Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

where's the PB?????

I know this is going to sound stupid and I probably have come by that reputation on this board already but here goes anyway. I don't PB.....Never have and don't think I ever will. When something gets stuck it stays stuck until it goes down. If I try to lube it up after the fact it just hurts worse so I have stopped doing that. I am sure most people who PB quite often may consider me lucky but in my view I would rather spit whatever it is back up rather than hurt like hell. I have literally stuck the ol finger down the throat trying to get it back up but to no avail. It ain't happening. Does anyone else experience the sme thing? Luckily I am learning the proper way to feed my band and don't have too many episodes like this anymore.

**Something has just occurred to me. After getting the band I never thought my life would be the same again. Feeling so constricted after surgery and in pain. But the ironic thing is that now, 4 weeks out, I sometimes literally forget I have the band and try to eat like I used too by taking huge bites. That is when I get the golf ball sized lump in my chest that will stay there for hours. Still no PB though.**

I have never PB's either, and consider myself lucky for not doing it. I have only had the golf ball one time and it was my fault, I didn't chew good enough and swallowed too soon. I knew the minute I swallowed it I shouldn't have, but it was too late. The dreaded golf ball lasted about 5 minutes and hurt like hell, but I am glad it didn't come back up!

I am the same way!! I het the golf ball feeling and it is like waves of pain. Luckily all of the episodes I've had have only laste a few minutes. I've never even had the sliming that lots of people talk about.

I used to think that you didn't have restriction unless you were pb'ing. It seemed like the pb was almost a validation that you were in fact restricted! Now I've discovered that I am restricted, but only when my mind is in the right place! If I'm eating properly I do get full fairly quickly, and that's a good thing since I'm filled to 2.5cc's in a 4 cc band!!!!!!!

I think we should feel lucky that we don't pb!

Monica

I think you are right about feeling lucky. I don't want to PB ever. With proper preparation and forethought it appears that I can avoid these episodes. What's funny is that the foods I have gotten stuck I tend to lose my appetite for them altogether even though it wasn't the food fault. Thanks guys.

I'm with you guys! I've never PB'd and I've never come close to it either. I've had things get stuck, but I don't have the pain, it just ... stuck. Mostly this one nasty med that I have to take.... but no golf balls... Thank the Goddess!

I've had the excessive salivation a couple of times but usually this only happens several hours after I've eaten, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

[knocking on a whole forest]

My husband PBs all the time, or gets the slimes what seems like ever time he comes to visit me. It might be the unexpected change in altitude (he always gets tighter when he comes to visit me) or he might still just be eating too big of bites.

As you get tighter and more fill, you may have a PB so be prepared and be careful after each fill , really concentrate on smaller bitesand chew chew chew :)

Good for you to all that have not experienced the dreaded PB, it is not fun!

It stands for productive burp, although, others refer to it as a slime attack. It's when the food you swallow doesn't make it to the stomach before it comes back.

Oh my gosh, please never ever stick your finger down your throat! When you PB, the food hasn't passed through to the bottom part of the stomach yet. A true PB is not vomitting. A PB comes from above the stomach when food can't pass through. For me, the food gets trapped somwhere near where you'd burp, deep in the esophogus. If you stick your finger in your throat, you may cause yourself to vomit from deep in your stomach, and the vomit would have to come up from the bottom, up through the pouch, which could cause slippage.

If you don't PB, consider yourself lucky. You probably are following rules better than some of us. I ONLY PB when I eat too fast, too much, or take too big of a bite.

Isn't the golf ball feeling in waves of pain and the slime a PB??? I thought it was.

Okay, this is my experience...

a real PB is when something stuck actually makes it back up...a mini-vomit, a bit of an involuntary heave is involved.

sliming is sliming. You can slime when something is stuck, or before you PB.

Stuck is when something won't go down for a minute, or more. You end up sliming, but it passes through and the discomfort is instantly gone. If you get stuck, then slime, then PB, it's a PB, not a stuck.

The golf ball happens when you get stuck. It lasts until you get unstuck by it passing on through or by PBing it.

So I guess you have stuck, golf ball, slime, all part of a PB but it isn't a PB unless you heave it back up.

Does that make sense? That's how I define it, I guess.

I have been having the golf ball effect every now and then. I still have not had a PB and I am happy. But this morning I got the golf ball effect really bad -- squeezing my chest and then without notice I slimed -- yucky, yucky but the golf ball feeling slowly started going away. So did I not chew good or what happened????

I just heard that for some people, for some reason, lying on one's left side might help dislodge food that's stuck. Who knows? Worth a try.

You know, whether we golf-ball, PB, slime, get something stuck, or just "ouch" for a minute, it's all the same thing going on. RESTRICTION. However it manifests itself in the particular moment or what we call the feeling doesn't really matter. The point is that our bands are telling us we are either eating too much, too fast, or taking bites that are too large.

Personally, I'd rather PB and get the episode over with than have the sliming thing going on with something stuck for possibly a long time. A PB gets whatever it is out of the esophagus/pouch/stoma, and though it might have been unpleasant at least it's OVER. I see a PB as the culmination of any situation in which something that can't go down has to go somewhere. Better to have it come back up than sit in my esophagus or stoma, irritating and painful, until it either dislodges or dissolves.