Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PRE-OP SHOPPING LIST - Please add your ideas...

Need all of your help here - I am composing a list, just as "giveyouthemoon" had started, for the pre-op patients in our support group. Can anyone think of ANYTHING else you wished you would have had on hand when you got home from surgery???

With the help of my DH, I was VERY prepared before I went in; but there were still a few things I had to send him out to the store to buy. Any ideas???

Thanks!!!

Nancy* :cry :D :think :)

I'll keep watching both posts, so wherever you post it, I'll find it!!! Thanks!

Here is what "giveyouthemoon" had so far....is this too much duplication? I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes.....at least it won't hurt as much as it would have when I was 75 lbs heavier!!! Sorry....bad joke! :ermm

popsicles (any recommended brands. Should I go sugar free?)

crystal light

Jello (sugar free?)

gatorade

ensure

chicken/beef/veggie broths (any good brands? should I get low sodium?)

Protein powder for shakes

frozen fruits for Protein Shakes

Soups (tomato? Other good flavors I should consider?)

liquid tylenol

liquid gasx

heating pad

Look for a line of Soups by "Imagine". They come in cartons. They have a great selection of interesting soups....ie. Potato Leek, Butternut Squash, Corn, Creamy Tomato....and more. They are considerably lower in sodium than Campbells Soup.

One thing I would recommend is to cook a chicken before surgery, and save the broth from the chicken and freeze it in very small containers. I know after my surgery I had bought the can stuff, and to tell you the truth I didn't like it. My friend had cooked a chicken and she brought me over some of the broth and I was in heaven!! So that is one thing you could do to prepare.

Go on ebay, and check out MUSCLE MILK LIGHT Protien Drink. It comes in a lot of flavors, and if I would have known the Surgeon was going to tell me,I have to drink 8oz. daily, I would have ordered ahead of time. Lots of flavors. With this you can scrap the ensure.

Thats old news. This stuff is good for you, and taste good. I never even lost my hair. They told me at the Hospital if I drank it, I would never loose my hair! It was true....

Make a couple of pots of your favorite Soups, puree' them, and freeze small containeers of them. Remember... PUREE' all those vegetables, and return it to the broth. There good for you, not fattening at all, and it re-inforces the flavor. Don't worry!!! It will all go down.

Shirley.

What is there protien level? and calories?

Muscle Milk Light is 195 cal. 25g. of protien

Shirley.

Edited by sstasevich

I found I didn't use a lot of stuff either. I had some leftover Medifast shakes from my pre-op diet, so I had a few of those (made with milk for a bigger Protein boost) and mostly I had Tomato Soup, shakes, Water, milk and a little Jello pudding later in the week. I think I had one popsicle.

I did use a heating pad a little, that was nice, but I have a ton of Crystal light leftover (the artificial sweetener gives me a headache) and I never did use up the other stuff.

Heating Pad is a must!!

I also loved having SONIC Ice pellets. They were great to munch on especially in the beginning when I wasn't feeling like drinking, plus you can use it to make slushies with the crystal light.

Gas X strips are great too.

Comfy pjs and robe!

Quite honestly, I would say that other than some liquids ie - Protein drinks, broth, sf Jello etc you won't really need anything. I didn't use anything at all other my liquids

I just needed the liquids to drink and liquid tylenol. I don't think I used the tylenol but maybe 1 time. Other than that I was up running around the house the same day.

Some people lose hair, some don't. It's 99% chance and 1% what you do or do not put in your mouth, supplement-wise.

Liquid gas-x will only help with intestinal gas. It will not help remove the gas they use to inflate your abdomen during surgery, which is where most of the discomfort comes from.

We have a very robust shopping list, have you looked at it yet? I can't imagine there's much missing as long as it has been around/added to. You may just want to pull it up and chop it down accordingly.

I was so happy that I had bought a ton of really cheap pillows/pillow cases. I could prop myself into any position comfortably and sleep. For me, this was a lifesaver! Also, there are Isopure flavored Protein waters that were good. But the pillows: a must have!

Marie