Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins v/s South Beach

Atkins is less carbohydrates than the South Beach..l have done Atkins many times and always feel great while on it..its just hard to maintain so few carbohydrates forever...Atkins is high protein....

Kelly,

Atkins is more aggravating to the kidneys than South Beach is. We need complex carbs in our daily intake also. Once you begin to eat carbs on Atkins you begin to gain weight. I lost 55 lbs. on Atkins and then gained 75 lbs. once I stopped eating Atkins. I missed eating carbs and then began my bad habits again. Atkins was my last DIET before I had my band and now I eat normal now and it isn't dieting anymore. Try it on your own. You know the healthy foods to eat and with the band you will be eating less anyway so just try it on your own. You can do it.

Josephine

Thanks, I have looked at the carb count on stuff in my pantry and I was shocked. Even alot of veggies have carbs. I love fruits and veggies, so I think I'll stick to high Proteins, fruits, and veggies. LOL

I think it really comes down to personal fit. When people say Atkins it really seems that most people are thinking of his induction phase which limits to 20 carbs a day and is just 2 weeks but many people elect to stick with it. There are in fact 3 more stages with higher carb counts. A compete literature search in Pub Med on low carb studies for the past 4 years pretty much demonstrates both the safety and benefits of all low carb diets and Atkins is the most studied of them. Nevertheless, it is hard for most people to continue at 20 carbs a day for a longtime. It has also been shown that it really isn't necessary to be that low unless you are particularly insulin resistant. In addition, many people, especially people over 50 tend to get very low energy, have brain fog, and irritability on only 20 carbs. That is why I think it's a matter of personal preference. Try to find out where you respond best to low carb eating. Which type of low carb can you stick to? Which one do you feel best on? Which one works best with your lifestyle? That is the one that will work best for you.

I have tried both diet plans. This is all pre-band.

When I stuck with Atkins as it is written in the book I had a lot of success, lost 80 pounds. You should read both books. As mentioned in an excellent post above, there are 3 phases to Atkins. My mom has maintained a significant weight loss for several years following the Atkins plan. She is in the maintenance phase, she eats whole grains (in moderation), fruits and vegetables (to her hearts content.) She steers clear of complex carbs.

I was able to tolerate 30-40 carbs a day and loose up to 2-3 pounds week, that is still very low carb count that doesn't include high carb/starchy vegies or a lot of fruits, I did have berries and nuts. The induction phase is 20 carbs a day for 2 weeks, if you have insulin issues, you will feel amazing (hunger goes away) but it gets REALLY old after awhile. I don't think that induction was ever intended to be long term.

I maintained my Atkins weight loss for 2 years, the longest I was ever able to succeed with an eating plan.

South beach was not as easy for me to stay on because my carbs were too high for me to avoid having cravings. I also felt the initial 2 weeks on South Beach seem a lot like the initial 2 weeks on Atkins. I almost felt it was a copy of Atkins only they switched a few things up.

Hope that helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches