Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wear a medical id bracelet?

We just got our bracelets from www.laurenshope.com and they are really beautiful! The note with them said no bathing/swimming, but I e'mailed them and they said most people wear them 24/7. If they stretch out from Water they'll replace free within 6 months and after that, $10.00. I think that's a good deal! I highly recommend this site, & the bracelets came quickly too!

i haven't got one yet. I thought I might though...this site has some nice ones.

http://www.hahoriginals.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/66

I am a bandster as of 5/18, I am also a Bracelet maker. I would love to come up with something just for us bandsters for medical id's. I make everything out of genuine accessories (i.e- swarovski crystals, sterling silver, gold etc....) If anyone is interested I will come up with something special and have alot cheaper rates than these others.

Sherri

I would LOVE to wear one; but so many, until Lauren's Hope, were horrid looking. If I could afford it, I would have one for every outfit. Something tasteful...something durable like sterling silver and 14K gold, and oh yes...has to have some PURPLE in it!!! I am a PURPLE-holic!!! Does that help at all?

Thanks Sherita!

Good idea Trish!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. Is there a certain procedure you will need to go to for the ID part? Are they copyrighted or can anyone buy them. I would love to wear one but till LaurensHope they were all so horrid looking. I would want a few to change with outfits....but they have to be durable, strong, maybe sterling silver or 14K gold. Maybe that is why the price is so high. Let me know ....maybe you can start your own LBT Bracelet business...made to order by Trish!!!

Nancy

Nancy, I found a place in the mall here where I am that sells the Bracelet and they ingrave it for you. It thoes really plain ones, but i figured I can make the beaded part and use the ID tag. then I can make diffrent colors and interchange them. I bought a beads to make my first one and it totaled 8.00 and the bracelet im buying is 12.00 plus 7.95 per line engraved. Im thinking thats not to bad. Just an idea!

on May 17 my 19 yr old daughter was in a very bad auto accident and had to be airlifted to the Trauma I hospital. Her wallet did not go with her in the helicopter, we had to pick it up from the police station. I'm definately going to order a tag.

By the way she is going to be fine, well after a long recovery. She broke her pelvis in 6 places and has scapes and bruises all over. We go back to the hospital tomorrow for her first follow-up visit and more x-rays. I'm hoping this doesn't delay my lapband date at the end of June.

This is a two part message. First,I am glad you daughter is going to be okay luvracing. That's really scary.

Since I am an ebay addict I checked there as well. They have medic alert bracelets and necklaces. I admit they aren't all excatly stylish but they would do the trick. There were several cute ones though too.

OK, here's my super-cheap alternative: Go to Petsmart/Petco and make your own charms, suitable for a necklace or Bracelet, for $4! Most of the charms can hold 3-4 lines, and the engraving is free. Of course, you might have to wear a metallic bone or fire hydrant, but at least they come in a lot of different colors. :(

For the do-it yourselfers, I just ordered a tag from: www.DiabeticDrugStore.com. I put my name, see card in wallet, Lap Band Patient and a medication allergy on mine. I"m going to make a few different bracelets for mine. I like doing stuff like that.

Just another idea, Cindy

Hi, I am also an EMT and just wanted to add some random thoughts.

If you buy a "medic-alert" Bracelet, try to avoid the ones that look like fancy jewelry, those may be passed off as jewelry and not noticed until later or not at all.

In a serious emergency, a necklace or wrist bracelet will be noticed well before an ankle bracelet.

If you have other health problems, consider subscribing with a company that will provide you with a bracelet/necklace that has their "800" number on it with a patient ID number, with no specific medical information. In an emergency the medical staff calls the 800 number and they provide a detailed medical history, your medications, insurance information, doctor's names, and emergency contact information. Aside from the obvious advantages here, the information can be continuously updated by you, so the information is always current and you don't have to keep buying new tags when your conditions change. The mere presence of a tag will prompt an experienced medical professional to check a wallet for more information.

So just adding a medical alert charm to my charm Bracelet is a bad idea? My dog has this little tube thing that you look in the end and it has quite a bit of information in there. Is very small, wonder why the medical aleart people don't do this and put a bit a medical alert symbol on the side of it.

Melissa

I found the cheapest ones at www.Americanmedical-id.com

They also seem to have the most room for engraving information. Mine said my name, adj gastric banding, no tubing without scope, my doc's office name and phone number, plus allergy to penicillin. Most of the others couldn't fit all the info I wanted.

I got two stainless steel bracelets for $48.90 and that was on a rush order.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I seriously need to get a Bracelet or necklace done up for myself. I have been banded over a year now and still have nothing.

I think I'll look on Ebay and see what they have. I'm also going to contact a fellow LBTer about possibly making me one for cheap too.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I especially like this one:

Gastric Lap Band

If tubing Required

MUST Use Scope

my surgeon provided me with an ID card for my wallet. Who would think to look through my wallet for medical information though. Come to think of it, I actually have it behind my credit card, I'd better place it face showing just in case. The Bracelet sounds more reliable.

I can't believe I didn't think about this! My DH is an EMT and he didn't think about it either! I'm going shopping for one today!