Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet

getthin, thank you for your reply. I'm still sweating it out and sticking to the plan and today, I was running to the bathroom every 10 mts, so I'm confident that something good is going on. LOL! I'm going to be patient, try to keep the sodium low, and wait till next week. I don't have to see the surgeon for a couple of weeks, so I'll hope for the best. Thanks!

recommendation for anyone who is looking for a yummy and easy Protein smoothie -- try starbucks chocolate banana vivanno. it's about 220 calories for 16 oz. if you ask for non-fat milk. 3 grams of fat and 21 grams on Protein.< /p>

i am not a Protein Drink fan nor a chocolate fan (i know, i'm a freak) but this is just damn tasty. and, as i am lazy, it's nice to know i can run out and pick up one instead of hauling out my blender.

I guess I am lucky - no liquid diet pre-op. However, I have been following the nutritionist recommendation for my food plan after banding. 1400 cal and 90 gm Protein per day. I have to admit the first week was tough, but I have gotten used to it. So far I am down 14 lbs since I met with her on June 30! :)

The hardest part was giving up caffeine - no more Starbucks stops in the morning. It does save money!

I am not looking forward to the liquid only phase. I have been trying different Protein shakes and trying to find what I like so I have options. I like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury products and Bariatric Essentials, not too bad, not too chalky!

Surprised to see that so many of you have very minimial if any pre-op diet. I met with the nurse today and she said 2 week pre-op diet of 800-900 calories. YAY! I was expecting it to be a 2 week liquid diet for some reason, so I guess there's an upside to things :) Surgery is August 7th... can't wait! Best wishes to everyone--glad to have such a good group of people!

I wish I had a tour of my favorite foods... the NP at my doctor's office scared me to death thinking I might get my surgery cancelled if I didn't loose any weight before my surgery. In four weeks I lost 37 pounds since I was so scared! I am glad I lost the weight, but I wish I hadn't been scared into doing it.

i hear ya! yesterday was just the worst for me! i couldn't get rid of my headache for anything. i upped my Protein and i know it's not from lack of caffeine. they said the amount i drink a day is fine. i think it's just such a shock to the system. plus we cleaned up a huge room at work...so i'm sure i burned a few extra calories...i just keep crossing off the days.

recommendation for anyone who is looking for a yummy and easy Protein smoothie -- try starbucks chocolate banana vivanno. it's about 220 calories for 16 oz. if you ask for non-fat milk. 3 grams of fat and 21 grams on Protein.

i am not a Protein Drink fan nor a chocolate fan (i know, i'm a freak) but this is just damn tasty. and, as i am lazy, it's nice to know i can run out and pick up one instead of hauling out my blender.

kristen, OMG! Starbucks has a protein smoothie? I'm so going tomorrow to check this out.

Red Jell-o? The only thing that shows up on a quick Google is a warning not to eat it the day before surgery since the doc will have difficulty differentiating between Jello gurk from an injury to your stomach and blood. I cannot imagine that jello isn't out of your stomach within the 12 hours you are fasting pre-op, but who knows. It may just all be an urban myth.

Red Jell-o? The only thing that shows up on a quick Google is a warning not to eat it the day before surgery since the doc will have difficulty differentiating between Jello gurk from an injury to your stomach and blood. I cannot imagine that Jello isn't out of your stomach within the 12 hours you are fasting pre-op, but who knows. It may just all be an urban myth.

I know from having a couple of colonoscopies that you can't have any red jello or red drink because it can stain your colon. Clear liquids only. Maybe that's why it stains your innards.

because i am nuts, i started my 2 week pre-op diet today. (3 days early).

two more hours until bed and i'll have successfully made it through day one. woo! 16 more days, two weddings and one birthday party to go.

in case anyone's interested i had the following today:

Breakfast

chocolate banana shake

(skim milk, banana, mocha powder, vanilla unjury)

2 grape flintstones Vitamins (dino shaped!)

lunch

starbuck mango orange banana vivanno with matcha green tea powder

snack

1 glass skim milk, about 2oz of the naked brain Protein drink (totally gross/chalky)

1 glass Emergen C pink lemonade (25 calories, sugar free, provides 1000mg of Vitamin C)

dinner

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1.5 cups broccoli, sauteed with .5 tsp olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper

(i also added in 1/4 cup of chicken broth to give it a lil bit of a buttery flavor)

1 glass Emergen C pink lemonade (25 calories, sugar free, provides 1000mg of vitamin C)

totals for the day...

calories: 971

carbs: 164

fat: 6 grams

protein: 75 grams

Wow I was never told to give up coffee, i was told to go on a low energy 600cal diet and im so not doing very well.

breakfast.......coffee.....Optifast Soup

Lunch.....egg on toast or egg and salad with weight watches cottage cheese (about tablespoon).

Dinner.... grilled steak or chicken breast (fit in my hand bits of meat...quite large) about 6 mushrooms all grilled with only seasoning added with salad or brocli and celery and another tablespoon of cottage cheese.

Through out the day ill drink coffee and Water and munch on carrots.

Does this sound good or should i cut back even more? Not used to doing this diet thing hence why im here LOL.

Would not have a clue on how to count cals.

I've been tracking my food, liquid and exercise through SparkPeople - I found it very helpful in keeping me on track and helping me make healthier choices. For example, I've substituted cucumbers for carrots as carrots = 52 cal per cup vs. cucumbers = 19 cal. per cup. As well, I've started to include more fish (particularly tuna). Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople has a list of standard foods with nutritional values and also allows you to add and track your personal favourites. I've never tracked my food before and know that I was making unhealthy choices - mainly because I was misinformed about the food and/or portion sizes - this tool allows me to make better choices. So far its working for me. I've been keeping to just under 1000 cal per day. I've also been walking 30-45 mins. each day. I've lost 9 lbs in 10 days.

Good luck to all....just a 8 more days for me!!!

I just started my pre-op diet today and it's going ok so far. My doctor has me on Atkins for two weeks though instead of liquids so I'm pretty happy. Anyone else on this type of program?