Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I'm on day 6 of my 8 day pre op diet. My surgery is Thursday. I am sooo sick of the repetitive liquid regimen that I've lost my appetite. I'm sure some of it is nerves, but right now I'm too tired and weak to care. I simply don't want anything. The thought of putting anything else in my body makes me gag-literally. Has this happened to anyone else? Istead of starving, I'm going the other way.:confused2:

Its been a while but I think I was similar. I was on an all sugar free liquid (plus sugar free Jello) pre-op diet. I remember I kept waiting for the hunger to kick in, and it did at first but it never reached the level I expected. You know the I'm ready to rip a stranger's head off and eat it raw stage. Instead I remember not really being hungry at all and to this day I'll be happy if I never eat another bite of Jello in my life.

Good luck and stay strong. The pre-op diet is important to help shrink your liver before surgery but try to force those fluids down you. You don't want to be dehydrated for surgery.

Hi - actually I do know what you are talking about. I am only on day 4 on my 10 day liquid pre-op diet and I have started feeling that very way lately. Its not like I'm not hungry exactly, it's just the idea of what I can have being so unappetizing that I just don't want to bother. And I am more tired than usual. A little listless. So you are NOT alone!!

I have found that one big relief was sugar free Jello. I'm not even wild about the taste or anything, but it really helps with the actual EATING craving. Like the actual using teeth and swallowing. Plus I have bulked the Protein Shakes up by blending it with ice, which also helps some. AND I use a straw which also helps me (although I am weird anyway :cursing:)

But the main thing is that you are SO CLOSE!! Man, you are so close you can taste it! Heck, you are so close I can taste it!! I know hang in there seems trite and unhelpful, but........ hang in there! :(

I have also found that spending all my time on this site and ignoring my children helps. Well, I try not to ignore them REALLY, but seriously I spend a lot of time on this site right now and that has helped me maintain focus on what I am doing and why. Otherwise, I would try distraction. Have your shake while watching a specific TV show, or reading a good book, or whatever so that you aren't focusing on the actual drink. I know that is the opposite of what you are supposed to do after the band, but just for now to get through the liquid pre-op part, it might help.

Finally, take a nice hot shower. That worked wonders for me yesterday afternoon. I was crying and just couldn't seem to get beyond it. And I went in the shower and cried harder. And then after a little while the warm Water just helped calm and relax me and I got clean and felt better - more in control. Then go to a website that is really funny - whatever makes you laugh, (this one is pretty popular LOLCATS.COM - Funny Lolcat Pictures) or a really funny TV show or whatever and try to get lost in something funny. Then I went to bed and let me tell you - I feel so much better today. I mean, this still sucks big time, but I am not feeling so lost and overwhelmed like I was yesterday. I hope this helps!! Good Luck and you are going to be GREAT! :eek:

Hang in there Stephanie, you are so close now--JUST TWO DAYS!!!. I remember too well how difficult the pre-op diet was and I truly sympathize with you (((HUGS))). sugar free popsicles were a lifesaver for me, it was the closest I could get to actually chewing something without cheating. What are you eating (drinking)? What kind of diet are you on (low carb, low cal etc.) Maybe we can recommend something new that you will be able to tolerate. I promise it will get easier and in the end you will be so proud of yourself... it will all have been worth it in the end. Just be sure to take your Vitamins and take it easy for these last two days.

I also made my Jello in different ways to give me different textures.

Something as simple as stirring it up into little pieces after it has completely chilled or whipping it up with an electric whisk into a kind of mousse after it has started to cool can help to give your mouth some different textures to "eat".

Hang in there Stephanie, you are so close now--JUST TWO DAYS!!!. I remember too well how difficult the pre-op diet was and I truly sympathize with you (((HUGS))). sugar free popsicles were a lifesaver for me, it was the closest I could get to actually chewing something without cheating. What are you eating (drinking)? What kind of diet are you on (low carb, low cal etc.) Maybe we can recommend something new that you will be able to tolerate. I promise it will get easier and in the end you will be so proud of yourself... it will all have been worth it in the end. Just be sure to take your Vitamins and take it easy for these last two days.

I'm on clear liquid, low card, and low cal. I'm making myself drink my Isopure, that's about the only thing that doesn't make me wretch. I'm trying to take it easy, but my panic is also setting in. I'm scared. I know I'll be ok though. Thanks to all for your support.

Yikes!! DOn't give up, oh please oh please!!!!I am on my first day of my 14 day pre-op shake-filled tongue boredom. It is already testing my patience. Yuck! I'm such a carb-craver that my body is threatening to revolt. My kids are eating mac & cheese and ice cream. I get shakes and lettuce with calorie-free dressing. Oh YUM!! Don't give up though. You will end up inspiring me!!!!!

I also made my Jello in different ways to give me different textures.

Something as simple as stirring it up into little pieces after it has completely chilled or whipping it up with an electric whisk into a kind of mousse after it has started to cool can help to give your mouth some different textures to "eat".

If Jello is on your allowed list :confused_smile:

Pre op and not post op (I wouldnt recomend it post cause it makes it more solid) you can also use half the recomended amount of Water when making up the sugarfree jello giving it a more thicker consistency, I used to make the kids cookie cutter jello thingys that way. Or get a bunch of flute type wineglasses (or any old glass honestly) and do layers of 2-3 flavors.