Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I stumbled across this forum whilst doing a search about regurgitation and coughing! I have been looking for just this type of place in vain for a while. THe post op care I get here in France is pretty minimal and I have so many questions!

I am a 37 SWF who lives in south-west France. I had a gastric band fitted last August and have lost 30 kilos to date. I only started losing weight after my 3rd fill at Christmas. I have had quite a few problems with the band but I have lost lots of weight so I can't really complain. I am plateaued out at the moment but this is pretty self-enforced as I have been trying to feed myself up a bit after nearly passing out from malnutrition!!!

Anyway, I am looking forward to looking up all my problems and hopefully helping some people out with theirs too.

Charlotte

Welcome to LBT.

Congratulations on the weight loss so far. I'm a bit concerned about your saying you were feeling like you weren't getting enough nutrition earlier but glad you are taking steps to correct any deficiencies.

We aren't medical experts but we are all on the same journey and are more than welcome to give our opinions.

I found it very difficult to eat after I had my fill at Christmas, being sick all the time etc. Anyway, it settled down a bit and I was a lot better. Then it got worse again and my diet was so restricted and I threw up at least once a day. This went on for a while but I didn't care because I was losing weight and still felt fairly healthy. However, things caught up with me when I was doing a fairly physical job outside in temperatures of 30 degrees plus. I kept nearly fainting and drinking lots of Water I think flushed nutrients out. I spent 2 weeks having to do nothing and just trying to eat anything I could however calorific. I am starting to feel OK now but still a bit weak. I think maybe a lot of my muscle tissue is gone or weakened. The big problem now is the regurgitation and coughing at night which drives me insane and stops me sleeping which makes me ratty!!! I am going to see the doctor to talk about taking some liquid out of the band. It was this site that gave me the information I was looking for and the relief I feel that other people have had the same problem and, more importantly, have a solution. I have been floundering around in the adrk for so long, it is such a relief to find this site.

It sounds like you are on the right track, going in to see your doc. I suspect you are a little over filled. I've lived with an overfill before myself. Despite all the info I received from my local support group and here online I let it go for too many months happy I was still losing at first then too afraid to go back in for an unfill and risk re-gaining what I'd lost. But I have to tell you when I finally did get a proper unfill it was such a relief. I no longer have the coughing or reflux at night and don't have to sleep with 7 pillows propped under me any more. It has been wonderful. And so far (touch wood) I haven't regained any weight infact I think I may have lost another pound after months of plateauing and slowly gaining a few pounds.