Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Books/articles about lapband?

My doctor mentioned to me at my appt this week that I should consider lapband. I went to the library to find more information and was disappointed to find that most books focused on gastric bypass, and there was very little on lapband. Anyone have suggestions on reliable books to peruse before I pursue this?

FYI..I attended an orientation about 3 years ago for gastric bypass, when I decided that it really wasn't an option for me.

Prior to my July 2 lapband surgery, I read a book called "Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding" by Jessie H. Ahroni, Ph.D. The author (a woman) is a nurse practitioner who had the lapband surgery in 1998 and she talks about the procedure, her experience, etc. It also tells some stories about other people who had the procedure done and what to expect before and after surgery. It's a great book and I highly recommend it. I don't know if you will be able to find it at the library, but any big bookstore should have it. I think that this book is a must read for anyone considering lapband surgery.

A gentleman in another thread mentioned a book called "Weight Loss with the Adjustable Gastric Band"...I forget who the author is. I was actually going to go out and purchase it myself.

I don't have any good books to offer, but I have some webpages that helped me quite a bit:

LAP-BAND: Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery | Procedure

Lap-Band Surgery - Consumer Guide to Weight Loss Surgery

Lapband.com - How It Works

Gastric Banding and Lap Band Surgery for Weight Loss

They all offer pretty good info on the lap-band.

Hope this helps!

A gentleman in another thread mentioned a book called "Weight Loss with the Adjustable Gastric Band"...I forget who the author is. I was actually going to go out and purchase it myself

I think you might be talking about the book that I have. It's "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Robert Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. I loved this booked! It has a lot of great stories in it and tons of helpful information. Not sure if you can get it in the book stores or not. I ordered mine off Amazon. It wasn't that expensive either!!

Sounds to me like some of ya'll that have been through it should start writing a book or put a book together with a bunch of ya'lls success stories. I'd buy it!! LOL

Jess, yes, that's the book and I know that another user, Georgebals, talks about it all the time and how it's helped him. I ordered it from Borders.com and am waiting with bated breath for it to arrive. I'm glad you enjoy it also. I did look for it at Borders and couldn't find it. Anything to help and I do enjoy listening to stories from others who have gone through the experience, especially if they are funny.

My doctor's office sent me the best preop education material via email. I tried to just go to the site and see the presentation but you need a code to view it. The presentation link was sent directly to me and I had to verify my info to view it. It is very informative and great a great preop education tool. If you have already selected a surgeon, perhaps they can access this website for you. I will check with my doctors office and see if there is a way to get the link to the forum. :biggrin2:

Edited by Mamacj
New information discovered.

I think you might be talking about the book that I have. It's "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Robert Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. I loved this booked! It has a lot of great stories in it and tons of helpful information. Not sure if you can get it in the book stores or not. I ordered mine off Amazon. It wasn't that expensive either!!

I picked this book up today at Barnes and Noble. Looking forward to reading it.

I have 3 books that I just got from Amazon:

Weight loss surgery for Dummies

Laproscopic adjustable banding:Achieving permanent weight loss with minimally invasive surgery

Exodus from obesity: The guide to long term success after weight loss surgery

Hi,

I like the book that a nutritionist recommended. It's called "Lap-Band For Life, The Complete Patient Guide to Success with the Lap-Band." The author is Ariel Ortiz Lagardiere. I ordered this book plus another from Amazon. com. I can't find the second book right, I think my grandkids ditched it somewhere! Lisa