Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in Mexico and coming home less 1 organ!

I have a friend who knows a emergency room worker in a military hospital in San Antonio, TX.

She said a man came into the hospital really sick and when he said he had had lapband surgery in Mexico the month before, they assumed that he had some kind of infection or something.

When they opened him up they noticed that he was missing his pancreas.

I have no idea who the man is or if he didn't make it.

It must have been some black market sell.

My reason for posting this is to make it aware that this kind of thing can happen.

I almost went to Mexico to have my surgery. And have 2 friends who have had their surgeries in Mexico. They are both fine with no problems at all.

I am sure that most of the places are legit but......I would make sure that I had a operating room buddy with me to make sure this didn't happen to me!

HAHAHA!! That's an urban legend.

You can ask for an OR buddy but you aren't going to get it. Non medical/non staff are not permitted in the OR. And why in the world would you go to a doctor you couldn't trust to leave your pancreas alone? I mean, I realize urban legends scare you (??) but if you went to a doctor that you had to hire a babysitter for, why would you go to begin with?

Com'on .. this post can't be for real! Nobody believes this stuff.

Sorry guys but it is true.

I am not going to tell you my very good friend's name who told me about the person who told her about this incident.

I can't remember if my friend told me if the woman was a friend or a relative.

I am of the age of memory shortness problem. :wub::thumbup:

Yes, you can not live without a pancreas which is why the poor dude went to the hospital sick as a dog.

If your pancreas stops working you have to take meds and I believe be on dialyasis.

Like I said, I do not know if the poor guy made it or not.

The reason I wrote this is to recommend that people who go to Mexico have a "buddy" advocate with them in the operating room to make sure this doesn't happen to them and only go to highly recommended Dr.'s and Hospitals in Mexico.

Or go to Canada.

I almost went to Monterey, Mexico because my insurance would not cover my lapband.

We just did financing and stayed in San Antonio.

There are Dr.s in Mexico who have offices here in the US.

A great amount of these Dr.'s have their education in the US and are board certified and can operate here in the US too.

They just get to keep more $$$ in Mexico because they don't have to have malpractice insurance.

I have 3 friends who have had their surgeries in Mexico. 2 in Monterey and 1 in Peidris Negras.

They are all fine and doing well.

Wow, this would'a made big news. Show me the news articles on this one.

I'm telling you, you can't. You got played and fell for it! HA!

Wasa, that is exactly what i was thinking. If this happened, it would be in the news.

I am from the midwest, a very small town and believe me, I've heard all the horror stories about all the things that happen (suppossedly) in Mexico. But I have lived in a border town for 13 years, never have i heard about anything happening in real life. I got my band in Mexicali, I am still in one peice and very happy with the results.

Wasa, that is exactly what i was thinking. If this happened, it would be in the news.

I am from the midwest, a very small town and believe me, I've heard all the horror stories about all the things that happen (suppossedly) in Mexico. But I have lived in a border town for 13 years, never have i heard about anything happening in real life. I got my band in Mexicali, I am still in one peice and very happy with the results.

Can you imagine Dr. Aceves ... of all people ... stealing your pancreas?

He would be insulted at the mere suggestion, as would any medical professional.

Ahahaha!! Are you sure your friend's friend's friend didn't wake up in a strange hotel, in a bath full of ice and missing a kidney? LOL!

I can't beleave you would just beleave it to be true without question. oh, I have an island for sale really really cheap if your interested.(Oops i'm sorry that was just hateful) pre-op diet no food, must be getting to me.

YaYA, please don't get mad, most of us just think it's funny. it's not a shot at you. I just think everyone here just doesn't want to spread unnessary fear. some people beleave everything they hear and it wouldn't be fair to classify all surgery in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter like that. When you start a thread you open yourself up to everyones opinion sorry to say i think it's pretty childish to get mad when you hear something you don't like. you can agree or disagree but no need to get angry.

Yaya..it is ok. We are not making fun of you...we have fallen for these types of stories. It actually is a good post. It should make everyone wake up and check out these rumors before they believe them. It also should make everyone that is interested in surgery to investigate their doctor. There ARE quacks out there. I know Doctors that I wouldn't let operate on my dead dog.

Perhaps there is a ring of truth to your story. Perhaps they came back without their gallbladder...and it turned into a pancreas after the story was told a couple of times.

The pancreas regulates your blood sugar, no blood sugar=death. You receive a pancrease from a deceased donor. Maybe you should research what the pancreas does and you will see for yourself you can't live without one.

BTW, I have a kidney transplant.

again just want to reiterate this IS and has to be an urban legend. It is so similar to the story of the kidney that was stolen in a hotel room or some other dive. this is a delicate surgery and in order to be used as a transplant organ very specific protocol must be followed. there are too many things that simply can not be true in your story. Mexico was a truely awesome place to have a surgery. if i ever need another one of any kind i will go back unless it is an emergency. Not only did i have a lap band put in but i had a vasectomy at the same time, and i am proud to say that i am infertile (confirmed by a us lab). so for those of you wanting to or thinking of going to mexico. GO GO GO do not hesitate. best thing i ever did.

again just want to reiterate this IS and has to be an urban legend. It is so similar to the story of the kidney that was stolen in a hotel room or some other dive. this is a delicate surgery and in order to be used as a transplant organ very specific protocol must be followed. there are too many things that simply can not be true in your story. Mexico was a truely awesome place to have a surgery. if i ever need another one of any kind i will go back unless it is an emergency. Not only did i have a lap band put in but i had a vasectomy at the same time, and i am proud to say that i am infertile (confirmed by a us lab). so for those of you wanting to or thinking of going to mexico. GO GO GO do not hesitate. best thing i ever did.

Mexico is a great option WITH proper research! Same with US docs. Just because a doc is in the US doesn't make him any good. This holds true with any country.

Yes, yes... absolutely an urban legend. The story is absolutely impossible on many levels.

Dr are you sure you are not missing an organ? I heard there is a black market for penis transplants in Mexico!

Yaya:

Please do not let this post discourage you from exchanging your stories and experiences on here. Some of these people have been down right rude and a lot of the replies were uncalled for in my opinion.

I agree, EVERYONE should do their "homework" before selecting a surgeon and letting them perform a procedure.