Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheers and Fears

First, CHEERS -- I have to pat myself on the back (which I now can reach a lot easier) for the 39.5 pounds I have lost. WOW!! :glare: I am 1/3 of the way there!

Here, however, are some of my fears that I hope you brilliant LBTers can help me with:

1. My hair is thinning. I could be overanxious about it since I have spent my life with incredibly thick hair.. the kind of hair that is hard to put in a ponytail, the kind of hair that when you part, you still can't see scalp... well, now I see scalp and a small furry animal lives in my shower now. Somehow when I envisioned thin, bald just wasn't part of that picture. I mentioned it to my surgeon who said he didn't think it was from surgery (yeah, right) but I didn't have this problem until I had surgery. :sad:

2. I have been doing Couch-to-5K since I was released postoperatively. I attribute the majority of my weight loss to it. However, for the past week, I have had a catch in my hip that is only relieved by Tylenol. I skipped my workout yesterday and my hip, after 4 days, felt fine. I know it is because of all the weight on my joints but I am literally SCARED TO DEATH not to be able to run. Besides that, I actually kind of (like) it... (even scarier that I can say it out loud) :angry:. I asked the trainer at my Y what she recommended and she said the bike ....blah. That interests me about as much as sticking my head in the toilet. I thought about trying the elliptical but wasn't sure if that would be any easier on the hip or not. I'm starting to get depressed about it, though. Anyone have any ideas? I sure don't want to push and possibly do damage that puts me down for an extended period of time.

Thanks for reading and I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions! :)

Guest Leslie2Lose

Here, however, are some of my fears that I hope you brilliant LBTers can help me with:

1. My hair is thinning. I could be overanxious about it since I have spent my life with incredibly thick hair.. the kind of hair that is hard to put in a ponytail, the kind of hair that when you part, you still can't see scalp... well, now I see scalp and a small furry animal lives in my shower now. Somehow when I envisioned thin, bald just wasn't part of that picture. I mentioned it to my surgeon who said he didn't think it was from surgery (yeah, right) but I didn't have this problem until I had surgery.

2. I have been doing Couch-to-5K since I was released postoperatively. I attribute the majority of my weight loss to it. However, for the past week, I have had a catch in my hip that is only relieved by Tylenol. I skipped my workout yesterday and my hip, after 4 days, felt fine. I know it is because of all the weight on my joints but I am literally SCARED TO DEATH not to be able to run. Besides that, I actually kind of (like) it... (even scarier that I can say it out loud) :glare:. I asked the trainer at my Y what she recommended and she said the bike ....blah. That interests me about as much as sticking my head in the toilet. I thought about trying the elliptical but wasn't sure if that would be any easier on the hip or not. I'm starting to get depressed about it, though. Anyone have any ideas? I sure don't want to push and possibly do damage that puts me down for an extended period of time.

Thanks for reading and I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions!

First off Southern Missy - Congrats on your just shy of 40 pounds! You go girl!

As for the thinning hair - I'm going through the same thing. Although with a thyroid condition unforunately I've been living with it for a while. It helped when I cut my hair shorter and lightened it. Nothing like dark brown (almost black) hair with a big white hole in the front of my hairline.

I'm doing the Couch to 5K too. I'm only on week two though. I love it too! I never thought I would. I think the eliptical would be a good option while you are healing. You may have just pulled something loose. Try resting it a bit then start back. I've been told the eliptical is better on your joints than the treadmill.

I agree about the stationary Bike! Tiolet! - Girl you had me laughing like an idiot at my desk. LOL

Good luck to you from a fellow southerner.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hi Emily - It is a program where you learn to train to walk/jog/run a 5K. You can be a complete novice (Couch) and condition your body and train in 8-9 weeks to run a 5K.

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Above is a link that describes it more in detail.

Leslie,

Thanks so much for your reply! I know what you mean about the dark hair.. I feel like my scalp is gleaming white! I did get a hair cut last week, though, because when it's shorter, I at least don't shed as much.

Emily... if you'll look in the fitness threads, there is a Couch-to-5K thread that will tell you all about it. Basically, the short version is that it is a program that uses a combination of running and walking over several weeks which is supposed to take you from being a couch potato to the ability to run a 5K should you so choose.

well thanks yall :) I might try it out.. I am really scared about my hair its long and drk almost black I already have a problem with it falling out before surgery so I really hope I can keep my hair I have never had short hair in my whole life so I dont want to start now.

Missy - I have the thinning hair too. I think we only have to deal with this for a short few months. I figure I am losing more weight than hair so I can deal with it for a few months. I also keep my emotions in check when I think of a girl at my church who has undegone treatment for breast cancer and now the cancer has spread to her spine. She has a young family too. It make you think huh???

I to am doing the couch 2 5k (Hey Leslie) I have had trouble with my hip a month or two ago and had to have a cortisone shot. If you don't get any better soon go see a orthopedic doctor. It might be a simple fix (shot, exercise)

Anyway, good luck. It looks like you are on your way to a healthier you!!!

The eliptical works great and is a lot less stress on the joints. It definitely feels better on the body than running.

Well, I was a little concerned that the elliptical wouldn't provide as good a workout as the running... ahem... (waiting while those who have tried it before, pick themselves up after ROFL their A***S off!!).

Man alive, 15 minutes of that and I felt like I had Jello for legs!! And yes, Heather O., it was definitely less stress on my hip. I think I will try it every day for the rest of this week and see how my weight loss progresses. Then, I will definitely know for sure that I am not going to mess up a good thing! :) You just hate to change something that you know works, KWIM?!

Guest Leslie2Lose

((Picking myself up off the floor from LMAF!!!))...LOL

The eliptical machine is hard. I'm glad you were able to get a good workout off of it. I usually do it Tues/Thurs, running M/W/F. It kicks my bootay, but I enjoy it. Don't strain yourself or hurt yourself though. Take it easy if you need to.

Southern, technically the surgery didn't cause your hair loss, but the weight loss from the surgery did. Hair loss, if you have it from dieting, normally occurs around the 3 month mark (not sure if you said how long since your surgery/pre op diet). I am also dreading this.

You are doing an amazing job with your weight loss. I can not even imagine running....ugh...but I am jealous of people who do. I go to the gym everyday, but I don't run.

Crzy, Thanks for the input and the explanation.

Also, makes no difference what you do, just that you're doing something -- AWESOME JOB for making the effort to go to the gym!!

This was sort of my last ditch effort to lose weight and I was determined to go at it with everything I had. That's why I am terrified of not being able to run...it has been working and I just don't know if I could take a setback.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Southern Missy - I can understand where you are coming from. I've only been running for a little over a week. I love it. I have never ran in my life, but it's like an addiction. I can't say I love it when I'm trying to make it through each interval, but afterward it's like a high. I've never used narcotics, but boy I feel great afterward! It's the only comparision I can think of.

That is EXACTLY how I feel. Wow! You're right, in the midst of it, I'm telling myself what a freaking nut I am but when I'm done, I just am filled with this huge appreciation for myself and the fact that I was capable of doing it. I had never run before either nor had the desire to before LB but I just felt that I had to pull out all the stops because if this wasn't going to be successful, it wasn't going to be because of me!

I've heard a couple of people mention the hair loss, so I'm wondering if it isn't hormones trying to get back into balance?

As for the run, I took a quick look at the link and it sounds like it was designed for people who might have been a bit overweight but more unfit than anything. Maybe for someone who has had excessive weight for a long time (ooh pick me!) it might be too much too soon. Slow it down a little and let your body guide you to what it feels ready to do when.

Good luck with it all.