Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok Pb and slimming:frown: sounds horrible and yucky. I am getting banded on 7/25 and I am not looking for to anyone of those things (PB and Slimming). So can somebody please let me know what it is, and how to avoid it happening. :thumbs_down:

If something gets "stuck" your bodies response is to lubricate it and help it go down. That is what the "slime" is. It has been described, somewhat acurately, as hurling a jelly fish. PBing is "Productive Burping" or in most cased just plain old vomiting but not quite as nasty since it comes from higher up and is not mixed with as much stomach acid etc.

The best way to avoid it is to follow the rules. Eat small quantities and chew it well. Unfortunatley there is a learning curve and the likelyhood of avoiding this all together is about 0. Some people are very bothered by PBing and will do anything to avoid it. Others, such as myself, are not overly put off by it and tend to push the limits far too much. in any case it is not as bad as you imagine and it is not an obstacle that can't be dealt with.

Good luck on your journey

Craig

Thank you for asking those questions. And Craig, that you for answering them. I too had no idea what people were talking about.

I was filled on wed up to 3.0 from 2.7, I was fine that night. This morning at work I drank half cup of coffee and had a breath mint. I started sliming pbing, puking choking wretching.I had to leave work. I had to use towels and plastic bag home. I then went to the Dr and finally after doing this for 6 hours he removed all the fill to let my stomach and esophogus rest and the swelling go down. It was so painful. It was a horrible day. Anyway just wanted to share it with people who know what I am talking about.

I can tell you all about this gross part of the band business b/c my dh was banded last Sept. He can eat two or three bites of something and then the fourth bite gets hung and it has to come up.

He says you KNOW when something is hung. He usually gets up and tries to walk around, or if no one is watching he jumps up and down:tongue_smilie:. Either it will go on down or he has to throw it up.

There are times he eats things that he knows better than to eat and there are times things get hung for no reason. He is not a very graceful or delicate puker, but he looks and feels amazing!!

I am getting my band on Aug. 6th so I can join him when he does the bunny-hop in our kitchen!! Good luck to everyone!

Anna

eep thats the only..terrifying part of this eh...i hope i can handle it, it'll probably become routine and a learned part of avoiding that situation..

It is a terrific form of aversion therapy!!!

In reality though, if you do eat small bites, chewed well, and stop when you no longer feel hungry, rather than pushing for the full feeling, PB's can be avoided.

I choose not to be super tightly restricted, and have had 2 real PB's in the 2+ years I have been banded. I can eat all foods, I just had to learn to seriously chew my food, and take smaller bites! When I forgot.....is when the PB's happen!

Incidentally sliming is not something limited to banded people. My husband who is not banded, and not overweight, choked on a piece of chicken. It went down past his trachea so he could breath, but he could not swallow anything, including his own spit! And he slimed just like a true bandster!!!

It is a NORMAL response of the body when it thinks we need help passing something. The problem for most of us is that the reason we befin sliming is that we are over full--either because we ate too much or because we swallowed a bite that is too big to pass easily. So there is nowhere for all the slime to go----spitting it is the best option. If you attempt to swallow it, it IS going to all come back up. Slime is tasteless, just a VERY thick saliva. And you will be shocked at how much of it you can produce!

I as I say have chosen to stay fairly loose in my restriction, and have always been able to eat what I consider a healthy amount of food. I feel like I need more nutrition than what I can get in a few bites of food. So it has taken me 2 years, to lose the weight, but I did it!!! And if I can------------anyone....everyone CAN!

Kat