Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who got thru losing a lot of weight without much saggy skin?

I know there are different types of skin and different levels of elasticity. Is there anyone out there that lost 50-75 lbs or more without much need for surgery afterward to get rid of super saggy skin? Or..is it pretty much inevitable that if you lose 100lbs you're going to be flappy?

I know there are different types of skin and different levels of elasticity. Is there anyone out there that lost 50-75 lbs or more without much need for surgery afterward to get rid of super saggy skin? Or..is it pretty much inevitable that if you lose 100lbs you're going to be flappy?

thats a good question im also worried about saggy skin i have to lose over a 100 pounds i asked my Dr. and she said due to my age and the way my skin is i shouldn't have to much problem with saggy skin but i really think it is based on the person also how active they were b4 surgery because that also helps i doubt that a person that has to lose as much as i do will not have some sort of sag but i do plan to exercise as much as i can to try to diminish it but who know's im more interested in getting healthy and ill worry about the skin later lol Good luck

That really is a good question. I'm getting banded in 10 days and that same thing is running through my mind. Today...like an IDIOT, I watched this show on the discovery channel about weight loss surgery and the removal of the excess skin, wholy moly! That seemed way worse than the surgery we are heading into. I'm looking to lose 75 pounds and could possibly lose up to 100, so I'm concerned. I think I'll keep up the exercise and hope that does the trick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us!

thats a good question im also worried about saggy skin i have to lose over a 100 pounds i asked my Dr. and she said due to my age and the way my skin is i shouldn't have to much problem with saggy skin but i really think it is based on the person also how active they were b4 surgery because that also helps i doubt that a person that has to lose as much as i do will not have some sort of sag but i do plan to exercise as much as i can to try to diminish it but who know's im more interested in getting healthy and ill worry about the skin later lol Good luck

I have a theory about saggy skin. I'm a nurse so I have seen a lot of bodies of all different shapes and sizes, my best friend also let me see her skin after losing over 150 pounds. It makes sense to me that the more stretch marks you have the more saggy your skin will be after losing weight. For example I have stretch marks from my armpits to my elbow, I expect to have saggy arm skin once I loose weight. I also carry a lot of weight in my belly, I have stretch marks that are 8-10 inches long from my belly button up to under my boobs all the way across my tummy, I think my belly will sag a lot more than someone who does not have so many stretch marks on their tummy (like those lucky girls that carry their weight in their hips and thighs :thumbup:). So those are just my thoughts sorry if they are to graphic, or don't make any sense. I hope to know for sure what all that saggy skin will look like soon. Bring on the saggy skin!!!:teeth_smile:

Edited by Smartiegirl
I want to lose weight, not loose it (haha)

Ack, sorta. I dont really *need* PS but some would be nice, unfortunately my problem is more my bum, backs of thighs where there's real difficulty getting a decent result from cosmetic surgery anyway. My bum is so flat now! And my boobs are saggy.

But overall, I'm happy enough to put on a bikini. I'm just a bit flabby. Wish I could hop in an oven and shrink my skin 1/2 a size sort of thing. But after a 100lb loss, I'm very very happy with the result and would never swap the scars of a body lift for the problem I have.

I did carry my weight more in the hips and thighs and dont have any stretchmarks on my tummy (or anywhere really) despite 3 pregnancies. But before you kill me, I've had cellulite on the backs of my thighs since I was about 14.

I'm a lot like Jachut. I don't NEED plastic surgery, but I'd look a million bucks if I had it lol. I have stretch marks on my lower tummy from where my stomach kind of overhung, so thats a bit saggy. My boobs do hang a bit lower than I'd like for my age, but really I can live the way I am - it beats being 100 pounds heavier and I can easily get clothes that flatter my shape and hide my flaws now I'm smaller. I do have stretch marks on my hips and thighs so I wear little shorts over my bathing suit, and some in my arm pits so I don't wear a lot of sleeveless things, but those areas aren't nearly as bad as they could be. I think it REALLY differs from person to person, and where and how long you carried the weight. I've exercised pretty consistently since banding and while I don't think that helped with the sagging skin, it has helped give me better tone under the skin!

