Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how close to the skin is your port?

When I went to my first visit with my surgeon he said that I wouldn' t be able to feel the band.. Well that surgeon had an emergency and I was switched to a different surgeon. I had met him once before the surgery and the day of I asked again, about port flipping and will i be able to feel it. He said that he puts his directly under the skin. Well I feel it it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I can't feel my band, but I can feel my port. It is stitched to my abdominal muscle wall. It is usually pretty close to the skin so they don't have to search and dig to do fills.

My port is between my chest down about 3-4 inches. I actually HATE where its at. When I take my sunglasses off while shopping etc... and put the arm down my top and bra its digs right where my port is. My bra sits on it when I sit, I hope this goes away with weight loss. LOL AND I too can look down and see the whole outline of the port through my skin. It was easy to get a fill. My port is also stitched in place. I just wish it was a lil further down. Iam one month post op today and had 4cc's at time of surgery in my 10cc band. I had a fill of 1.5cc's and have great restriction. I have lost 16 lbs this month. I will live with my port. LOL

my port can be felt if you run your hand over my abdomen. when i eat too much it actually protrudes a little. i guess i thought it would be more inside my body but then it would be more difficult to fill i guess?

I was banded in mid-June. Last week was the first time I felt my port- or at least I think it's the port. In that area it felt a little swollen but only that day. Maybe it was something I ate???

I have lost almost 40 of the 50 pounds I needed to lose. I have a lump the size of an egg where my port is. I talked to my doctor about it and it seems that the way my fat was and is not now, the port is visible. I can have it switched out to a new "low profile" port or just have it buried deeper - both of which I shouldn't do until I lose all the weight I want to lose. If I wear a top that fits, the lump is visible so I find myself wearing pants that fit well (size 12) and tops that fit big (XL). I guess I will be facing another procedure to move the port so that I won't be self conscious about wearing tops that fit. I guess it is a small price to pay (on top of self pay for surgery) to feel good and look good.

You can see my port now that I'm at a normal weight, but you need to be lookign for it. You can feel it really easily though, its a hard lump. It certainly doesnt bother me enough though to want to open up the scar (for a low profile one) and wait another 3 years for that to become invisible!

Mine is diagonally left above the navel, over to the left by about 2 inches and about 4 inches up. Everything I wear is lowish rise anyway, I dont have any clothes where the waistbands come over my navel, I've never found that comfortable. So my port never hits anything and its well below the bra line by a good 4 inches.

If your port is hitting the bra, there's a good chance it wont after weight loss because now when I sit, there's no rolls of flesh to bunch up, your stomach will stay flat and your port wont be bothered by your bra.

I was told I wouldn't be able to feel mine...well, I do!! Only when I stand though. It sticks out like an egg right under my right boob. It doesn't when I sit but you can still feel it. Then when I lie down, it disappears. Weird thing is, it's right at my incision while lying down, but moves up when standing. I still have a bit to lose in my belly so maybe once that's gone-HA!! Who knows. Just one day at a time here.

I couldn't feel mine, when I went for my first fill she had a hard time finding it. she did let me feel it when she did find it. Mine was attatched to the abdominal wall and she actually told me that it will move as I loose weight....so someday it may be visable or felt easy but for right now it is hidden.............

I am sooo glad I found this post!! I thought I was going crazy. I can see my port too. It sticks out a bit, like an egg. Cant see it when I sit down, but when I stand up, it's definitely noticeable. I have the Realize band, which they say has a lower profile port. I'm hoping as the fat leaves my middle, that sucker will smooth out. At 290, I already have enough bumps and rolls to contend with. I really dont need anymore LOL.

Hi I'm 11 days post op and I can feel a little firmness just under the bottom of my ribcage where my port is. I'm still a bit bloated from the surgery but I'm thinking that after a month or so "IT" might be noticable to my husband. :)