Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heartburn after eating anything?

i got my first fill yesterday.. came home had some soup...heartburn...i only had coffee this morning and that was ok..i had a cheese stick for lunch... heartburn...i just had a chicken thigh for dinner and major heartburn!...i definatly feel restriction and nothing is actually comming up but i have major heartburn... HELP!!

Reflux!! From being too tight. Not that you have too much fill, necessarily, but maybe because the area is swollen from being filled. No chicken or cheese, just liquids or very soft mushies for another day or two until it settles down. Then try out your food.

24 hours of liquids after fills, just to be safe. I know you said you got your fill yesterday, and you had Soup last night and got the heartburn. Was it Tomato Soup?

Maybe you just need a bit longer, or maybe you are too tight? Try starting out at square one after surgery, and move through your food stages by the day (Clear Liquids, full liquids, soft mushies, full mushies, then food...you know)

Tums gives good temporary relief.

thanks kathy... my doc said liquids for 24 hours then to go to regular food so i thought i would be ok for chicken by tonight... i guess i will go back to what you said to do and see how it goes... if it doesnt get better what do i do?... do i have to get unfilled?? i am not pbing just a little uncomfortable....is it dangerous to have heartburn?? sorry so many questions

Do a little search on Esophogitis, which is what reflux will turn into if it continues. It's like a constant throat burning. Yuck.

Here's what happened to me. I had my surgery and was fine, then drank a little coffee, fine, then added in V-8 juice and started getting irritated. This was day 4-5, so I thought it was normal and didn't worry. Well, I PB'd on Jello and it all went downhill from there. By the end of week 1 I couldn't swallow my own spit. It was normal swelling post-surgery that got worse because I didn't slow down. I just plowed through the recovery too fast. One irritant created another and round and round till I was swollen shut. 3 bags of Fluid at the hospital later, I start back over again and this time I take it REALLLLYYY slow. all is fine now.

Just slow down a bit and treat your banded area like it's very delicate. I haven't had a fill yet, but I'd suspect if it doesn't get better you may need a small unfill. But just pretend it's re-swollen from the fill and see how it goes.

Take the Tums, too. Gas-X doesn't do anything for the reflux. At least for me. The tums is an antacid.

Prilosec helps me, I don't get heartburn all the time, about 4 times a week. Dr. McKeen prescribed Prilosec in pakage form that you mix with 2 tlbs of Water. He said I don't have to take it every day, just when I need it. But not more than once a day. I havn't had a fill yet, so I don't have an unfill option.

If after a few days you still get bad heartburn, you may need an unfill. A tiny bit can make the biggest difference.

actually the coffee was the only thing that didnt give mje heartburn...i just went out and got tums and yogurt and pudding... i am going to take everyones advice and start out like i just had surgery and hopefully it will pass!

Blonde, it could be the coffee, it's very acidic. I am able to drink coffe fine now so don't freak out about having to give it up, just for a little while until the swelling goes down. I forgot how newly banded you are...seems like it was a month ago when you saw Kuri but I think it was 2 weeks ago? Kuri told me to take Prilosec, just like Vera said and I did, it worked great on the reflux/heartburn. Now I have switched to my hubby's Zantac. In generic form it is TONS less expensive and I take 2 but only when I need it. I haven't had to take in in almost 2 weeks I think. Other than the coffe are you doing okay?

all right Sheri, keep us posted. I hope that works well for you and you can keep that fill and have some great restriction!

I was banded on the 18th of may. I have totally given up coffee, and diet drinks... Those are big accomplishments for me. I was a Diet Dr. Pepper Hoochie, I drank them all day long. I haven't had much heartburn, other than coffee at the beginning. Since I've already given it up, I'm going just stay away from it.

But, I've been pretty good the last two days, finally no back pain..... After 2 acupuncture treatments and about 3 chiropractor visits.

Keep us posted Sheri, I still have to have a fill, and I'm absorbing all the info I can.

hi everyone, i am so only having liquids today...it took me about 5 hours to feel better last night!! and just from 1 piece of chicken.i will let you know how the day goes.oh the good news i lost 2 more pounds!!i wish i could have this restriction and feel ok!

I got the answer here asked when you were filled.

I was filled yesterday as well and I was on Clear Liquids the rest of the day. I get to start solids today so maybe like Paula says stay on liquids for a bit longer or try some previcid or Zantac.

How much was your fill?

just wanted to give an update... i am feeling great!!.. the heartburn is gone but i still have restriction, and good restriction.... i just hope it stays like this... guess i am a rare one to have restriction after the 1st fill...thank you to all who helped me through those first few days;)

I just had my surgery on August 12th; they want me to only eat liqids; they definitely said no Jello or pudding; it has to be liquids only! I have had very bad heart burn; It's starting to get better. I'm hungry, but to scared to cheat; so liquids it is.