Hello everyone.

I am with you guys. I was banded on July 1st. I have lost about 27 lbs so far and just started exercising. I am very worried about the sagging skin but so far I dont have any more than before. I hope to exercise and tone daily and hopefully at my age (45) still have some elasticity. I might consider a breast lift if I look like the cover of National Geographic. LOL! I have my first fill on Aug 14th. I hope I have lost some inches too.

Edited by Annabell1

Great question. This was one of my primary concerns because I have approx 100 lbs to lose. Despite my weight gain I don't have any stretch marks (had my baby at age 20 when my skin elasticity was probably optimal). However, I believe there are several factors that determine whether we will have saggy skin i.e your skin type, genes, and how active you were before surgery. But, as importantly I believe we have to stick to the high Protein, high Fiber, low fat diet (whatever your surgeon prescribed) with tons of water/fluids to help with elasticity.

I've lost close to 100 pounds three times over the last 20 or 25 years (sad but true). When I was younger, I never had loose skin after losing the weight, except that my breasts never got perky again (not that they were ever that perky to begin with). I always exercised a lot when I was losing the weight.

Now that I'm older, and have put my body through the weight loss and gain so many times, I am expecting to not be quite as firm when I lose the weight, but I am hoping for the best. A few weeks ago I had a facial and the technician who inspected my skin told me my skin has a lot of elasticity. It's a hormonal thing. She was talking about my face but I'm hoping that bodes well for the rest of my body!

Yeah, my stretchmarks are mainly on my stomach and around my sides from being pregnant. I think there are a couple on the backside of my arms close to my armpits. Other than that its hard to tell where they all are because I'm so white, LOL! I carry the majority of my weight on my gut. I'm wayyy out of proportion. I have quite a bit of muscle under all my fat, just always been that way. I'm pretty sure that all my sagging will happen in those areas :eek:...

well I will say this.. not sure if its because I am young or what .. but I gained weight at 17 then lost almost all of it at 20 that was about 60 65 pounds I had no saggy skin.. I gained it back when I was about 23 until now I was banded 13 days ago and I hope not to have saggy skin.. we will see :eek:

Well now this post just sent me flying into the bathroom in front of a full length mirror for stretch mark inspection! I have lost 50lbs so far and have another 50 to go. So far--I'm not seeing sagging or wrinkled skin. I have some stretch marks under my arms toward the top of my arm, some around the outside of my hips, and some toward the top outside corners of my breast. I'm not seeing any on belly or thighs. The 50lbs I just lost is "newer" weight gained in the last 5 years. I'm concerned about the next 50 because it's older weight (a LOT older!) and I'm afraid that because it's been there for a long time -- my skin won't be as elastic for that fat as it has been for the first 50.

Does the age of your fat matter? I think sagging has more to do with how long you skin has been stretched in a certain area and how elastic your skin is...I may be wrong. Your fat cells are always there, always in the same place even since you were a baby. When you lose weight, those cells are just decreasing in size. The fat cells themselves aren't disappearing. They're just getting smaller. The only situation when fat cells are permanently removed is with liposuction or some other similar method. I don't think you're allowed to put links to other sites on here, but google "Skin Elasticity Test" and see if you can find a test that will help u determine how elastic your skin is. I'll see what I can find too :eek:

My mother lost 86 lbs from 56 to 60, her stomach didn't sag, but her face wrinkled. She thought if she had used good moisturizers when she was younger it would have made a lot of difference and I agree. I was a cosmetologist once, one of my many career exploits. I would suggest using good lotions as soon as your surgery is scheduled, or even sooner to help the elasticity. You can try the pinch test also on your hands, if it goes back to normal immediately you have good elasticity.. Hard to judge that sometimes if your overweight though because we have so much excess fat under the skin...

exercise and moisturizers and prayers.. thats my intentions!!