Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so how long from start to finish??

Hi guys... i went to my GP tonight he gave me a referral to a surgeon... but he said the whole process with the testing can be about six months.. is that true>???? how long should it take??? :confused2:

It really depends on your insurance and your surgeon. Really, your insurance is a huge deciding factor. Some require a six-month supervised diet. Mine did not. I was approved in less than a week and then had the surgery 2 months later.

Good luck!

I was a self pay so I didn't have to do the 6 month weight loss program, but it still took me 4 1/2 months from seminar to surgery. It took about a month to get in to see the surgeon for the first time. After I was cleared for surgery w/ the preop testing I had to wait another month because my Dr was already booked a month out. It was a good opportunity to prepare myself.

I did not have a required 6 month diet either. Here is my time line

February 21, Seminar

April 18 & 21 All obesity institute appointments (blood work, ekg, psych exam, PT, Dietitian, nurse practitioner, & psych eval)

Lose 5%

June 24, Surgical consult

July 24, Surgery

It was almost 5 months to the day. It could have been faster, if I had lost my 5% faster. . . . but hey 16 lbs in 2 months is pretty damn good.

Hope that helps!!

I too was self pay 1.went to the seminar 2.3 weeks later went to consult was 1 week into my 2 week liquid diet ( did my upper GI and blood work in my home town I live 200 miles from surgeon) 3. 1 week after consult had surgey at the surgery center in Dalton GA. good luck

I was self pay as well. I had went to several seminars over the last few years and my doctor actually remembered speaking with me so I didn't have to attend another one. I had my consultation the 1st of Nov. and scheduled my pre-op testing and dietary class. After all of my testing and labs were cleared I was scheduled for surgery on Dec. 26th. I could have had the surgery sooner but I wanted to wait until after Christmas. I had a low bmi (34.6) so I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. I hope this help. Wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches