Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I have to stop losing weight WTH!

When I started this process I was 267 and I am 5"6 that was about 2 months ago. I am now at 242 I thought I would get a jump on the weight loss but now I am under 40 Bmi and Healthnet HMO will only approve Bmi 40 or over with no comorbiodities or 39 and under with 2 co morbidities. I have no comorbidities.I just got the call from the doctor for my group meeting tommorow and my appt with the surgeon on July 21st. Thank goodness I asked what happens if I lose more weight before I get with the surgeon on July 21st she said more than likely they would not approve me. I am really bummed that I have to stop losing weight on my own and I might have to put on 3-5 lbs to be at a 40 BMI. Has anyone heard of this? or gone through this, it just seems that this is a little a**backwards to me!!:confused2::thumbup:

Edited by cella

Yes, I had to MAKE SURE I didn't loose any weight before they approved me. I had a BMI of 39.5 which tricare went ahead and approved because it was so close to 40, and I have no comorbities. I have heard of several people who actually had to regain weight before approval. Don't worry, after approval, you can loose as much as you want, and they will still do surgery.

I think your best bet would be to get back to 40 BMI. My surgeon said after the initial meeting I can lose as much as I want, but I need to be at the right point at that time or there will be trouble.

I don't think that gaining is a good idea. However, I understand that insurance hoops are holding you back. If I were you, I would wear pants with big pockets and figure out a way to shove paper weights in all places possible--even your bra. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck to you.

I agree with the wearing of heavy pants and filling your pockets. I have even heard of people putting a roll of quarters in each pocket!

Yes. I to was told to gain weight before my insurance would approve me and I listen to my doctor but I wish I posted this problem on this forum because once I started to gain some weight back it was hard for me to go and try to lose what I just gain so I would highly suggest that you take the advice of the others and just put paper weight of a roll of quaters in your pocket, plus you worked so hard to lose the weight why would you want to try to gain it back.

Have a good day

yes when i went to the seminar there was a young lady who's bmi was 40 the dr advized her to not lose anymore weight or the insurance would not pay for it if u do lose more weight you will have to gain some in order for your insurance to pay

I also had to gain weight to meet the BMI requirement, but you have some time and there are some tricks. First of all your BMI is based on your weight and height. Generally you will have to take off your shoes but be careful when you get measured. Most people straighted themselves up to be the tallest they can, don't do that because even just half and inch can make a difference. Wear jeans instead of shorts b/c they are heavier. Wear a shirt that goes over your pockets so you keys, cell phone, or anything else in your pockets are not noticeable. Just before your appointment eat a meal and drink as much as you can. I even continued to drink from the doctor's Water fountain as I sat in the waiting room.

I know eating up sounds strange and many will discourage it and I would too if a person has to gain 10 plus pounds but when you are talking only a few pounds, what's the big deal. In the past every time I diet I eventually gain it all back plus some more. When I'm on a diet I never fill full. I hate dealing with always feeling hungry. The lap band will help me fill full sooner and after only a small amount of food. So gaining a few pounds so my insurance will pay for it was completely worth it, plus I saved over 16,000. My wallet is also glad. And now after I enjoyed all my favorite foods I'm prepared to start the two week liquid diet. In a strange way I feel like I had the opportunity to say good-bye to my old life style.

Plus, remember the doctor wants to give you the surgery, he/she wants to help you. It is the insurance companies that have created these BMI requirements.

From the voice of experience:

Do you like Chinese food? Eat a health high sodium dinner the night before and start drinking lots of Water. It will hold the Water weight and will be easier for you to loss after your appointment.

Again heavy clothing and ach your back way out when you get measured so you will be alittle shorter.

Isn't this all rediculous! Life is a game, and you have to know the rule if you want to win!!!!!

I have a low BMI and had to be self pay - but I still had to not loss weight prior to my first appointment with the surgeon. Even with self pay the docs have a weight minimun.