Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesterday-OMG do I hurt

Hello all. I was banded yesterday and got out of the hospital today. I cannot bend down. Its very hard to sit down or get up. My throat and neck muscles are sore and I have trapped gas which is making my chest/shoulder/back hurt. Generally I feel like I was run down by a truck. :o It was a lot rougher than I thought! Its done, now, though, no turning back!

My name is Kim....Oh, I am sorry to hear that but I do understand...I had surgery on the 30th...I am getting around great, but I am extremely sore....I'm not having much problems with gas but I am having pain in my epigastric area radiating to my back...I have never, not ever had any problems with high blood pressure....since surgery I am running 160/106 to 154/98...at first i thought it was due to pain but when i took pain med it barely dropped.....I called my doctor who hasn't even returned my call...I do not have A PCP so I am going to have to go get this taken care of....I am actually starving to death too! Are you?

I was banded in 2005. I can remember how miserable I felt. It hurt so bad to get in and out of bed. I was also depressed for a few days. I was missing food. My sister and I were banded on the same day. On the third day after our surgery, I sent my husband for a McDonald's milk shake. My sister and I shared that shake. I don't know if it was the sugar or what, but we both started feeling better. After a week, we were both sore, but were getting back to normal. It gets better and it is worth it. We are happy with our bands and weight loss.

I know, you feel inside "What did I do to myself?" It will get better. I am just starting to feel completly normal after four months. This includes sit ups and rolling around in bed, getting up quick, etc. You can do it!

Thank you both for replying....I am feeling really down and out and thinking, why did I do this.....hopefully things will get better....thanks again for both of your posts....

I know it will get better. I am not at all hungry. I had 6 sips broth, 4 sips apple juice, one cup skim milk, one yogurt total for today. It sure would be nice to bend down and tie my shoes, though. My liquid Lortab isn't doing squat for me!

I am so sorry that you are having all of this pain. I was banded on the 20th, and the next day I was at our storage unit directing a moving company while they were loading up a truck. The next day I was up and about all day. I did not have any major pain, I was just a little sore. All I can recommed to get rid of the gas is to walk and/or move around.....movement helps it get out of your body quicker. The first day is the worse with the gas pain, but I promise you it gets better.

I was banded 6 days ago and let me tell you the first two days we're pure hell!! I didn't expect it to be that bad at all. By day three though I was feeling much better and today I feel pretty darn good! I played 9 holes of golf this afternoon!! Walking around alot really really helped me. The first two days it was very short walks...up and down the hallway a couple times. But the more I started walking the better I felt. I still have pretty bad gas pains and I feel pretty sore after I get full but compared to the first two days I feel a thousand times better. So trust me it will definitely get better. Hang in there!!

I have actually drank about 5 cups of broth throughout the day....eating popsicles, crystal lite, Jello, and still starving...I can't have milk or yogurt until I advance to full liquids....As far as the pain, yes, I am extremely sore....I know to walk...Had and have no problem getting up and walking right after surgery and everyday because I know that is what will help me heal faster too....There is extreme soreness but nothing like my C-Sections and tubal....I don't feel I have any restriction but at times it feels as though my stomach is having spasms....I know I have no saline in my band but usually after surgery due to being swollen, most people are not hungry....My main concern isn't pain/soreness...I know this will go away with time....My main concern is I am starving and my doctor makes us do Clear Liquids for a week after surgery, then full liquids for a week, then mushies x 1 wk, then solids......My BP too has been sky high since surgery....I have never had a problem with my BP....I thought could possibly be from the discomfort I am having but I took pain med and 45mins later got up to go to the bathroom and my BP is sky high and only coming down slightly after taking pain meds...

Hey, I just read your post and was glad to hear the pain went away with movement. I do not have a band date, I am in waiting. I have all my paperwork, appt. and meetings completed. Yes, Im nervous that's why I'm checking out the posts. Good luck to you!! Lookds like you are really on your way!!

I have actually drank about 5 cups of broth throughout the day....eating popsicles, crystal lite, Jello, and still starving...I can't have milk or yogurt until I advance to full liquids....As far as the pain, yes, I am extremely sore....I know to walk...Had and have no problem getting up and walking right after surgery and everyday because I know that is what will help me heal faster too....There is extreme soreness but nothing like my C-Sections and tubal....I don't feel I have any restriction but at times it feels as though my stomach is having spasms....I know I have no saline in my band but usually after surgery due to being swollen, most people are not hungry....My main concern isn't pain/soreness...I know this will go away with time....My main concern is I am starving and my doctor makes us do Clear Liquids for a week after surgery, then full liquids for a week, then mushies x 1 wk, then solids......My BP too has been sky high since surgery....I have never had a problem with my BP....I thought could possibly be from the discomfort I am having but I took pain med and 45mins later got up to go to the bathroom and my BP is sky high and only coming down slightly after taking pain meds...

I know what you mean... The clear liquids for a week is pretty scary. I am just trying to disctract myself as best as I can. For me, a lot of the hunger issues are "boredom" hungers.

Hello all-thought I'd give an update. I am now six months post banding and have lost 79 pounds as of Tuesday...down four pants sizes and feeling great!:confused:

Congratulations! That's a fantastic weight loss! Now, was it worth all the pain and discomfort? My surgery is in 11 days. Yikes!:biggrin:

Hey!

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I was in the same boat you were. Most people I have talked to don't hurt like that, but I understand.

As far as the trapped gas--it took me 3 days to start to get ride of it. Just keep walking and doing your breathing exercises (if they gave you any). Its really frustration you can also take chewable gas-x. That helped a little.

I coulnd't sit, stand, or bend without help. My mom had to help me with everything. It took me about 6 days to start being able to do stuff on my own again.

You will get there, though! :biggrin: I hope you feel better soon!!! If there is anything you need let me know!

Congrats on your new life!

Hey!

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I was in the same boat you were. Most people I have talked to don't hurt like that, but I understand.

As far as the trapped gas--it took me 3 days to start to get ride of it. Just keep walking and doing your breathing exercises (if they gave you any). Its really frustration you can also take chewable gas-x. That helped a little.

I coulnd't sit, stand, or bend without help. My mom had to help me with everything. It took me about 6 days to start being able to do stuff on my own again.

You will get there, though! :biggrin: I hope you feel better soon!!! If there is anything you need let me know!

Congrats on your new life!

***I noticed that you recently had the lapband done. I am worried about the post op care. I have a 2 year old, and worried due to reading some of the posts that the pain is really bad? Any suggestions? Thanks

Angie NC