Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Light Crab Cake Recipe?

Anyone have one? I know I remember someone talking about making them. I just tried to make them and they were more like a crab omelet (too much egg). I used crab, parmesian chesse, a little light mayo, little bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1 egg. I've never made them before and I was just throwing stuff together cause I was craving it. I need a better recipe!! LOL

You shouldn't need egg to hold them together -- or if you do, you shouldn't need more than a tablespoon or so.

I googled low fat crab cake recipes and came up with a ton, you might want to do the same and just find one that looks good to you.

I usually saute chopped onion, garlic, and celery till soft and combine with light mayo, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and a little old bay till the crab cakes hold together lightly. I'm not really worried about them being terribly portable.

Sometimes I'll do the bread-soaked-in-milk trick if I don't have breadcrumbs.

Basically IMO crab cakes should be pretty simple and mostly crab.

Armywife, would you post that recipe? It sounds DELISH!

I tried making a tuna cake the other day and it didn't turn out so well. I bought some prepackaged crab cakes from Winn Dixie last week and all you have to do is bake them. They really didn't taste like they had that much crab in them though. It didn't stay together and had a mushy consistency.

Lunanoir, I may try to make your recipe, but what is old bay? Is that the brand of crab meat you use?

Old Bay is a seasoning mix especially for seafood:

McCormick Product Detail - OLD BAY® Seasoning

Also, if you buy canned crab from the seafood counter -- the refrigerated, pasteurized 1lb cans that need to be refrigerated (Trader Joe's has them, so does my local grocery store) most of them will have a very simple recipe on the can.

The secret to a good crab cake is lots and lots of crab and just a little bit of everything else. Get it fresh cooked from the fish counter at your market rather than in a can unless you can find some of the blue crab in a can (it's expensive but soooo worth it). The rest of the stuff is just to hold the crab together and give it some seasoning. You might want to try a small dollop of fat-free yogurt instead of the mayo (I like the Greek strained variety called Fage which is more like sour cream and very creamy even though it's fat free and holds up better in cooking) and ease way back on the eggs. Use very finely grated bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, just enough to hold the crab together. Old Bay seasoning is traditional, but if you can't get that, try Bell's Seasoning. It's similar in many respects. It comes in a little yellow box.

BadgerMom

1 lb fresh mushrooms

7 oz crabmeat, canned or fresh picked: not imitation

4 green onions, thinly sliced

1/4tsp. dried thyme

1/4tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. ground savory frsh gound black pepper

1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese

1/3 c. Mayonnaise

3 T. grated parmesan cheese

1/4 tsp. paprika

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat (rinse if using canned), green onions, herbs and pepper. Mix in mayonaise and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese until well combined. Regrigerate filling until ready for use. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems. Spoon out the gills and the base of the stem, making deep cups. Discard gills and stems. Fill the mushroom caps with rounded teaspoons of filling, and place them in an ungreased shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops with parmesean and paprika. Bake for 15 min. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

serving 2 mushrroms. 130 calories, 9 grams Proteins, 3 grams carbs, and 10 grams fat.

Sorry to take so long. Try this:

about 12 oz or so of crab meat (get the best you can afford)

1 egg, beaten

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt

1/4 - 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)

1/4 cup crushed saltines or breadcrumbs

salt and pepper to taste

onion and garlic powder to taste

The measurements are approximate. What you want is just enough bread or cracker crumbs and enough egg and yogurt to hold the crab together and to create a crab cake that is mostly crab. I would suggest adding about half of the egg, crumbs, and yogurt to all the other ingredients and see if you can shape it with your hands. If it's still crumbly, add some more, but don't let the cake get sloppy. Keep it really firm. Don't make them too big or they'll break when you're cooking them.

Fry the cakes on a lightly oiled griddle or cast Iron frying pan over medium heat until they are nicely browned, turning once or twice. I like mine with lemon, but others may prefer tartar sauce.

Be careful that you pick out any bits of shell in the crab. Sometimes you might find it in canned crab.

2 tablespoons light Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons minced green onion (green part only)

2 tablespoons finely minced red bell pepper

½ teaspoon yellow mustard

1 teaspoon finely minced fresh parsley

2 tablespoons egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters

1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning

1/2 pound lump crab meat

3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs

1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

Cooking spray Dipping sauce (recipe follows)

clikEnlarge.gif07-29-2008.142200_nh_29crabcakes.GBJ2EO4P6.1.jpg FERNANDO SALAZAR/Wichita Eagle

Light mayonnaise, egg substitute and crispy panko crumbs add up to crab cakes with at least half the fat of restaurant versions.

Put the first seven ingredients into a bowl. Blend with a whisk. Fold in the crab meat and plain bread crumbs.

In a muffin tin, lightly coat eight muffin cups with cooking spray, then fill cups with equal amounts of crab mixture. Press down lightly on each crab cake so that the top is flat.

Cover muffin tin with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour. Then try to take one of the crab cakes out of the tin. If the crab cake doesn't stay together firmly, put the muffin tin in the freezer for 10 minutes.

After crab cakes are chilled, preheat oven to 400 F. Fill a shallow dish with panko bread crumbs. After removing each crab cake from the muffin tin, roll it in panko until coated.

Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, then place each crab cake on the baking sheet. Lightly coat the top of each crab cake with cooking spray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the coating is crispy and lightly browned. Serve immediately with the sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Dipping sauce: Combine ¼ cup light mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons chopped dill pickle slices, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, ½ teaspoon finely minced fresh parsley, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon powdered cayenne, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Cover and chill sauce until serving.

PER SERVING (2 cakes): Calories 198 Fat 9 g Cholesterol 40 mg Sodium 929 mg Carbohydrates 14 g Protein 16 g

SOURCE: Adapted from Top Secret Restaurant recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur

I haven't tried this yet but printed it out to try it when i get the chance!