Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nobody noticing weight loss

O.K., this is probably silly, but I've lost about 45 pounds since getting banded in April, and I want someone to notice! Of course my husband has noticed, mostly because I have been having to buy new clothes :blush:, and he is very supportive. But even my parents and sisters haven't said anything like, "Hey, you look good," and I've TOLD them how much I have been losing. One of my co-workers complimented me, but that's it. I know 45 pounds isn't a lot when you start at 313, but it's got to be a little noticeable. Grrrrr.

OK, rant over. I promise I don't usually need attention this much, but it would be nice to have someone notice the weight loss.

That will all change as you get smaller. Almost no-one noticed my first 40 pounds either. I didn't get much for comments or anything.

Now, I constantly get comments, even from people I don't really know about my appearance. Sometimes it is not even a reference to weight, people just say how good I look these days.

At first I was frustrated but now I realize that it is all a matter of percentages. At first, even though you lose a significant amount of weight, when you have alot to lose it is a small number compared to the overall amount percentage wise and, eventhough you are smaller, you may still look heavy. Later, when you are getting close to goal, every 10 pounds lost becomes really visable because it is a much larger percentage of the remaining weight left to lose. You also no longer appear heavy and so everything is much more apparent.

Give it a little time, and believe me, you will get tired of the comments :0).

Hi Lisa - so sorry to hear you aren't getting too many supporting/complimenting comments on your weight loss. That must be really frustrating for you. But don't let it get you too down - one day you'll be on the other side of it and actually tired of people talking about all the weight you have lost hahhahaha (Sounds crazy - but I lost about 60lbs. once before, and that's all anyone would ever talk about. It was awesome at first, but got old.....)

Take care and great job/congrats to you, on your losing so far!! :blush:

Lisa,

45 pounds is a BIG deal. That is a toddler. I find that things like that always helped me keep going. If you go to the gym or even when you go to the grocery store, pick up something that weighs like 5 pounds, hold it in your hand for a while and than think, you have lost 9 times that weight. That is a big accomplishment. It is natural for a human to want it all right now. I had the same problem around 53 pounds lost. I just recall seeing so many different people around than and i felt like I was saying I had lost 53 pounds too many times. I felt like I should be saying a different number by than and i didn't feel like it was that much yet. I also noticed people acted weird around me for a while, like they wanted to say you look different but didn't want to offend me by saying I lost weight, especially if i hadn't. When i hit 60 pounds, the compliments came from people i hadn't even seen since elementry school.

So keep up the good work and remember that you have come so far in the right direction.

Hollie

It sucks when people don't notice. I started at 256 and nobody noticed my weight loss until I got around 210. Maybe they notice and don't say anything but I think that stinks. I love it when people notice the weight loss becasuse it is so hard to lose weight.

Hi Lisa,

Congrats on your great weight loss! Don't worry, people have got to notice. Many people get jealous of another person losing weight and they just won't give you the satisfaction of telling you. People who are your true friends will tell you eventually. I weighed just around what you did at my starting weight and I've lost 31 pounds. I can see the difference and so can my husband and mom, but nobody else has said anything. I'm expectiong to go through just what you are. I know, even family gets jealous. Just know that you look great and keep up the good work!

Lisa :wink2:

I completely understand what you are talking about. I was banded June 23, 2008 and I have lost 47 pounds. I started at 324 and now weigh 277. I haven't told anyone other than my mom and dad about the band. My mom and brother noticed that I look smaller but my dad and everyone else couldn't tell that I lost weight. Finally this weekend my brothers girlfriend looked at me and she asked me if I was losing weight. She was so excited for me and wanting to know what I was doing. I told her I was eating healthy and exercising which is truly what I am doing considering I only have 1cc in a 10cc band. I think the reason she notice is because I went shopping this weekend and bought new smaller clothes. I was wearing a size 28 before and they looked so sloppy because I have to constantly pull my pants up in public and they are just way too big. Now I am in a size 20 and people can see my shape now. Buying clothes that fit better on your body may help people see that you are losing weight. I was so self-conscious at first but I look so much better wearing clothes that fit.

I lost 65 lbs about two years ago. Everyone noticed it and even my mom. However, I Mom said "you have really started showing your age now, since you lost some of the weight". Can you believe that. That did me in and have now gained all of it back and then some, now 250.....

Guest Leslie2Lose

I really think people that see you every day don't notice. They forget the fat you. Does that make sense? I had a picture out of me the other day at my heaviest and one of my co-workers said she forgot that I looked like that. If they haven't commented it is probably because they really don't notice the huge change or they are too embarassed to say anything. It's like if they acknowledge you are looking good now - they don't want to hurt your feelings by implying you weren't so hot a few months ago.

Hang in there - it will come. I ran into one of DH's friends at the store a few weeks ago. He didn't say anything, but I read it all over his face. One of those up and down looks. He hadn't seen me in over a year. DH of course didn't like the look (I was tickled pink he was jealous).

Lisa, did I hear you right? 45 isn't a lot? Are you nuts girl? That's a huge amount of weight. CONGRATS. Iam also going to say that sometimes people don't say much even though they DO notice b/c their jealous. Sad but it can be a true fact. Keep up the great work!!!!!

I was in your shoes too. Just remember that you are doing this for yourself. Odds are that people are noticing...they either just don't know what to say or they are uncertain. Before long, you will see people looking at you differently. I have a lot of people tell me that I look great. Then, they ask me if I'm feeling ok. It's really odd. It's like they think, "wow...she looks like she's lost weight. I'm going to comment on it. Oh no...what if she's been sick?" I finally asked my brother if he had noticed, and he said, "Yeah." That was it. I asked him again, and he said, "I didn't know if you wanted me to say anything. But now that you've asked, I really notice it when you are walking away." In the past, I maybe would have been a little offended by that, but I asked. And, I'm happy that my backside is smaller!

Hang in there. Give it a few more pounds. You are doing great!!!

Congratulations on the loss! Could be that they are not saying anything if you are at all like me. I lose and I gain it all back and more. Maybe they think it's all going to come back, especially if they aren't aware you had surgery. It feels so great to lose all that weight that we want the whole world to know. I think you look great even though we can't see you!

It's hard when you want and need reward and validation for your efforts and not get it. When we are heavy we want to disappear and not be noticed, when we loose weight we want to be noticed by everyone.

Your friends are right, in time you will wow all of them with the " new you". In the mean time the mirror and reflections in store windows can be your best friends. They don't lie and will put a smile on your face.

Keep up the good work and fighting the good fight. You are a hero !

I remember years ago I had a beard for many years. One day I shaved it off and went to work. People could not figure why I looked different - most thought I had gotten new glasses !

Tom

Lisa,

I know how you feel. I've lost before in years past, and it is hard when you are all excited about fitting into a certain outfit, and nobody says anything. I think sometimes people are actually being polite, and consider it rude to comment on a person's weight, especially when they know you struggle with it. Hang in there, and let us know about your weight loss - we will happily cheer you on!