat them.

I want to enjoy what I am able to eat!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Kristen, don't be afraid to try new foods. You may be surprised to find what you can and cannot tolerate. Being a bandster isn't about doing without, it's about moderation. You'll get bored quickly and get in a food rut if you just eat the same things over again. Which can lead to disappointment down the road.

I can understand your apprehension. I cannot do scrambled eggs - at all. I just found other ways to prepare them that I can do. No, being stuck and PBing is not fun. I haven't found too many things I can't eat (even at good restriction), with the exeption of bread. I just can't and don't do bread.

I've seen several people say they can't handle scrambled eggs. Why is that, I wonder? I'm going to be moving to soft foods next Wednesday (yaaaay o/) and eggs are first on the list. Scrambled is about the only way I eat them, aside from hard-boiled sometimes. What if they are more wet-scrambled than dry-scrambled?

I'm a little nervous about starting to add foods too Kristen. Part of me wants to dive into a bowl of potato Soup after my appointment with the nutritionist next Wednesday, but I've been on such a low-carb, low-fat diet since my surgery that I'm afraid my body will rebel! I was thinking about going to a restaurant, but it may be safer to go home and eat something. lol And I'd just as soon NOT get my body to craving carbs again. I know my energy level is going to go up once I start adding them carefully though.

Guest Leslie2Lose

The consistancy of scrambled eggs it what makes them so hard to go down. They are soft, yet rubbery. The first "out to eat food" I had was refried Beans from a Mexican Restaurant. Those were the best beans I ever ate - ever.

I was actually considering refried beans! mmmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Refried Beans go down really easily. But, my doc says to avoid whole Beans for a while (until on solids) as they require the stomach to really work in order to digest them.....

Oh, and so far, eggs, scrambled are good for me. I make them pretty dry, too, I don't like wet eggs. I just chew them like crazy!

I had surgery 3 weeks on Friday. I have no idea what restriction feels like. Actually I thought I had none, until tonight. eggs are great! German pancakes...made mostly from eggs are not. I am trying to avoid wheat anyhow but since these are mostly eggs, thought I would give a small one a try. I felt restriction and pain. Won't be doing that again.

I made a turkey chili last night with 3 types of Beans. My DH packaged them up in little containers and I took one to work today. So good and easy to eat. Chili:thumbup: Pancakes:thumbdown:. Eating is just one big experiment! Kim

Okay, I haven't even had surgery yet and I'm nervous about moving from the shake stage to soft foods! My surgeon has me on my pre-op diet for 2 more weeks after surgery (shakes and no-cal liquids) then moves me to soft foods. I'm already planning on full liquids/purees for 2 more weeks before I move to soft foods. I'm so worried about slippage by moving through the food stages too fast that I'm actually going AGAINST surgeon's orders with the full liquids/purees. I want to know that if someday, God forbid, I have a complication, it wasn't because of something I did. Just freaks me out!!!

He also said 4-6 week lifting restriction of 10lbs. I put 6 weeks on the calendar. I don't want my port to flip!!

I think I'm flipping out!! :thumbup:

Okay, guys I was banded on 8-6-08 and I have only lost 9 lbs. How much has everyone lost that had their surgery around the first of this month? I am very frustrated that I have only lost 9 lbs. and I lost that within the 4 days of the surgery and have been stuck at 237 for two weeks practically. BTW, when I make my eggs, I put one egg, some skim milk and shredded cheese in a bowl and put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. The cheese makes it really good since I hate the taste of eggs. As far as the turkey chili that was made by one of you, how were you able to get the Beans down you? Did you smoosh them up? May I have the recipe? I can not find anything without carbs that I can have during the puree stage.

I won't be banded until the 26th and I was worried about moving to different food stages too. However yesterday I went to my pre op testing and they reviewed what you can eat and when, I felt a little better about it after that. I just figured that I would try things little by little and listen to my body. Everyone will react different to everything so my advice is just take it one food at a time. If it works then you'll know for next time! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I busted out and had some ricotta with spaghetti sauce this evening, it was very yummy. I have been having refried Beans with a bit of salsa and sprinkle of cheese and I have had scrambled eggs with salsa. I love salsa, if you can't tell!

Misty, I am also leary about the carbs, absolutely love them! I did have a baked potato the other day with some sour cream, the kids went to Sonic and I stopped to get some Soup to eat on the go, but couldn't find anything that was smooth, so went for the potato. It really filled me up and was very heavy, didn't feel good in the tummy.

I guess it is all a learning experience. I just have to give it a try and see what works. I might try some tuna tomorrow and see how that goes.

I had surgery on 8-14 and my postop was today. I came home and "celebrated" with 4 of those little sugar free pudding cups for lunch. Needless to say, I have had nothing the rest of the day. This is the first day I have felt was restriction feels like. The pressure and tightness bordering on being uncomfortable and near pain. I'm sure I ate them too fast, and of course, I should have stopped at 1 or 2. I think the idea is to try new food little by little. A little bit at a time and slowly. I honestly think that if I ate roasted chicken right now, I would have to stop soon.

But I'm with the rest of you about the refried Beans. I bought a couple cans of those, some sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes, and some other things yesterday. I can't WAIT for week 3 to get here!

recipes are tough as I just put it all together. I used all these ingredients and added no oil. I was very yummy and full of Protein. I chew this well and have no trouble with the Beans.

2 Packages of Ground Turkey

1 large can of diced tomatoes

1 large can of pureed tomatoes

1 can of Tomato paste

1 diced onion

mucho garlic

1 diced pepper

chopped mushrooms

1 can of kidney Beans

1 can of chick peas

1 can of white kidney beans

3 tablespoons of chili spices

2 tablespoons of oregano

2 tablespoons of basil

1 teaspoon of pepper

2 tablespoons of splenda

I cook the meat in a non-stick pan until crisp with half the chili and pepper then add chopped garlic, onion, mushrooms, and peppers. When soft add the remaining ingredients. Remember to rinse the beans. Add a little Water if it is too thick. Cook covered for several hours. Freeze a bunch up for some tasty dinners. I have not had the chance to put into FitDay.com yet to get the stats....

I am really focusing on getting the Protein in my diet. I discovered ground flax seeds at Cosco. 2 table spoons gives 4g of protein for 90 calories. You can add this to your Protein shakes, chili, yogurt.....Take care all...Kim:tt2:

Ladybugmom~

Welcome to the site! Congrats on your band. This is a great place to get information and meet people who are banded.